JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Grizzles Release Allen Iverson

bigted

Grizzlies, Iverson part ways after only 3 games

2 hours, 7 minutes ago

Buzz up!

Print

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—The Allen Iverson(notes) experiment with the Memphis Grizzlies is over.

Memphis announced Monday that the team has ended its one-year contract with the 10-time All-Star and former league MVP in what it called a mutual agreement. Iverson began an indefinite leave of absence on Nov. 7 to deal with a personal issue after playing only three games with the Grizzlies, all in California.

“Because of personal matters that forced him to leave the team on November 7, Allen will step away from the game at this time, allowing him to focus on those matters,” general manager Chris Wallace said in a statement. “As a result, we will be ending our contractual agreement with Allen, which will allow both parties to move forward. We wish Allen the best.”

Related Coverage

* Play Fantasy Basketball '09

FILE - In this Nov. 6, 2009, file photo, Memphis Grizzlies' Allen Iverson(notes) brings the ball upcourt against the Los Angeles Lakers during an NBA basketball game in Los Angeles. The Grizzlies announced Monday, Nov. 16, in a statement that the team has ended its one-year contract with the 10-time All-Star and former league MVP in what it called a mutual agreement.

FILE - In this Nov. 6, 2009, f…

AP - Nov 16, 5:46 pm EST

* NBA Gallery

The Grizzlies will waive Iverson but the team had not done that as of Monday night.

Iverson’s agent, Leon Rose, did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press on his cell phone. Iverson, who announced he was headed to Memphis on his Twitter account, hasn’t posted any updates there since Nov. 2 when he played his first game with the Grizzlies.

Memphis owner Michael Heisley told the AP last week he would be happy to trade Iverson to another team if a better deal came along.

Few NBA teams had shown interest in the 34-year-old guard before Memphis signed him to a one-year, incentive-laden contract on Sept. 10. Memphis fans greeted the biggest star ever to play for the Grizzlies with a big crowd for his introductory news conference and eagerly bought up his No. 3 jersey, though he wound up never playing a game on the team’s home court.

Iverson didn’t help himself much during his short stint with his fourth NBA team. He missed the preseason with a partially torn left hamstring and didn’t debut with the Grizzlies until Nov. 2 at Sacramento.

Immediately, Iverson began talking about his distaste for coming off the bench and being on a rebuilding team filled with youth from Rudy Gay(notes) and O.J. Mayo(notes) to recent draft picks Hasheem Thabeet(notes) and DeMarre Carroll(notes).

The four-time NBA scoring champ became the 16th player in league history to score 24,000 points in his career in his second game against Golden State. He played against the Lakers in Los Angeles, where he also met with Heisley before being given permission to take an indefinite leave.

But the Grizzlies got tired of waiting for Iverson to decide what to do next.

They signed point guard Jamaal Tinsley(notes) on Saturday for some much-needed help with the Grizzlies struggling at 2-8 this season.

Thats too bad...AI's story has sorta been a sad one since he's never been on a decent team, but he needs to step up be a leader again, not a cry baby...looks like his career is winding down unless he gets signed to an actual contender..

Edited by bart5

I remember at the end of last season Iverson was activated off the injured list and the Pistons were expecting to place him on their postseason roster for the series against the Cavs but they told him he'd come off the bench in the series so what he did was he went home instead of playing, that really surprised me that he did that 'cause when it comes to playoffs over the years you'd have to rip his arm off before he wouldn't play, all those great years with the 76ers, he couldn't get 'em over the hump though but he always gave his best, a true warrior... I believe him bailing out on the Pistons when they needed him is the reason why a lot of the contenders didn't want to sign him in the offseason, now he's out the league and he probably won't get signed anywhere else since he quit on the Grizzlies as well, sure they're a bad team but if he gave his best coming off the bench a good team might want to trade for him before the playoffs start but that plan's over now, it's a sad way to end his career, ultimately I think his ego's gonna hurt his chances at the hall of fame.... I don't personally agree with his statement in an interview that no great basketball players have ever come off the bench either, even the GOAT Michael Jordan came off the bench for a few games when he played with the Wizards, Patrick Ewing came off the bench with the Magic, Magic Johnson came off the bench for the Lakers when he came out of retirement, I could go on and on, he needs to except the fact that he's not as great as he once was but he can still help a team if he chooses to....

Edited by bigted

The problem is he is 34 and he absolutely wants to be in the starting five. He is 6 ft 0 in and he absolutely wants to be shooting guard.

I think it was quite good for him at Grizzlies. Could have been 6th player, Conley or Mayo back up. Not bad at his age. Could have bring his experience to this young team.

But his ego is too big. He ruined his last few years.

An experienced contender should really take a risk on him, like the Celtics. A team that wont be affected by his possible disruptions. If AI manages to reign his ego in and accepts he may have to come off the bench more often than not, he could really spearhead a title contender like Boston, into untouchable status. I dont think his career is over personally, and anyone who does sign him, if they reign his ego in, will have a real bargain in their possession. His ability is still there, he just needs to stop his ego controlling it.

I heard that the Knicks are interested in signing him, that'd be interesting since they went through the Marbury saga the past few years, now the way I see it the best fit would be the Bobcats since Larry Brown could keep Iverson's ego in check