JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Wiesenthal Center annual National Tribute Dinner 2009

gosia

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre will present its highest honour, the Humanitarian Award, to actor/philanthropist Will Smith for his commitment to education, cultural diversity and social responsibility, at the centre's annual National Tribute Dinner on Tuesday, 5 May 2009. Actress Charlize Theron will present the award. Grammy Award-winning songwriter Josiah Bell is scheduled to perform.

congrats Will! :thumbsup:

Humanitarian award for Smith

Will Smith has been honoured with a humanitarian award from a Jewish human rights organisation.

The Simon Wiesenthal Centre presented the Hollywood star with its highest honour, the 2009 Humanitarian Award.

The centre admires Smith's commitment to education, cultural diversity, and social responsibility.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center is dedicated to generating change through education by confronting anti-semitism, hate and terrorism and promoting human rights.

"I came down and saw the museum and I just really wanted to be a part of supporting what it means and what it stands for and I had such a fantastic experience," said Smith.

The award was presented by Smith's Hancock co-star Charlize Theron.

She said: "I've actually never met anybody like Will. I've never met anybody who has the effect that he has on people.

"And putting all that aside, we all know that he opens movies like nobody's business, so it doesn't get any bigger than this guy. And if that's not enough to make your mouth drop he is one of the most genuine people you'll ever meet."

http://itn.co.uk/55b5454bad629e7459b66b23373fc99c.html

Will Smith on Who Should Play Black Bond!

Posted by ExtraTV Staff on May 6, 2009 1:09 PM

Actor Will Smith is dishing to "Extra" about who he thinks should play the first black James Bond on the big screen.

"Extra" caught up with the megastar last night, as he was presented with the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Humanitarian Award. When an "Extra" friend asked Will who would make a better black James Bond -- himself, P. Diddy, or Jamie Foxx -- Smith responded, "Puff probably lives the most like James Bond... Jamie Foxx got the swag for James Bond. He can sing too, so he can add a new element to Bond. Wooing the ladies... and I think I can guarantee the box office!"

Jamie Foxx wants fans to know that he is definitely in the running! He told our Mario Lopez that he wouldn't mind donning the 007 tux. "Might be kind of cool. What would my drink be? Not vodka. I'd have to drink Hennessy or something like that. Little yak attack for James Biz-ond!"

Smith is no stranger to playing secret agents on the big screen. He played Agent J in two "Men in Black" blockbusters -- and hopes to return for a third! "We've had a couple of meetings. We're looking at it," Smith says of a potential third round of the hit franchise. "The team has committed, so we have to do it service with the creative part of it. Everyone is on board, so we will see what happens."

"Extra" also caught up with Jada Pinkett-Smith at the ceremony, who brushed off rumors that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are planning on sending little Suri to Will and Jada's new Los Angeles area school. Pinkett-Smith tells "Extra," "No, Suri is not going to the school. That's just rumors."

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2009/05/will...should_play.php

More articles...

Will Smith's family proud as actor is recognised as great humanitarian

Will Smith's mantelpiece must be laden with accolades for his acting and musical achievements. On Wednesday, though, the 40-year-old's efforts away from the entertainment scene were recognised when he was presented with a humanitarian award. And no-one was prouder than the assembled members of his family.

"It's fantastic," said his elder son Trey, who joined step-mum Jada Pinkett Smith and the couple's two children, Jaden, ten, and eight-year-old Willow at the LA event. "He's a great man doing a lot of work in life and supporting his family."

Jada, the actor's wife of 11 years, added: "Will often gets honoured for the great talent he is, and it's just fantastic to see him being honoured for the great man that he is."

The actor's Hancock co-star Charlize Theron - on hand to present the Fresh Prince with his gong - also had some kind words to share about her pal. "I've never met anybody like Will," revealed the Oscar-winning beauty. "I've never met anybody who has the effect he has on people."

For Will, lending his support to others comes naturally. "When I started making music back in Philly at 12 years old there was always a big thing in my family; that whatever you do, first off you have to serve God. And if you serve god properly then you can serve your community," he explained.

"So the idea of service has always been engrained and connected to the idea of success. So if you win you've got to share it!"

http://www.hellomagazine.com/film/2009/05/...l-smith-theron/