JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

People saying that FP don't write his own lyrics

Where did the whole rumor about FP not writing his own lyrics come about? Was it from some FP haters who wanted to try and damage his credibility as an Hip Hop artist? Was it something that was made up in some tabloid article? Or was it something else?

I just get sick of people saying that other people wrote FP's songs for him. The one i hear the most is that NAS wrote Gettin Jiggy Wit It and Just Crusin

Edited by analogue

Over the years he has co-written some of his songs with other emcees. Kel Spencer, Common Sense, Nas, and Mad Skillz have all collaborated. People like Nas have said they didn't write song FOR him but that it would be a collaboration between the 2 of them. Or FP would write the song then give it to them and they'd flip certain things before laying vocals. Even back in the day, certain songs were written with Ready Rock C. We all know he can write classic songs. Why I'm not exactly for him writing songs with other people, but it doesn't bother me so much since most of these emcees have openly discussed the process with no hesitation only supporting the Fresh Prince...not discrediting him.

I co-sign that. A lot of people have asked me the same thing, and thats what I tell them.. Co-writting a song is nothing bad, i actually brings more quality to the music because u have different points of artistic view... Besides, all of them have showed mad respect for FP

• 1 year later...