JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Did Eminem record a song with JJ+FP?

I was just searching for some Skillz material online and this interview from a couple years back came up...I know this was posted before but I'm just a little confused...

http://theurbandaily.com/music/jbarrow/qa-skillz-bags-up-fake-rappers/
----------------
UD: To that point, do you feel you’ve picked a couple fights yourself, particularly with Eminem? Kinda goading him a little bit?
S: Maybe one time. But you gotta understand, any time I throw your name out there in a verse, in a disrespectful way, I feel like I have a reason. I never just pick on somebody. Not to discredit Em- he might be the greatest white rapper of all time. The dude is nice, you can’t take that away from him. But he dissed a person that’s very close to me. And I didn’t like it. And that person did not say anything, because to even answer Em would be beneath him, to the public eye. He said something about someone very close to me and I didn’t appreciate it.
UD: When he dissed Jermaine Dupri?
S: Nah. Jermaine Dupri and I ain’t friends at all. He said something about Will.
UD: Will Smith?
S: Right. And I didn’t appreciate it. Especially after he had been to Jazzy Jeff’s studio, recorded a song with Jazzy Jeff and Will. You know, who the **** is going to meet the Fresh Prince and be cocky? We all wanted to be the Fresh Prince. What nigga wouldn’t want the career the Fresh Prince has had? What nigga wouldn’t use that as inspiration?
When he said, “Will Smith don’t have to curse in his raps to sell records but I do/so **** him and **** you too,” I was like, nah, B. Not after you was just down there in the studio! I ain’t appreciate that.
--------------

I'll ask Jeff & Skillz the next time I see them about this...unless Skillz is talking about "When to Stand Up" cause perhaps Will was in the studio but just not on the track.

I was just searching for some Skillz material online and this interview from a couple years back came up...I know this was posted before but I'm just a little confused...

http://theurbandaily.com/music/jbarrow/qa-skillz-bags-up-fake-rappers/

----------------

UD: To that point, do you feel you’ve picked a couple fights yourself, particularly with Eminem? Kinda goading him a little bit?

S: Maybe one time. But you gotta understand, any time I throw your name out there in a verse, in a disrespectful way, I feel like I have a reason. I never just pick on somebody. Not to discredit Em- he might be the greatest white rapper of all time. The dude is nice, you can’t take that away from him. But he dissed a person that’s very close to me. And I didn’t like it. And that person did not say anything, because to even answer Em would be beneath him, to the public eye. He said something about someone very close to me and I didn’t appreciate it.

UD: When he dissed Jermaine Dupri?

S: Nah. Jermaine Dupri and I ain’t friends at all. He said something about Will.

UD: Will Smith?

S: Right. And I didn’t appreciate it. Especially after he had been to Jazzy Jeff’s studio, recorded a song with Jazzy Jeff and Will. You know, who the **** is going to meet the Fresh Prince and be cocky? We all wanted to be the Fresh Prince. What nigga wouldn’t want the career the Fresh Prince has had? What nigga wouldn’t use that as inspiration?

When he said, “Will Smith don’t have to curse in his raps to sell records but I do/so **** him and **** you too,” I was like, nah, B. Not after you was just down there in the studio! I ain’t appreciate that.

--------------

I'll ask Jeff & Skillz the next time I see them about this...unless Skillz is talking about "When to Stand Up" cause perhaps Will was in the studio but just not on the track.

I'm thinking he must just have been thinking of the song he made with Jazzy Jeff otherwise i would think we would of heard of another track.

Yeah, it's been confirmed that the 3 of them were in the studio together but I think this is the ONLY things that's ever hinted that they actually recorded a song together. It's be interesting 2 see what kind of song they could have recorded together with FP and Eminem on vocals. I'm having a tough time figuring out what kind of subject matter they could work together on. Beyond the comedy and story-telling, I'm clueless.

Yeah it'd be interesting to hear what type of song that JJFP & Eminem came up with if it does exist, it's about time we get some JJFP Lost Tapes out there

Jazzy needs 2 start sliding exclusives 2 the fans. If it's not wack and it's never going to be released, it's easy 2 just let something get out there and not worry about legal issues.

I don't know about a real JJ+FP+Eminem track. But many years ago there was an very detailed information about the Will Smith vs. Eminem thing in the Vibe Magazine.

JJ was doing a track with Eminem ..."When to stand up" and had following lyrics ....

Yo
At birth I was born with the biggest middle finger on earth
The first time I went to stick it up the **** hurt
Moms wouldn't take it, the bitch still hates me
One day she said, "Go rake leaves," I said, "Make me!"
I'm proud to announce i was probably the first kid
Who was kicked out of his house for making fart sounds with his mouth
Arguing with me and mom was on-going
She called law enforcement when I broke the law mower
The slut gave me a truck when I turned sixteen
I went to start it and it screamed, "Please fix me!"
Back then, when Will Smith was still the Fresh Prince
And him and Jeff were still best friends, I guess then
I decided to cut class to rap full time
And get the **** outta the fake school and rhyme
Anybody who thinks this ****in attitude is a gimmick
Come and see me, see if I don't live up to this image
Break ****!

So Jeff was calling Will and he was getting into Jeffs Studio. When Will stepped in the room, Eminem was shocked and could not move his pen and go on writing. Obviously Will heared Eminem's track Bonnie and Clyde before and said that he liked it. Eminem was really humbled and said that he was his rolemodel, hero....something like that.

Btw, for the people who have not heared the SSLP. Bonnie & Clyde is basically a rip-off from Just the two of us of the BWS album.

The information were from former ATOJ producers, they were having an interview with Vibe. They had the same reaction as Skillz and were very disappointed about Eminem, but it was great that they exposed him really bad.

But lets forget the past....JJ and Eminem seem to be cool with each other, because they were doing some shows together with the Roots.

A WS+Eminem collabo could be groundbreaking!

Edited by Jin

I remember I posted that Skillz interview and I posted that Vibe article on this forum, I personally don't really care that much for a JJFP + Eminem collab these days, it woulda been hot 10 years ago but these days I rather see JJFP work with someone on their level like LL Cool J or Rakim

Thanks alot Jin and Ted, do you have a link to the article at all?

It would def be ground-breaking. I really wonder what the intention was for when Em dissed Will, I heard that it was because Will won a VMA in '99 and said he never cursed in any of his records or killed anyone in any of his records but still manages to get up here and accept the award.

I mean, yes its old news but its very interesting to me. I wonder what Jeff thought the whole time..

I never really took that song "The Real Slim Shady" as a serious diss song towards Will especially since he's making fun of himself in most of the song if you listen to the lyrics, I remember I typed that article from that issue of Vibe a few years ago and posted it on this forum, I still have that issue somewhere in my room so I could search for it and retype it for you if you want to read it Jim

EDIT: Here's a part of that article Jim that mentions JJFP being in the studio with Eminem, this comes from the October 2005 Issue Of Vibe Magazine:

Carvin Higgins: "One day Jazzy Jeff was working on his mixtape, and we had Eminem down there. This was before Eminem was Eminem. So, Em was writing this rap for Jeff's mixtape. When he looked up and saw Will walk in, he looked back down at his paper, but his pencil didn't move for a good five minutes. And then Will was like, "Oh, you did the 'Bonnie and Clyde' record? Yo dude, you're really talented." And Em acutally said, "You know some of my storywriting comes rom what you and Jeff did," which was the craziest thing."

Edited by bigted

The TRSS lyric is actually a diss to Eminem and props to Will, if you think about it. Em says he has to curse to sell records, basically saying, if he didnt put edge on his music, he woudlnt sell. Thats my take anyway.

A collab about world issues between the 2 would be earth shaking for hip hop. If it ever happened, wow!

Speaking of songs on world issues, I think both Will and Eminem were among those that were originally supposed to be on "We Are The World" song for Haiti that didn't end up making the cut

Edited by bigted