JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eminem Responds to Mariah Carey 'Obsessed'

Da Brakes

That doesn't make it any better either. And I wouldn't call that just a joke, it's much more serious than that for me, a total lack of respect, especially because MJ was never declared guilty of those charges.

Do you think Em did this because he likes and respects MJ? Excuse me, but that doesn't make any sense.

I didnt say he did it because he likes and respects MJ, I said comedians making fun of MJ doesnt mean they dont respect him. We cant be too sensitive in this world, people make fun of people everyday. I'm sure you would laugh if anyone took the piss out of Eminems problems, I have. I laughed when Aries Spears and others called WS "n bomb light", it doesnt mean I like FP any less than I did before laughing at the joke. Because thats what they are, jokes.

With the MJ line in Just Lose It, it was a joke, like Brakes said way back at the begining of this thread, it's entertainment. It's not like Em came out and said "I think MJ is a paedophile", he just made a comedic remark in a comedic rap song.

My point is, when they say "Em's the greatest", who are they comparing him with if he's the only rapper they listen to? That's all.

I just can't understand what people see in this clown, but oh well. To each his own.

I understand your point, but, there is no definitive proof either way that they wouldnt still rank him best ever if they did know other rappers. Thats my point. Someones lack of knowledge doesnt mean they are overrating the person they do like. It just means they cant give a true assessment. Its the same with anything. And I'm not claiming they would still rank him the best either, because you cant tell.

I'll tell what I see in him, and as I've always said, its when he's at his peak. For me, his flow is bananas, even when the arabic/annoying voice is used, once again, at his peak, i found his lyrics and complexity to his rhyme scheme second to none. His versatility is his content is pretty special, and he's made complex and intelligent rhymes go to the top of the charts, within an era when the beat is seen as the main component to a great song. For me, his only criticism is that he doesnt always deliver the very high standard his early career set for himself. I've never denied he's fell off, I've never denied his comedic tracks sometimes let him down, but for me, at his peak, he was one of a kind.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't make it any better either. And I wouldn't call that just a joke, it's much more serious than that for me, a total lack of respect, especially because MJ was never declared guilty of those charges.

Do you think Em did this because he likes and respects MJ? Excuse me, but that doesn't make any sense.

I didnt say he did it because he likes and respects MJ, I said comedians making fun of MJ doesnt mean they dont respect him. We cant be too sensitive in this world, people make fun of people everyday. I'm sure you would laugh if anyone took the piss out of Eminems problems, I have. I laughed when Aries Spears and others called WS "n bomb light", it doesnt mean I like FP any less than I did before laughing at the joke. Because thats what they are, jokes.

With the MJ line in Just Lose It, it was a joke, like Brakes said way back at the begining of this thread, it's entertainment. It's not like Em came out and said "I think MJ is a paedophile", he just made a comedic remark in a comedic rap song.

I just can't agree with you. I think there are certain limits that shouldn't be surpassed.

"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell records, well I do so **** him and **** you too", that's a joke. The moment when MJ loses his nose in the video, that's a joke. But when he is sitting on a bed with boys dancing around him... man, that can't be considered a joke. It's not only a comedy remark in one of his comedic rap songs. That's a personal attack. That's a big insult.

I find it offensive, and MJ found it offensive, obviously:

Jackson said he finds the video "offensive" and "demeaning," according to spokesperson Raymone Bain. "The entire video is inappropriate; it's not just one thing," Bain said. "He is very disappointed, he is very angry. It's one thing for there to be a spoof, it's another to be insensitive and disrespectful. It crossed the line."

Source:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492209/20041012/eminem.jhtml

Was he supposed to laugh with it?

I think you can't see how important and serious this is. Of course comedians can do/say what they want, but they will have to pay the consequences. Not everything should be allowed. This just can't be justified.

Definitely, this is not what I call "entertainment".

Edited by Ale

I just can't agree with you. I think there are certain limits that shouldn't be surpassed.

"Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell records, well I do so **** him and **** you too", that's a joke. The moment when MJ loses his nose in the video, that's a joke. But when he is sitting on a bed with boys dancing around him... man, that can't be considered a joke. It's not only a comedy remark in one of his comedic rap songs. That's a personal attack. That's a big insult.

I find it offensive, and MJ found it offensive, obviously:

Jackson said he finds the video "offensive" and "demeaning," according to spokesperson Raymone Bain. "The entire video is inappropriate; it's not just one thing," Bain said. "He is very disappointed, he is very angry. It's one thing for there to be a spoof, it's another to be insensitive and disrespectful. It crossed the line."

Source:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492209/20041012/eminem.jhtml

Was he supposed to laugh with it?

I think you can't see how important and serious this is. Of course comedians can do/say what they want, but they will have to pay the consequences. Not everything should be allowed. This just can't be justified.

Definitely, this is not what I call "entertainment".

Dude as much as I love MJ and as much as I'm adament he didnt molest any of those kids, I found it funny. Even you have to admit that the stuff MJ has done over the years has made him an easy target for jokes like that. Just openly saying you've let someone elses little boy sleep in the same bed as you will raise suspicions because it's not the right thing to do. So you cant be surprised when someone makes fun of it.

But, of the things that have been done and said about MJ, a little skit in an Eminem video is the least offensive. For me anyway.

Chris Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1Pm37yX08

That could be percieved as more offensive, but, I still laughed, and so did most of the crowd when he said it, a crowd that was probably full/contained a host of MJ fans.

We wont agree, it's not my intention to change your opinion. But sometimes people take something that is said as a joke to heart, when all it really is, is a joke.

Edited by Big Willie

Quick question: would you like that someone made fun of you insinuating you're a pedophile when it isn't true or when it has never been proven true?

I still think that the fact that many comedians have made fun of it in the past doesn't make it any less offensive.

Quick question: would you like that someone made fun of you insinuating you're a pedophile when it isn't true or when it has never been proven true?

I still think that the fact that many comedians have made fun of it in the past doesn't make it any less offensive.

I'm not saying I'd be happy about it, but it wouldnt bother me, because I know its not true, but then again, I've also never put myself in a situation where it could be insinuated.

Whether he did anything or not, MJ made it very easy for people to make the accusations.