JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Quick review on before I self destruct

VIsqo

http://rap.about.com/od/reviews/gr/50CentBeforeISelfDestruct.htm

The Bottom Line

50 tries to reconnect with his inner goon on his fourth outing, Before I Self Destruct.

Pros

* 50 sounds hungrier than a pack of wild wolves

* Stellar production

Cons

* Betrays a lack of originality

* Contrived, predictable

Description

* Production courtesy of Dr. Dre, Polow da Don, Rick Rock

* Guests include Eminem, R.Kelly, and Ne-Yo

* Before I Self Destruct was recorded before Curtis

Guide Review - 50 Cent - 'Before I Self Destruct' (Shady/Aftermath)

Six years after he hit da club armed with champagne bottles and assorted models on Get Rich or Die Tryin', 50 Cent came under fire for the litany of pop crossover hits that followed. Before I Self Destruct finds him revisiting the hardcore formula that gave yield to his monumental debut. The bad news is that he's singing from a familiar hymn book.

Despite Fif's gritty delivery and hard-knocking beats, his boasts sound terribly clichéd. Spreading those artistic wings can be tough when your sound is built around your ability to amass a fictitious body count in the hundreds. Still, Fif is surprisingly captivating when he wants to be. Some of the songs here overflow with catchy hooks and stellar production that make it easy to overlook the mishaps. The best cuts include the fearless "Strong Enough" and the playful "So Disrespectful."

Though 50 promised a return to classic form, he lacks the drive and initiative to make good on that promise. Before I Self Destruct in three words: guns, cash, booty. Heard that song before.

Top Tracks

* "Strong Enough"

* "Crime Wave"

* "So Disrespectful"

I'm not really anticipating this album much since there's so many albums coming out at this point that I want to get but really I hope that 50's more hungrier this time, "Curtis" is one of the worst albums that I ever heard, it made "The Massacre" look like a classic, lol

not realy but he's getting better again. i'd take his ish over lil waynes anyday

I don't think comparing him to Wayne is a way to prove he has improved his own ability. I think it is just a testament to how poor rap really is in the mainstream.

not realy but he's getting better again. i'd take his ish over lil waynes anyday

I don't think comparing him to Wayne is a way to prove he has improved his own ability. I think it is just a testament to how poor rap really is in the mainstream.

True, but 50 is not was wack as it seems, he can spit some nice rhymes (not brilliant, but nice) if he wants, Power Of The Dollar is a nice record

My man Bob, its been a long time.. Im waiting for one of ur famous reviews

yeah busy days. well i was gonna review jay-z, but to be honest, jay and i aren't on speaking terms after that "empire state of mind" made jay=yankees.

any good releases comin'? i've been soo off the scene.