JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye's College Dropout Album Of The Decade

VIsqo

Kanye's College Dropout Album Of The Decade

Entertainment Weekly recently announced what they think are the Top 10 Album of the Decade. Taking the number one spot is Kanye West's debut album, "The College Dropout." Jay-Z, or "big brother" as Kanye refers to him, had his "Blueprint" album land in 2nd while Jiggas wife Beyonce and Outkast also made the list. So do you agree?

Entertainment Weekly's Top 10 Albums Of The Decade

1. The College Dropout, Kanye West (2004)

2. The Blueprint, Jay-Z (2001)

3. Kid A, Radiohead (2000)

4. Stankonia, OutKast (2000)

5. Love And Theft, Bob Dylan (2001)

6. Home, The Dixie Chicks (2002)

7. Funeral, The Arcade Fire (2004)

8. I Am… Sasha Fierce, Beyoncé (2008)

9. FutureSex/LoveSounds, Justin Timberlake, (2006)

10. You Are Free, Cat Power (2003)

What do yall think about this list?

http://www.rapbasement.com/kanye-west/120709-entertainment-weekly-names-kanye-wests-college-dropout-album-of-the-decade-view-list-here.html

The source of the article..

I know, right? Maybe dropout would be like number 10 in a list made by me.. We should all make a top 10 albums of the decade list and see where we agree and where we dont..

Yeah, I don't think any of those albums deserve 2 be there. I'm 100% over Kanye West. After he's done and said so many stupid things, I can't take him seriously. He's never had the lyrics, flow, or delivery to even be considered a good emcee. And he hasn't had the beats to compinsate for his weak vocal performances since he 1st came out. Beyonce's "I Am...Sasha Fierce" is were worst abum, riddled with crappy production and over the top, forced lyrics and vocal performances. I love Beyonce but I hate this over-produced album. I never picked up "Stankonia"...i just know "Ms. Jackson" was dope and that OutKast's best work was in the very beginning of their career. Justin Timberlake's "Future Sex/Love Sounds" was an okay album. Commercially speaking, it probably deserves to be there. Artistically...Not so much. He's 1st album was better. Jay-Z's "Blueprint" might belong there commercially as well. After Reasonable Doubt, it's probably his best album.

I like Kanye and CD is definately his best album, but album of the decade???Come on, If judge just the rap albums on that list Stankonia>College Dropout>Blueprint. I am Sasha Fierce was whack, Beyonce is better than that! I miss Alicia Keys, Norah Jones and even Common's Be on that list.

"Lost and Found" deserves a spot in the top 10 of the decade but of course they won't put it there 'cause we know how they overlook Will when it comes to that stuff, they probably have one of his movies in the top 10 movies, lol, but I think that "Lost and Found" deserves better accolades than any of his recent films... A lot of people all the time always talk about the Jay-Z and Nas battle that they forget that DMX dropped a classic album right in between that time in late '01, "The Great Depression" is the truth, I actually remember playing that album more than Nas' "Stillmatic" and Jay-Z' "The Blueprint" when they all dropped, with all his personal problems people forget how great of an mc DMX really is, I'm hoping he gets everything together to drop another classic for the '10s decade... Before I go any further I still haven't heard an a rap album in this decade that's any better than LL Cool J's "The G.O.A.T." album, I must of played it a million times over the past 10 years and still never get tired of it, that's what I call a true classic, I grew up on it, really the lyrics, flow, and beats on that album are the greatest.... Now I think that "Late Registration" is the only good Kanye West album, the rest are overrated and mediocre commercial crap, I think that "College Dropout"'s nowhere near as great as people claim it to be, the other mcs on the album saved it from falling apart, btw I'll take Hi-Tek, Pete Rock, Diamond D, and the late J-Dilla as better producers/mcs btw if I say so myself, people that know their hip hop already know that.... Sure Kanye's a positive rap artist, I give him credit for that but really he isn't any more talented than 50 Cent and Nelly, he does the same kind of simplistic nursing rhyme schemes on the most part... Beyonce's 1st album is her best one, her stuff with Destiny's Child is way better than any of her solo stuff, Kelly Rowland's actually the best solo artist in the group in my opinion as well, I enjoy her albums better, the Destiny Child "Survivor" album is a masterpiece that deserves some recognition in the top 10.... I think the best Outkast album of the decade is their last one "Idlewild", that was an artistic masterpiece that was taken to another level.... Now where's some love for Mariah's "Emincipation Of Mimi"? That was her big comeback album in the mid 2000s.... I was listening to Joe's "My Name Is Joe" album recently and I gotta say that's one of the top albums of this decade as well.... One thing I gotta add is that when it comes to balancing all kinds of music on albums nobody could touch Wyclef Jean, "Masquerade" was incredible since he was put all of his heart into it after his father died in 2002, it's nothing short of musical genious, that dude is the Quincy Jones of our era for real...

Edited by bigted

Before I go any further I still haven't heard an a rap album in this decade that's any better than LL Cool J's "The G.O.A.T." album, I must of played it a million times over the past 10 years and still never get tired of it, that's what I call a true classic, I grew up on it, really the lyrics, flow, and beats on that album are the greatest.....

Word. I feel the same about that album. I realy grew up with that Album. I heard it for the first time when I didnt understand a word and now I know the whole record by heart and I'm not still not even close to being tired of it.

I alos think The Emancipation of Mimi and American Idiot should be in there, also but its a weird list anyway.

Edited by Turntable

Wow Bigted I really felt u there, there were soo many albums overlooked in that list.. Actually is imposible to compare them types of musics and so many albums and pick only 10, but if u are gonna do it anyways, at least get better choices than college dropout..

I think Kanye should be in there, but with his second album caus that was the ultimate Kanye album.

Are u for real ?! :lookaround: :)) just :We Don't Care,All Falls Down,Jesus Walks,Slow Jamz,Two Words,Through the Wire vs Touch The Sky,Gold Digger,Diamonds From Sierra Leone,Heard 'Em Say ? in the words of Ed Lover - c'mon son ! the first album is another class !

"Btw, I think it is impossible to make a top 10 of the "best" albums"

yeah ,its very hard to choose

"Willenium" came out in late '99 so that could actually be considered a 2000s album, DMX's "And Then There X" came out in late '99 too, that makes me feel old 'cause I was a freshman in high school that year bumping those 2 albums, those CDs got mad scratches on them, lol, I liked Nas' "Nastradamus" album then too but as time went on I didn't really like that album much compared to his other albums...

Anyway I was just digging through my album collection recently and I found 10 albums that came out this decade that weren't mentioned that could trump most of those 10 mentioned by Entertainment Weekly, really they had a lot of choices to choose from and they dropped the ball:

R.Kelly "TP2.com"

KRS One "Kristyles"

Public Enemy "Revolvolution"

Janet Jackson "All For You"

Boyz II Men "Full Circle"

Nas "God's Son"

Christina Aguilera "Stripped"

Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-Tek "Reflection Eternal"

Shaggy "Hot Shot"

Mary J. Blige "No More Drama"