JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Men in Black 3

Radewart

Will Smith: I Wanted My Life to Be Like 'Dallas'

In person, Will Smith has the same larger-than-life presence that he does onscreen so it's no surprise that his childhood fantasies were pretty spectacular.

On Thursday, while promoting his latest film Men in Black 3 (which hits theaters May 25), Smith, 43, opened up about his childhood and the surprising inspirations behind his life and career.

"As a child, I watched Dallas and that was my vision for my life for as long as I could remember. How does that property have a name? Southfork!...Everyone worked the family business," said Smith. "And I was like 'I want that!' So I've been a mad scientist ever since trying to build Dallas through Star Wars and rap music."

He added, "The joy [of life now] is watching an idea that I had at seven years old coming into fruition. I am actually building the family that I've always dreamed about...Building a family around the entertainment business. I love watching my kids and my family blossom from something that was a seed from a seven-year-old's mind."

Read on for how he and wife Jada Pinkett Smith keep their kids grounded and his friendly competition with his son:

On his love of franchises.

"The greatest experience I ever had in a movie theater was Star Wars. It shaped how I looked at the world. My imagination was so small before I went into that movie theater and it was an explosion. I just couldn't figure out how someone came up with that or make me feel like that. For me, there is nothing more valuable than how people feel in a movie theater about a movie. Even more than awards, which have never been that important to me. Those are about what a small group of people think. For me, it's about the maximum amount of people that can have an experience that will give them a little germ to think or talk about. That's all that is important to me in making movies."

His current approach to his career.

"The adjustment I am making in my career right now is about the clarity of what we are saying with the movie. There has to an idea, there has to be some message or statement. With Men in Black 3, we connected to the destructive nature of secrets. That idea, whether you get that or not, is what were are displaying. It's about how a relationship can get repaired and go to another level through the exposure of a secret."

"I love producing. I am loving doing that. I think that is my most natural space in the business. I just love producing or editing and that's where I thrive."

How he keeps his children grounded.

"The most difficult part of the whole thing is emotional management. To be able to have them connect to the artistry of what they create rather than connecting to the success or the adoration. Jada and I have been talking a lot about pullling back during teenage years because they are very formative. In the middle of the Justin Bieber tour she saw a Russian ballerina or something and she was riveted. She wanted to go home and take ballet and it was like, 'No, honey, you have seven more tour dates.' [laughs] But now she is way gone on ballet. So it's the difficulty of letting the business go and let them develop in the way that is more natural for them."

On Bad Boys 3

"It has a really solid idea behind it right now. For the most part, I am just looking for material that resonates."

On Tommy Lee Jones.

"Tommy Lee Jones is hilarious. I would say, if you look at the body of his work, the character he is most like is the one in The Fugitive. That's how he talks and jokes. That is the type of energy he has."

His friendly competition with his son Jaden.

"Jaden has a little bit of a predatory look in his eye. He is so coming for me. I tell him all the time, 'Son, I am going to teach you everything that I know and if you work hard, you can be the second biggest movie star in the world.' [laughs]"

On Willow cutting her hair.

"We let Willow cut her hair. When you have a little girl, it's like how can you teach her that you're in control of her body? If I teach her that I'm in charge of whether or not she can touch her hair, she's going to replace me with some other man when she goes out in the world. She can't cut my hair but that's her hair. She has got to have command of her body. So when she goes out into the world, she's going out with a command that is hers. She is used to making those decisions herself. We try to keep giving them those decisions until they can hold the full weight of their lives."

Reacting to Jay Pharoah's SNL impersonation of him.

"He's got Denzel [Washington] down but he doesn't really have me. He does 'WHOAAAH!" I don't do that. His Denzel is really good. Denzel might not think that."

http://www.kitsapsun...or-2-and-being/

-----

Another great read :clap:

Edited by Ale

Men in Black III: Interview – Will Smith

http://vodpod.com/wa...view-will-smith

-----

Will Smith Keeps Swingin' at 'MiB'

Will Smith is back for a third time at bat with the Men in Black blockbuster franchise, and the A-lister jokes to our own Nancy O'Dell, "Listen, I keep swingin' at this thing, hopin' to hit somethin'."

Watch the video to hear Will talk about teaming up with son Jaden for their new sci-fi flick, After Earth…

Will is excited for the world to see the new Men in Black 3, in theaters May 25, and he admits that the second Men in Black movie didn't quite go the way they had hoped it would.

"When the first movie came out it was such a huge conceptual hit -- you just had never seen anything like that," says Will. "It was kind of strange and different and new, and then we made the second film and everyone kind of felt like, 'Ugh, we didn't go with the second one the way that we wanted.' We just wanted to be absolutely certain that we were making a fantastic movie before we went back in, and not make it just for the sake of making a third one."

The long-awaited third installment of the Men in Black franchise finds Agents J (Smith) and K (Tommy Lee Jones) feeling a little too old to battle unwieldy aliens day in and day out. But when history is somehow rewritten and K ceases to exist, J must travel back in time to put things right, literally diving right into 1969 to team up with a younger version of K (played by a pitch-perfect Josh Brolin) to save his partner, the agency, and the future of humankind.

Will confirms that there are some fun cameos in the movie by such stars as Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber, but you have to have an eagle eye to catch 'em: "It's just a flash in the background and you've got to really be paying attention to notice that," says Will with a smile.

Video!

http://www.etonline...._MiB/index.html

Edited by Ale

Would Jones & Brolin Time Travel to the '60s?

Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin play an older and younger version of Agent K in Men in Black 3, in theaters May 25, and Josh said that playing Tommy in the sci-fi comedy was "a little disconcerting at first."

Josh says that he never actually did his Tommy Lee Jones impression in front of Tommy, and they still haven't even seen the movie together. "Maybe we should create a screening where it's just Tommy and I, and you guys can film it," he jokes. "That would be nerve wracking."

"I think Josh did a good job," says Tommy, choosing not to elaborate. "I thought he played his part in the movie very well."

The long-awaited third installment of the Men in Black franchise finds Agents J (Will Smith) and K (Jones) feeling a little too old to battle unwieldy aliens day in and day out. But when history is somehow rewritten and K ceases to exist, J must travel back in time to put things right, literally diving right into 1969 to team up with a younger version of K (Brolin) to save his partner, the agency, and the future of humankind.

If Tommy could time travel back to the '60s, would he? "Oh hell no," says Tommy with a laugh. "I don't think there are any good ol' days anywhere. This is the good ol' day. I think we're better now."

"You had really bad TV shows like Mr. Ed and Lost in Space," laughs Josh about the hippie decade. "The '60s was a wild time, man. It all just kind of broke open then."

So, would Tommy do another Men in Black? "Yeah," he replies, matter of fact. "We're gonna start tomorrow, I hope."

Video!

http://www.etonline.com/movies/121467_Would_Tommy_Lee_Jones_Josh_Brolin_Time_Travel_to_the_60s/index.html

Will Smith Is Back In ‘Black’

After three years, Will Smith returns to the big screen in his new movie, “Men in Black 3.” So, how did get the idea of travelling back in time? Plus, he chats about co-star Josh Brolin’s perfect imitation of Tommy Lee Jones’ voice. Lastly, did he suffer any injuries while filming?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/will-smith-is-back-in-black_video_1399825

Will Smith Defends ‘Indestructible’ Marriage With Jada

While he gears up for the release of his new movie, “Men In Black 3,” Will Smith is dealing with the tabloids’ constant questioning of his marriage to Jada ¿ so, how does he handle the negative press?

http://www.accesshollywood.com/will-smith-defends-indestructible-marriage-with-jada_video_1399755

The actor is also currently in talks to star with Denzel Washington in a remake of "Uptown Saturday Night," though nothing has been confirmed.

"We're trying to get it together, me and Denzel. That would be a great thing. Again, the material has to be right to deserve all that man power," says the star. "When I first asked Denzel, he's like, 'I'm not funny, man.' I was like, 'That was funny, that you said that!' He was a little concerned about the comedy. We're working on it.'"

(CLICK ON THE MEDIA BAR FOR AUDIO)

http://www.hollywood...hington-uptown/

-----

Will Smith on Hologram Tupac, What his Kids Think of ‘Fresh Prince’

*Will Smith’s new movie “Men in Black 3” is not only loaded with state-of-the-art special effects that puts the 1997 original to shame, but its his first-ever film shot in 3D …which he admits gave him pause.

“My first concern with being in 3D was my ears, because I could see these things taking over pretty much the whole of the screen,” Smith told us Thursday during roundtables for the film in Beverly Hills. “When I first saw it and it was cool, I was like alright, we didn’t have me looking like satellite dishes. And special effects now, you can see anything. Like there are no limitations with special effects.”

Case in point – Tupac.

“That was crazy,” he said of the late rapper’s hologram that performed with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg at the recent Coachella Music Festival. “That was like, ‘Whoa! Hey, that’s a little too good. Let’s back that technology off a little bit.’”

Asked if he thought virtual Tupac went too far, Smith said, “No, it was great! But it was so great that it was chilling. That’s the world that we live in now, so it’s just a matter of the artist figuring out how to create it in a way that it’s most effective for the audience.”

Smith says his own audiences are getting younger and younger these days, with much of the fans knowing him as simply Willow and Jaden’s daddy. There are, however, legions of kids around the world who have been introduced to the movie star through reruns of his NBC comedy “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air”

“What’s crazy for me is that ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ is the biggest thing I’ve ever done,” says Smith. “It’s like I’m the Fresh Prince everywhere I go in the world. ‘El Principe!’ You know, it’s just amazing. A 9-year-old kid in Moscow watching the ‘Fresh Prince’ thinks it’s brand new, so when I show up, it’s as if it’s brand new. The ‘Fresh Prince’ has been a huge gift for me in that sense.”

But one person’s gift is another person’s embarrassment. In the audio below, Smith reveals what his kids Jaden and Willow think about him as the Fresh Prince.

http://www.eurweb.co...f-fresh-prince/

Edited by Ale

Will Will Smith Coming to Spain to present MIB 3? I want to surprise sb.

Hey, another Spanish over here! :wave2: Welcome. I'm sure he'll come to Spain to promote the movie next month.

But, is it possible to know which day will be in Madrid?

I don't know about that yet, I just know he'll be in Paris on May 11th, in Berlin on May 14th and in New York on May 23rd. And he'll probably be in UK on May 16th. But I don't know which day he'll be promoting the movie in Madrid. We'll know it soon though! :)

It's official, dude! Will is coming to Madrid :) More info here:

http://www.canalhollywood.es/minisites/1204-men-in-black-3/index.html

-----

Josh Brolin Isolated Himself Before Playing Young Tommy Lee Jones in 'Men In Black 3'

Admitting that playing the younger version of Jones' K is a daunting task, the 'Milk' actor says that the first time he nabbed the role, he 'got really frustrated' and 'wanted to quit.'

Though he often received praises for his performances in several high-profile films, Josh Brolin admitted that playing the younger version of Tommy Lee Jones' K in "Men in Black 3" is a very daunting task. The 44-year-old actor admitted that he even had to isolate himself in preparation to portray the notable veteran actor.

"I just went and rented a little motel down in Mexico with my computer and my GarageBand, and just kind of went through it," Brolin said in a recent interview about the upcoming action comedy movie. The California native went on confessing that before the production began, he considered to give up the role.

"I got really frustrated, wanted to quit, wanted to call Sony and say, 'You're wasting your money doing this because I can't do this.' You know, all the actor stuff that people go through," so the husband of actress Diane Lane said. "And then you start to go, 'Oh my god, that's one thing that sounds good'."

Brolin opened up that the idea of him portraying young Jones accidentally came from his joke with director Barry Sonnenfeld. He shared, "[it was] a bad impression that I used to do for Barry. You know, we're out and we're with the Coen [brothers]. 'You're doing the Nick Nolte's, the Tommy Lee Jones' - and really bad versions - then somebody calls you and says, 'Hey! You wanna do this mega movie and play a young Tommy Lee Jones' - for a billion people to judge?"

Brolin, who usually tackles serious roles in award-contending movies, additionally shared about what drove him to join the "Man in Black" franchise. "As a whole, serious movies are much more fun to work on than comedies because you're compensating for the drama, so people usually have a brilliant time," he said.

"It sounds so cliche, but I just want to keep challenging myself," the actor continued. "My goal isn't to do as many mega-films as I possibly can. My goal is to be on my deathbed and to look back and kind of chuckle. And I'm starting to chuckle now."

Based on the Malibu Comic by Lowell Cunningham, "Men in Black 3", which will focus on time travel involving Smith's Agent J, is scheduled to open in the U.S. on May 25. Bringing back Jones and Will Smith as unlikely duo K and J, the movie is also supported by Jemaine Clement, Emma Thompson, Nicole Scherzinger, Alice Eve and Bill Hader.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00050258.html

Thanks Ale for all the news, interviews, etc..you're the best! The movie is just days away, I can't wait

Someone asked about a Spanish premiere for the movie. Maybe is already been posted here but just in case:

EVENTOS

13/05/2012
PREMIERE MEN IN BLACK III en 3D

Domingo 13 de mayo después de la Final MUTUA MADRID OPEN en la caja Mágica, premiere de MEN IN BLACK III con la asistencia de Will Smith.

I don't know why they're doing it in La Caja Mágica. Callao now is much better for events like this and easier for me to get there ;-)

Edited by Sandy

You're welcome guys! :wave2:

-----

Kevin McCarthy sat down with Men In Black 3 stars Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin.

Emmy winner Jake Hamilton sits down with the stars of MEN IN BLACK 3 -- Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin.

Edited by Ale

Will Smith on MIB3: "When I Get That Suit On, It All Comes Back"

There's one thing that made Will Smith nervous when it came to stepping back into alien-fighting Agent J's famous suit for Men in Black 3.

"I wanted to make sure it fit," says Will, laughing. "[Men in Black 2] was quite some time ago.

Ten years to be exact.

The threequel features retro aliens [over 127 different aliens were designed for the film], time travel and Josh Brolin as Tommy Lee Jones' Agent K circa 1969.

"He so perfectly nailed Tommy Lee Jones," says Will. "He got a standing ovation his first time on the set."

Josh adds, "I'm accepted into the club now."

Hit the clip above to hear from Will, Josh, TLJ and director Barry Sonnenfeld and to find out why Will would pass on the chance to travel back in time in real life.

http://www.cambio.com/2012/05/05/will-smith-on-mib3-when-i-get-that-suit-on-it-all-come/