JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eminem Responds to Mariah Carey 'Obsessed'

Da Brakes

It took Mariah Carey to make Eminem do a track with a good delivery. In Em's favor, this is the flow i wanna hear (closer to his original style once he found his nitch). Lyrically it's funny. However, let's look at this realistically. Eminem is dissing Mariah Carey. Once again, he's not taking on a fellow emcee, he's taking on someone in a form that they victim cannot fight back. I mean, how many R-N-B diss tracks are there?!? Eminem's weakness has always been how heavily relied on POP CULTURE to make HIP-HOP and RAP records. He started the mess by making a crap song. It's easily the worst song on the album. What is the point of it? He devotes a whole song on his 2009 album to a relationship that happened (or didn't happen) YEEEEARS ago. I mean, what respectable man insults a marraige (like he has room 2 judge any healthy relationship?!) Then when Mariah repsponded, he wants 2 go in2 cry baby mode again. Let me say that i think Mariah's song is okay and i like how she had the confidense 2 make fun of him back (because he asked for it) but "Obsessed" is Mariah's weakest opening single...or at least tied with "Loverboy." I viewed it as a playful way 2 respond 2 a stupid song that no ones knows just how playful he wanted it 2 be...how serious was he when he wrote it. Props 2 Em for flowing like he has some sense. Props for getting funny in the lyrics department. Props for choosing a dope beat. NO PROPS for poking fun at a marriage, taking on Mariah as if it were necessary.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It took Mariah Carey to make Eminem do a track with a good delivery. In Em's favor, this is the flow i wanna hear (closer to his original style once he found his nitch). Lyrically it's funny. However, let's look at this realistically. Eminem is dissing Mariah Carey. Once again, he's not taking on a fellow emcee, he's taking on someone in a form that they victim cannot fight back. I mean, how many R-N-B diss tracks are there?!? Eminem's weakness has always been how heavily relied on POP CULTURE to make HIP-HOP and RAP records. He started the mess by making a crap song. It's easily the worst song on the album. What is the point of it? He devotes a whole song on his 2009 album to a relationship that happened (or didn't happen) YEEEEARS ago. I mean, what respectable man insults a marraige (like he has room 2 judge any healthy relationship?!) Then when Mariah repsponded, he wants 2 go in2 cry baby mode again. Let me say that i think Mariah's song is okay and i like how she had the confidense 2 make fun of him back (because he asked for it) but "Obsessed" is Mariah's weakest opening single...or at least tied with "Loverboy." I viewed it as a playful way 2 respond 2 a stupid song that no ones knows just how playful he wanted it 2 be...how serious was he when he wrote it. Props 2 Em for flowing like he has some sense. Props for getting funny in the lyrics department. Props for choosing a dope beat. NO PROPS for poking fun at a marriage, taking on Mariah as if it were necessary.

100% co-sign!

In my opinion, no.

You ask a teenager with no Hip Hop knowledge who is Rakim and he doesn't know. You ask that teenager who is Eminem and he knows it, or maybe the only Rap album he owns is the '8 Mile' soundtrack. That teenager will say that Eminem is the best rapper ever, without even being able to name more than 5 rappers.

Now change that teenager for millions, and you'll see the impact Em has made.

Eminem is a showman. Why would I take him seriously?

Ok, fair enough. But, apply the same situation to football. Ask a young teenage kid who George Best (Zidane for some of them probably as well) is an he probably wouldnt know, ask him who C.Ronaldo is and he'd know, and would probably think he is the best player. Does that make CR7 overrated?

I think with Eminem its more, some peoples lack of knowledge means they are ignorant to other artists, as opposed to overrating Em. Because for all we know, even if they had the full knowledge, they could still rank Em as the best ever. Just as a friend of mine (a rapper called Preest) who has a bigger knowledge of hip hop than me, but still ranks Em in his top 5 lyricists of all time. So I personally think its more about ignorance than overrating.

In my opinion, no.

You ask a teenager with no Hip Hop knowledge who is Rakim and he doesn't know. You ask that teenager who is Eminem and he knows it, or maybe the only Rap album he owns is the '8 Mile' soundtrack. That teenager will say that Eminem is the best rapper ever, without even being able to name more than 5 rappers.

Ok, fair enough. But, apply the same situation to football. Ask a young teenage kid who George Best (Zidane for some of them probably as well) is an he probably wouldnt know, ask him who C.Ronaldo is and he'd know, and would probably think he is the best player. Does that make CR7 overrated?

I think with Eminem its more, some peoples lack of knowledge means they are ignorant to other artists, as opposed to overrating Em. Because for all we know, even if they had the full knowledge, they could still rank Em as the best ever. Just as a friend of mine (a rapper called Preest) who has a bigger knowledge of hip hop than me, but still ranks Em in his top 5 lyricists of all time. So I personally think its more about ignorance than overrating.

Eminem is definately a talented MC, but Top 5 and especially for lyricism is absolutely bull****. He has a crazy flow and is talented battle rapper (top 10)

Are you or your friend seriously telling me that he is better lyricist than Rakim, Andre 3000, Slick Rick, Common and Nas?

In my opinion, no.

I think C. Ronaldo is overrated, and he's playing on my team now. That doesn't mean he isn't a good player, of course, but he isn't definitely the best.

You can be good and overrated. That's what happens with Eminem IMO. I've always said he's a great lyricist, but that doesn't mean the content of his songs isn't wack, or that many of them are just ridiculous. His stupid voice doesn't help either.

A good rapper is more than a good lyricist.

And he isn't CR7 anymore! Now he's CR9 :laugh:

I think C. Ronaldo is overrated, and he's playing on my team now. That doesn't mean he isn't a good player, of course, but he isn't definitely the best.

You can be good and overrated. That's what happens with Eminem IMO. I've always said he's a great lyricist, but that doesn't mean the content of his songs isn't wack, or that many of them are just ridiculous. His stupid voice doesn't help either.

A good rapper is more than a good lyricist.

And he isn't CR7 anymore! Now he's CR9 :laugh:

CR9 right... dropped a clanger there though, people wont bother with new shirts and just wear their old Fatnaldo ones :laugh:

Ok, you missed my point. The point was peoples lack of knowledge doesnt mean the person they like is overrated.

Golf: People may not know Nicklaus, and say Tiger is the best ever. Is Tiger overrated?

Bball: People may not know MJ (most do), and say Kobe is the best ever. Is Kobe overrated?

Peoples lack of knowledge just means they cant give a true assessment. It doesnt make they're favourite overrated. Coz afterall, favourite is all is it, because something is only good or bad by opinion. Especially in music.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, and I dare say this debate will crop up again soon LOL

Edited by Big Willie

I listened to this track about 2 days ago and I must admit that it's a good track. This is about as close as Eminem has come to matching his earlier work(Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP) which in my opinion is his best work. A few things about this:

1. I've heard people say that this is a fail for Em because he seems bent on going after Mariah. With this track he's put himself in the cat bird's seat by basically daring Nick and/or Mariah to respond. If they don't respond he wins & if they do then he wins. He's basically put Mariah & Nick in a no-win situation so they need to fall back on this one.

2. AJ was right when he said Em has not gone after a credible MC. Let's look at his history and see who he's attacked. Britney, Christina, Mariah, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Insane Clown Posse, Everlast, FP come to mind right off the bat. This is a problem when all he attacks are pop stars, R&B singers and rappers who don't engage in "beef". He attacks people who know that a) they won't respond and b) if they do respond he'll just continue to roast them. 50 Cent has made a career off of this & that's why I can't put Em in my top 20 MC list. This is not to say that he doesn't have skills because clearly he does.

When Royce Da 5'9 buried D12, where was Em? Nowhere to be found. Some people don't know this but when Em was doing those battle competitions back in the late 90's & earlier this decade, he got his head handed to him by Rhymefest(Chicago stand up!!!). Em even admitted that Fest was a better MC & battle rapper. Yeah Em went at Canibus but this was after LL all but finished his career.

3. Em's catalogue is sketchy at best. Infinite was that heat. He followed up with two very strong albums in the Slim Shady LP & Marshall Mathers LP. After that it's been downhill for him. He's had tracks here & there that were OK but nothing to match his first 2 albums. You can't be considered one of the greats when your catalogue is as sketchy as Em's is.

Edited by TopDawg14

Em's catalogue is sketchy at best. Infinite was that heat. He followed up with two very strong albums in the Slim Shady LP & Marshall Mathers LP. After that it's been downhill for him. He's had tracks here & there that were OK but nothing to match his first 2 albums. You can't be considered one of the greats when your catalogue is as sketchy as Em's is.

Agreed!

I think I've said this before on this forum; Em peaked too early on in his career, which means anything after the first 3 albums is looked on as a dissapointment. If his career/releases had happened in reverse I believe peoples perception of him, who have the knowledge, would be different. At his peak, for me, he is one of the best lyrically, its just a shame his peak happened on his first 3 albums, instead of growing over his career. But from a personal stand point, with Relapse and this track, I see the old Shady returning. To each their own... but, his flow is mindboggling for me at times.

Eminem been showing lately that he still got some skills which is something a lot of rappers in the game been lacking so I give him some props for trying to take it to another level but it's kinda sad to see him waste it doing tracks about pop stars, like AJ & TopDawg mentioned that's what takes some of his credability away

BW, I got a question. You asked me if I'd criticize a comedian for making fun of someone. Does that mean I have to laugh with him? Does that mean I have to like everything that comedian says? For example, did you find funny the way Em dissed MJ in 'Just Lose It'?

Come here little kiddies, On my lap

Guess who's back with a brand new rap?

And I don't mean rap as in a new case of child molestation accusation

(HA-HA-HA-HA-HA)

No worries, papa's got a brand new bag of toys

What else could I possibly do to make noise?

I done touched on everything, but little boys

That's not a stab at Michael

That's just a metaphor, I'm just psycho

I go a little bit crazy sometimes

I get a little bit out of control with my rhymes

Personally, I found it pretty offensive and disrespectful.

BTW, a personal opinion: when teenagers with no Hip Hop knowledge say things like "Eminem is the greatest rapper ever", I don't think they're saying that because they appreciate his skills as a rapper. It's just that he has catchy songs that people seem to love. They find his lyrics very cool because he swears a lot and attacks who he wants. They just love that style, Eminem's style, but from my point of view he's just looking for attention.

Sorry, I had to share this. My next post will be "'Relapse' is not on the same level as 'The Slim Shady LP' & 'The Marshall Mathers LP'" :laugh:

Edited by Ale

I didnt say you had to like every thing a comedian says or does, I just said would you criticise a comedian for making fun of someone, coz thats all Eminem is doing.

And yes, i might get some hate for this, but I did find it funny in Just Lose It, I've also laughed at numerous MJ jokes over the years, but thats all they are, jokes. There wont be many people that hasn't laughed or told an MJ joke (at least not anyone I know), but it doesnt affect mine or their fanship or respect for him. I've made fun of my friends and family over the years too, like anyone else has, that doesnt mean I love them any less.

Yes I agree, a lot of teenagers are narrowminded and like Eminem for those reasons. I did myself when I was younger, then I learnt the history, but I still think he is one of the more creative emcees of our time. Like I said, some having a lack of knowledge doesnt mean their opinion is wrong or make who they think is the best ever overrated, because you cant assume that their opinion would change if they had the knowledge, mine didnt.

And yes, i might get some hate for this, but I did find it funny in Just Lose It, I've also laughed at numerous MJ jokes over the years, but thats all they are, jokes. There wont be many people that hasn't laughed or told an MJ joke (at least not anyone I know), but it doesnt affect mine or their fanship or respect for him. I've made fun of my friends and family over the years too, like anyone else has, that doesnt mean I love them any less.

That doesn't make it any better either. And I wouldn't call that just a joke, it's much more serious than that for me, a total lack of respect, especially because MJ was never declared guilty of those charges.

Do you think Em did this because he likes and respects MJ? Excuse me, but that doesn't make any sense.

Yes I agree, a lot of teenagers are narrowminded and like Eminem for those reasons. I did myself when I was younger, then I learnt the history, but I still think he is one of the more creative emcees of our time. Like I said, some having a lack of knowledge doesnt mean their opinion is wrong or make who they think is the best ever overrated, because you cant assume that their opinion would change if they had the knowledge, mine didnt.

My point is, when they say "Em's the greatest", who are they comparing him with if he's the only rapper they listen to? That's all.

I just can't understand what people see in this clown, but oh well. To each his own.

Edited by Ale