JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Peedi Crakk outta Jail

VIsqo

I think that the mainstream music fanbase only likes what they are forced to hear. They only like it cuz that's what's there. Have someone who has no knowledge of music listen 2 some typical crap that gets radio play and then something that's actually quality and I think most people are going to choose good music. I refuse to believe the the mass majority is dumb enough to like some of the ignorant music that is popular.

I'm with you here AJ, I think if radio stations offered more good music that more people would actually listen... Now on Turntable's point it's good now that people don't have to wait for the radio/TV to play something in order to discover it because more people are getting into the internet these days.... That statement of how the mass majority like dumbed downed music is dead 'cause a lot of people over the internet actually discover the good music, people go on the internet and watch KRS, JJFP, Queen Latifah, LL, etc.. videos in 2010, I read comments on youtube from 15 year olds saying that they hate Soulja Boy and that they enjoy music from Rakim, it's encouraging....

Edited by bigted

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to believe that, but it's not true. The biggest target group for the radio are girls and women, and they mostlt dont wanna hear Rakim, they wanna hear some dumbed down bubblegum rap song with melody. They also for example play LL's Baby, it's all about the hook and the pop beat.

I bet if the radio played Rakim as much as they play Lil' Wayne that he'd go platinum 'cause it's a fact that he did go platinum before when the radio did play him, there's an audience out there that has been turned off from the dumbing down of what's on the radio, and I know that it's a fact that there's girls/women out there who appreciate good music as well...

Edited by bigted

Yeah good music, but not raw Hip Hop (ofcourse not all of them, just sayin' the average one). That's why they also like Jay-Z's Empire State Of Mind, LL's Baby or Switch. You cant compare the early 90's or the 80's with today, because Platinum realy wasnt that much back then, Rakim wasn't the succesfull one, Vanilla Ice was. Whne it comes to the majroity of people, it's about a somehow melodic/club beat, not to complicated lyrics and a catchy hook. It is how it is.

You're right Turntable of how Vanilla Ice was going diamond back then but there was more variety being played on the radio compared to now: you had JJFP, Eric B.& Rakim, LL Cool J, Heavy D, Salt-N-Pepa, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Ice Cube etc. all getting airplay.... Now it seems like they play Lil' Wayne and hardly anyone else except the others who sound similar which is a problem that radio has and I'm sure it's a fact that less people listen to the radio these days from that reason, more variety is needed, that's why there's others like us who go on the internet for music more than radio....

The bottom line is this. The industry controls the immature music fan. Record labels don't care if an artist has talent = immature music fans don't care if an artist has talent. People like whatever they are force-fed or exposed to. Radio force feeds the talent-lacking, no self respect-having artists (scratch that)...performers. Therefore, that's what the immature music fan will like. Unfortunately immature music fans and young impressional people are the majority of who listen to Top 40 radio. Case closed.

If the radio took a year to play Rakim's new album, LL upcoming album, Mos Def's new album (ect...) and avoid stupid performers like Lil' Wayne, those would be the super stars of that year. It's as easy as that.

I think we all made strong points when it comes to how the radio programmers have messed up and ignored the talented artists.... Now as far as Peedi Crakk, "Brand New Funk 2K7" is probably the worst song on "The Return Of The Magnificent" album, nobody besides JJFP shoulda redone that classic...

I used to be more on AJ's train of thought, that is optimistic. I believed that if you expose these people who are just ignorant of all the quality hip hop that out there, to someone with talent- they would appreciate it. That started to change last summer. I wanted to see if I could convert a girl I worked with. She said she liked lil' Wayne and anyone else you can think of on that "level." I let her listen to Nas' "Hero." I let her listen to k-os. I let her listen a Will Smith song that wasn't a single. Everything was above her head because she couldn't keep up with what was being said, and what's worse, she didn't want to. Wack rappers keep it simple because they ARE simple. Like Turntable said, she is a part of the main demographic that controls what hits the radio.

I've exposed quality hip hop to many people. For most, they seem to try to tune it out. But once one of their BS songs about nothing comes on, they get into it. I hold out hope sometimes, but for the most part, the choices of this generation with music have jaded me into thinking I'm smarter than all of them.

Edited by Silver Tiger

Well that's something that I don't get and I'm not sure if I fully agree with it. At least to a certain extent. Those people can often come up with well-thought theories on life, etc. but the next minute they could be singing along to a song that's calling them a ho. Their brain is firing, but not something isn't connecting.

Like I said, some people do not need music to stimulate their minds, they listen to music to get their mind off of things, to relax or to have fun, without realy using their brain for once. Most of these people are girls, I can't blame them for that and it is foolish to call them out for stupid or anything like that, because I'm sure there are some people out there who listen to music that is much more inteligent than a Will Smith record and I doubt they would start calling you stupid. To what music someone is listening is really not that big of a deal, it's like Comedy, just because somebody prevers watching a Martin Lawrence stand up show and laugh about fart jokes instead of watching a Lewis Black show does not mean that he's not inteligent enough to understand what Lewis Black is saying. Entertainment is still entertainment, I'f I'd be you, I'd be more concerned about what kind of car people drive instead of what kind music they are bumping in their car, because cars can **** up a lot and music, well, doesn't that much.

Edited by Turntable

Well, Like i said, these people are smart, they have strong opinions and views of the world. But when it comes to music, they go back 30 IQ points. I don't buy the "I just wanna relax" idea. I've said it myself, I don't need my songs to be preaching to me every bar, but I don't want to hear an off-tune ***hole calling women b*tches all the time either (or ever, for that matter).

And why are you bringing up cars? For all you know, I'm diligently reading up on every story of a runaway Prius that hits the press. I could be, but it would be irrelevant. We are on a music forum talking about what people listen to. So what if I have my own opinion on the matter? Should I be interjecting with a "BUT WHAT ABOUT WHAT CAR THEY DRIVE?"