Jump to content
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Radewart

Men in Black 3

Recommended Posts

Mike Soccio is working on the threequel, but the new THR reports that co-writers aren’t clear who he is.
Screenwriter Mike Soccio has no significant movie credits. But that doesn't mean he hasn't worked on some major films, including Sony's upcoming Men in Black threequel. This comes as news to other writers on the film, who don't quite seem to know who Soccio is even though he has been working on the project for months, according to sources familiar with the production.

THR previously reported, MIB3 went into production in November for a planned May 2012 release, despite Sony not having a script that met with star Will Smith's approval. The studio's very unusual plan was to begin filming the first act based on a screenplay by Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder). Then the production was to go into hiatus from December through mid-February to allow time for the rest of the script to be rewritten.

Even as filming began on the $200 million-plus project, Sony brought in screenwriter Jeff Nathanson (Catch Me If You Can). Then David Koepp, who did uncredited work on the first MIB, took a crack at the script. More recently, sources say, Cohen went back to work on
the project.

Still, Sony did not have a script that pleased Smith, so the studio pushed back resumption of production to March 28. Studio spokesman Steve Elzer says production has begun again.

Although Soccio has not been credited, a source familiar with the situation says he has worked on many Smith films. What's unclear is exactly how much work Soccio has done on the upcoming MIB and why his presence seems to be so below the radar that other MIBwriters weren't told about him. While other comic actors -- Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler-- regularly bring in particular writers who have a way of capturing their voices, "I've never heard of it being kept sort of quiet," one agent says.

Soccio, his agency UTA and manager Jared Hoffman at Generate, declined to be interviewed.

Soccio and Smith go all the way back to Smith's days on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. (Soccio wrote several episodes of the series, pictured below, and made an onscreen appearance in 1995.) It's not clear whether Soccio has sought a credit on any of Smith's movies, but if Sony failed to provide his name in connection with MIB3, then it might violate WGA rules requiring studios to notify writers of others who are currently working on or previously have worked on a particular project.

But it's unlikely any of the other writers would care to make an issue of it. (After all, Koepp -- to give an example -- pulled down more than $250,000 a week for his services.)

In an e-mailed statement, Sony says Cohen and "other writers" were aware that Soccio "is a long-time and well-known collaborator on Will's projects." The studio adds that Soccio "was hired for minor on-set punch-up work during our initial production period while Etan was not on location. If any writer was unaware of his involvement, we regret that."

But it seems Soccio was not well-known, and sources say his involvement has extended well beyond the initial production period. Cohen's spokesman tells THR via e-mail, "Etan is aware that Will Smith works with Mike Soccio," which doesn't quite address whether Cohen was aware that Soccio was functioning as a writer paid by the studio, working for months and turning in pages. Sources with knowledge of the situation say other writers on the project were unfamiliar with Soccio.

Soccio did seek a credit for work on Sony's 2010 remake of The Karate Kid, starring Smith's son Jaden Smith, but the Writers Guild recognized only Christopher Murphey.

SOURCE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ima see if I get casted for the movie, Im almost 6'4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here comes the man in black..

10 New Set Pics from ‘Men in Black 3′ Arrive

Ten new pictures from the set of Sony’s upcoming action-adventure film Men in Black 3 have landed online. In the pics will can see an upbeat Will Smith as Agent J preparing for some of his scenes. While some may say the pics are boring, I’d rather point out that the pics are thrilling-diminished.

Still any behind-the-scenes stills from Men in Black 3, I’ll take.

Men in Black 3 features the return of Will Smith as Agent J and Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K. Due out May 25, 2012, the film centers on a villain (Jemaine Clement) traveling to the American 1960s to kill young Agent K, which will, of course, kick off events that will end the world. Our alien crime busting duo travel travel back in time to stop him.

Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, Men in Black 3 also stars Josh Brolin as young Agent K, Emma Thompson, Alice Eve and Nicole Scherzinger.

Men in Black 3 was formally announced by Sony during the ShoWest convention in 2009.

http://movienewsguide.com/620/news/10-set-pics-men-black-3-arrive/

Edited by Ale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn Big Willie looks younger than me.. Frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sledge Hammer might just nail Men in Black 3!

David Rasche (Ugly Betty) has joined the cast of HBO's comedy series Bored to Death as a recurring. He will play Bernard Morse, a West Coast rival for George Christopher (Ted Danson). Morse is a health nut with an affinity for Scottish Terriers, and he made his fortune in Silicon Valley with Philip K. Dick-like innovations. Rasche, repped by Innovative and Liebman Entertainment, also recently booked the role of Agent X in Men in Black 3D, which originally was planned for Alec Baldwin.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/hbo-castings-jeff-daniels-closes-for-sorkin-pilot-five-join-returning-series/#more-119542

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Soccio is working on the threequel, but the new THR reports that co-writers aren't clear who he is.

Screenwriter Mike Soccio has no significant movie credits. But that doesn't mean he hasn't worked on some major films, including Sony's upcoming Men in Black threequel. This comes as news to other writers on the film, who don't quite seem to know who Soccio is even though he has been working on the project for months, according to sources familiar with the production.

THR previously reported, MIB3 went into production in November for a planned May 2012 release, despite Sony not having a script that met with star Will Smith's approval. The studio's very unusual plan was to begin filming the first act based on a screenplay by Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder). Then the production was to go into hiatus from December through mid-February to allow time for the rest of the script to be rewritten.

Even as filming began on the $200 million-plus project, Sony brought in screenwriter Jeff Nathanson (Catch Me If You Can). Then David Koepp, who did uncredited work on the first MIB, took a crack at the script. More recently, sources say, Cohen went back to work on
the project.

Still, Sony did not have a script that pleased Smith, so the studio pushed back resumption of production to March 28. Studio spokesman Steve Elzer says production has begun again.

Although Soccio has not been credited, a source familiar with the situation says he has worked on many Smith films. What's unclear is exactly how much work Soccio has done on the upcoming MIB and why his presence seems to be so below the radar that other MIBwriters weren't told about him. While other comic actors -- Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler-- regularly bring in particular writers who have a way of capturing their voices, "I've never heard of it being kept sort of quiet," one agent says.

Soccio, his agency UTA and manager Jared Hoffman at Generate, declined to be interviewed.

Soccio and Smith go all the way back to Smith's days on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. (Soccio wrote several episodes of the series, pictured below, and made an onscreen appearance in 1995.) It's not clear whether Soccio has sought a credit on any of Smith's movies, but if Sony failed to provide his name in connection with MIB3, then it might violate WGA rules requiring studios to notify writers of others who are currently working on or previously have worked on a particular project.

But it's unlikely any of the other writers would care to make an issue of it. (After all, Koepp -- to give an example -- pulled down more than $250,000 a week for his services.)

In an e-mailed statement, Sony says Cohen and "other writers" were aware that Soccio "is a long-time and well-known collaborator on Will's projects." The studio adds that Soccio "was hired for minor on-set punch-up work during our initial production period while Etan was not on location. If any writer was unaware of his involvement, we regret that."

But it seems Soccio was not well-known, and sources say his involvement has extended well beyond the initial production period. Cohen's spokesman tells THR via e-mail, "Etan is aware that Will Smith works with Mike Soccio," which doesn't quite address whether Cohen was aware that Soccio was functioning as a writer paid by the studio, working for months and turning in pages. Sources with knowledge of the situation say other writers on the project were unfamiliar with Soccio.

Soccio did seek a credit for work on Sony's 2010 remake of The Karate Kid, starring Smith's son Jaden Smith, but the Writers Guild recognized only Christopher Murphey.

SOURCE

This is unbelievable that you would go that far into production with a script you wern't happy with! Wow.. My expectations of this being a good movie have significantly dropped..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little bit scared with that movie...
It's quite a risk to make a third movie of MIB 10 years after the second, which was not really good...

And it's the same thing with Bad Boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little bit scared with that movie...

It's quite a risk to make a third movie of MIB 10 years after the second, which was not really good...

And it's the same thing with Bad Boys.

I don't think 'Bad Boys 3' could be a risk since many people liked the second part (including myself). Michael Bay might not be the greatest director ever, but he sure knows how to make a good action movie. I can't say the same for Barry Sonnenfeld. This can be a flop just like 'Wild Wild West' or 'Men In Black II'. Let's hope not.

Edited by Ale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this blog form a lady doing makeup on MIB3. She has some pics of the Alien make-up that will be in the movie(probably the only thing left in the movie to look foward too).

http://professionalmakeupbymelissadaloia.blogspot.com/2011/04/men-in-black-3.html

Edited by Radewart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Black' for more as third installment of sci-fi blockbuster will film again in Queens

Here come the Men in Black - to film in Queens.

The popular franchise starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as galaxy-defending secret agents is shooting its third installment at Kaufman Astoria Studios.

Sony, which is making "Men in Black III," chose the 36th St. complex because of its "tremendously talented New York-based crews and the first-rate facility," said movie publicist Frances Fiore.

Studio spokeswoman Vanessa Morin hailed the "terrific project" for creating production jobs.

It's a homecoming of sorts for the sci-fi action comedy brand, which has embraced the borough.

The original 1997 flick famously re-created two local landmarks, the New York State Pavilion and Unisphere, for the setting of its climactic scene.

The main characters, Agent J (Smith) and Agent K (Jones), also drove upside down on the ceiling of the Midtown Tunnel.

That blockbuster grossed $587 million worldwide and won rave reviews. But public interest since seems to have waned.

A 2002 sequel on the alien-regulating group earned far less than the original at about $442 million worldwide, and most critics panned the plot.

"Men in Black III" isn't off to a great start, either.

Haggling over the movie script delayed filming for a month in the fall, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Then Sony began shooting in November with only one act completed.

Rumors are swirling that Smith doesn't like the writing, and director Barry Sonnenfeld keeps clashing with producer Walter Parkes.

Despite those reports, Fiore insisted that work on the threequel is "proceeding smoothly."

"The director and the actors are friends who have made many movies together," she said. "The production has been going great."

It's unknown whether "Men in Black III" will include as many cameos by prominent New York sites as the original.

But the new story line appears to bode well for another Queens appearance.

In the 1997 flick, a spaceship flies over a Mets game at Shea Stadium. The new film calls for Agent J to go back in time to 1969 - the year the Mets won their first World Series.

Preservationists who slam the city for neglecting the New York State Pavilion hope the film will revisit the site and increase appreciation of the 1964 World's Fair.

"I would love it," said John Piro, 62, of Westbury, L.I. "The more exposure we get, the better it is."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2011/04/07/2011-04-07_black_for_more_sequel_to_scifi_blockbuster_will_film_in_borough.html?r=entertainment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if it is exposure for good purposes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×