JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Roland Emmerich talks about 'Independence Day' 2

Ale

Exclusive: Roland Emmerich Wants To Make Independence Day 2 Because Of Obama

Last time we heard from Roland Emmerich about plans for a second Independence Day movie, he said that Fox was balking at putting up the money for Will Smith to be part of the film. At today's press day for 2012, I asked Emmerich both about the status of the funding and his reason for wanting to make the movie to begin with.

Emmerich had said not 10 minutes earlier, in a roundtable interview, that sequels were silly, but he says that Independence Day is different: "I think everybody has a defining moment or a defining film who works in this business. It's the one I think I will be remembered for. I kind of think it would be great to do."

As for why it's taken so long to get the sequel started, you can blame George W. Bush. "In Independence Day, it was about a king who leads his country into a fight against an outside invader. I didn't want to make that movie during the Bush years. It was not thought that George W. Bush would have made a great king. Now with Obama, it's another story."

He also confirmed that, as in the first film, the plot of Independence Day 2 would focus on the President and his efforts to lead the country. We know that Emmerich cast Danny Glover as the President in 2012 as a nod to Obama, but who knew the real President was the inspiration to bring Bill Pullman back as well?

In video to come, Emmerich talks more about the funding troubles for the film and why Fox would hesitate to bring back Will Smith, even though Emmerich says plainly "I will not make the movie with Will Smith." He also talks about his plans to use new technology on the second film. Sounds like things are still at loggerheads in actually getting the movie going, but despite Emmerich's promise that 2012 will be his last disaster movie, we can probably count on Independence Day 2 coming along at some point.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Exclusive-Roland-Emmerich-Wants-To-Make-Independence-Day-2-Because-Of-Obama-15563.html

Exclusive: Roland Emmerich Wants To Make Independence Day 2 Because Of Obama

Last time we heard from Roland Emmerich about plans for a second Independence Day movie, he said that Fox was balking at putting up the money for Will Smith to be part of the film. At today's press day for 2012, I asked Emmerich both about the status of the funding and his reason for wanting to make the movie to begin with.

Emmerich had said not 10 minutes earlier, in a roundtable interview, that sequels were silly, but he says that Independence Day is different: "I think everybody has a defining moment or a defining film who works in this business. It's the one I think I will be remembered for. I kind of think it would be great to do."

As for why it's taken so long to get the sequel started, you can blame George W. Bush. "In Independence Day, it was about a king who leads his country into a fight against an outside invader. I didn't want to make that movie during the Bush years. It was not thought that George W. Bush would have made a great king. Now with Obama, it's another story."

He also confirmed that, as in the first film, the plot of Independence Day 2 would focus on the President and his efforts to lead the country. We know that Emmerich cast Danny Glover as the President in 2012 as a nod to Obama, but who knew the real President was the inspiration to bring Bill Pullman back as well?

In video to come, Emmerich talks more about the funding troubles for the film and why Fox would hesitate to bring back Will Smith, even though Emmerich says plainly "I will not make the movie with Will Smith." He also talks about his plans to use new technology on the second film. Sounds like things are still at loggerheads in actually getting the movie going, but despite Emmerich's promise that 2012 will be his last disaster movie, we can probably count on Independence Day 2 coming along at some point.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Exclusive-Roland-Emmerich-Wants-To-Make-Independence-Day-2-Because-Of-Obama-15563.html

What?!? That was a bunch of nonsense! Nobody would of felt bad about an Independence Day sequel because of Bush, they would of felt bad about a totally unnecessary sequel.

EXCLUSIVE: 'Independence Day' Sequel To Be Two Movies, Possibly Called 'ID4-Ever'

More than thirteen years, Bill Pullman gave a goose-bump-inducing Fourth of July speech about freedom, willpower and how a few ugly aliens needed a good beatdown and honestly I'm still pumped up.

On the strength of that patriotic presidential speech alone, "Independence Day" deserves a sequel, and talk about one has cropped up here and there since the film's blockbuster release in '96. Could it actually happen? And what would it look like all these years later? Director Roland Emmerich gave MTV News a couple clues.

"What we want to do in the next it's actually two movies we want to do a bigger arc," he explained. "'Independence Day' was always like the king who leads his troops into battle against an evil force, and that stays like that."

So the plan is not just one sequel but two. And Emmerich has got a nifty title in mind: "'ID4-ever,' Part I and II maybe?" he suggested.

Mind you, there's not yet a script "There's an idea," he said but he did say that when they move forward Will Smith will most certainly be involved. "The idea is just to continue the story and actually I don't know how many years ago this wastwelve, thirteen, fourteen years agoand just continue where it ended."

Where it ended was with Pullman and Smith's victory over the invading aliens. Presumably, over a decade later, the White House would have been rebuilt and civilization returned to some semblance of normalcy. What's Smith's military man been up to? Do the same alien baddies return, or do we get new ones? And, unless term limits have been abolished in this world, Pullman's US prez will no longer be in office how might he fit into the story, if at all?

Emmerich didn't want to spill any plot details, but he promised that "one day we will do it and that the story will stay firmly on the planet. "It's always about earth and that earth gets invaded," he said.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/11/12/exclusive-independence-day-sequel-to-be-two-movies-possibly-called-id4-ever/

-----

This is just ridiculous.

Edited by Ale

‘2012’ Director Roland Emmerich on Making Will Smith a Star

Do you ever take credit for launching one of the biggest film careers of all time with Will Smith?

No, not really. I first got the idea to cast him when I saw him in a very small movie called Six Degrees of Separation, and when I saw him in that I immediately called [producer] Dean Devlin, saw it again, and he agreed with me that this kid is kind of gold. Because even as an African-American, he feels like the most American person I have ever met. We were looking for the ultimate American hero for our fighter pilot, and then on top of it because he was African-American, we also had this idea that it was a multicultural thing. It’s kind of like the nations come together that case—America, Jewish, African-American, WASPy, comes together. And then I had to fight for Will Smith for a long time, because they wanted someone else.

Who did they want?

I can’t tell you because these people have careers too, but you would laugh. Not as big as Will, though.

Source: http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/2012-director-roland-emmerich-on-making-will-smith-a-star/12868