JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'Summertime' written by Rakim...

I think that this rumor was brought up here in the JJFP forum a couple years ago, people always trying to discredit Will's talent as an mc

Yeah, i don't wanna claim to be a know-it-all or anything but "Summertime" is straight Fresh Prince. His lyrics, style, and writing parttern of each era are so strong that u can tell when it's all him...and Homebase is all him. I was listening 2 it on the way home from work 2day and just being sucked back in 1991. Classic FP.

Yeah, i don't wanna claim to be a know-it-all or anything but "Summertime" is straight Fresh Prince. His lyrics, style, and writing parttern of each era are so strong that u can tell when it's all him...and Homebase is all him. I was listening 2 it on the way home from work 2day and just being sucked back in 1991. Classic FP.

As I posted before Rakim himself denies that he wrote Summertime! The whole gost-writing crap started with Big Willie Style, when Will had his breakthrough. In an old interview Nas said he was just helping out with the hook, he didn't write the whole album or song. And if really someone did ghostwrite that its been kinda late, cause its a classic since almost 20 years and rumors would have popped earlier!

Interview with Rakim and Flavor Flav

• Members

You guys are super defensive about this. I realize this is a Will Smith fan site and it would make sense you guys defend him. I'm by no means saying the rumor is true but I'm not talking about Rakim writing Summertime. I

I'm talking about a legendary battle rapper who has gone on record in saying he helped write the track. Rakim never went on record anywhere. This I'm talking about is a claim that was actually made.

BallerStatus.com: Have you done ghost-writing for any artists?

Juice: When I first moved back to Chicago from L.A., I began working with Clubhouse Entertainment. I was part of a writing team that produced "Summertime" by Will Smith, "The Kissing Game" by High Five, "Pass the Toilet Paper" by OutHere Brothers. I would freestyle in the booth and if there were any hot lines to be used, they would use 'em. I didn't really understand publishing at the time and didn't really care because those cats kind of took me in. We got sued by Kool and the Gang for the sample and nobody made money. It let me know that I had what it took to be a writer though. I am still working with the producer of "Summertime" (K Fingers aka AZZA). Everyone in Chicago knows he's still my guy. We just wrote and produced an album for a new artist, and I'm re-writing "Summertime" for him (He's a shorty, so we think it could work again). We'll see.

You guys are super defensive about this. I realize this is a Will Smith fan site and it would make sense you guys defend him. I'm by no means saying the rumor is true but I'm not talking about Rakim writing Summertime. I

I'm talking about a legendary battle rapper who has gone on record in saying he helped write the track. Rakim never went on record anywhere. This I'm talking about is a claim that was actually made.

Juice: When I first moved back to Chicago from L.A., I began working with Clubhouse Entertainment. I was part of a writing team that produced "Summertime" by Will Smith, "The Kissing Game" by High Five, "Pass the Toilet Paper" by OutHere Brothers. I would freestyle in the booth and if there were any hot lines to be used, they would use 'em. I didn't really understand publishing at the time and didn't really care because those cats kind of took me in. We got sued by Kool and the Gang for the sample and nobody made money. It let me know that I had what it took to be a writer though. I am still working with the producer of "Summertime" (K Fingers aka AZZA). Everyone in Chicago knows he's still my guy. We just wrote and produced an album for a new artist, and I'm re-writing "Summertime" for him (He's a shorty, so we think it could work again). We'll see.

Yeah, but if there was really some truth behind it, don't you think the rumor would have come out earlier and not nearly 20 years later. I mean Summertime is hip hop's official summer anthem and classic!

• Members

Yeah, but if there was really some truth behind it, don't you think the rumor would have come out earlier and not nearly 20 years later. I mean Summertime is hip hop's official summer anthem and classic!

True but we're talking about a relativity unknown rapper from Chicago. Juice was semi-known on the internet in the early 00's due to his Wake Up Show battles but it's not like Nelly went ahead and made these claims. He didn't say he wrote the song he said he freestyled in the studio and some of the lines were used. I do NOT believe it; however I wish somebody credible and honest would confirm.