JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Cassidy on Will Smith

fan 4ever

Hey now all those fans who only listen to new school hip-hop should check out the lyrics from this 2003 song "9 Elements" by KRS-ONE where he rapped about what real hip-hop is all about, they should buy his albums to find out what real talent is, I love this song so much :dj:

Well my ladies and gentlemen
This is a rapsession and my name is "KRS-One!"
And when I talk about "Hip-Hop Music!", I know

[Kris]
One : Breaking or breakdancing
Rally b-boying, freestyle or streetdancin'
Two : MC'ing or rap
Divine speech what I'm doing right now no act
Three: Grafitti art or burning bombin'
Taggin', writin', now you're learning! uh!
Four : DJ'ing, we ain't playing!
{*scratch*} You know what I'm saying!
Five : Beatboxing
Give me a {*beatboxin*} Yes and we rockin'!
Six : Street fashion, lookin' fly
Catchin' the eye while them cats walk on by
Seven: Street language, our verbal communication
Our codes throughout the nation
Eight: Street knowledge, common sense
The wisdom of the elders from way back whence
Nine : Street entrepreneur realism
No job, just get up call 'em and get 'em

Here's how I'm tellin' it, all 9 Elements
We stand in love, no we're never failing it
Intelligent? No doubt
Hip-Hop? We're not selling it out, we're just lettin' it out
If you're checkin' us out this hour, we teatchin' hip-hop
Holy integrated people have it, I'm the present power!

[Chorus]
Rap is something you do!
3x Hip-Hop is something you live! *scratched*
Rap is something you do!
Hip-Hop is something you live! *scratched*

[Kris]
Skaters, BMX-bike riders rock
Don't you ever stop! You are hip-hop
You doing the same things we did on our block in the suburbs
You know you be packing that black block
Selling that crackrock and ecstacy
Gettin' pissydrunk, fallin' out next to me
But like I told those in the ghettoes
Here's the facts! True hip-hop is so much more than that
Some much more than rap, so much more than beats
Hip-hop is all about victory over the streets
What you see on TV is a lie
That's not something you wanna live or pattern your life by
But, huh that's too much preachin' ain't it?
You don't want the ?education?, you wanna be dead on the pavement
Well, so be it, some of ya'll ain't gonna see it
Others wanna enslave your mind! Kris wanna free it!

[Chorus]
Rap is something you do!
5x Hip-Hop is something you live! *scratched*

"Oh yea" *scratched* --- From "P is dead"

"I have spent my whole life livin'", "talk to the fullest", "no doubt"

[Kris]
You know that's why these rappers can't hang
Cause the essence of hip-hop is not a material thang
They so careless, hip-hop is in a {?} we give
Rap we do, hip-hop we live
How many times I gotta say it? How the radio ain't gonna play it
And you hip-hoppers sit back and okay it
Think about it! (think about it)
The present course of action, we have got to reroute it!

[Chorus: repeat 3X]
Hip-Hop is something you live!

You see ol' school mcs spit reality while new school mcs rap like life's a movie! :ditto:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=DefCEM,Oct 4 2004, 08:46 PM]I know, its a stupid question, bt whats the difference between rapper and mc?
is an mc doing more than just rapping or what? i dont get it... :what: :dunno:
jjfp rocks the house![/quote]
A rapper just raps. Nothing more 2 it. Pretty much anybody can be a rapper. An Emcee / MC is best discribed by Rakim as someone who can "[b][u]m[/u][/b]ove the [b][u]c[/u][/b]rowd." A rapper who can relate 2 their fans and get a reaction from them, that's an emcee. These days rappers don't know how 2 perform, put on a show, and even have a personality. FP, Run, Rakim, KRS put on a show that people love and they draw the fans in. People like Ludacris, Nelly, 50 Cent simply get on stage, scream alot, cuss, and walk around with a posse of like 2-5 no namers. When people like FP, Wyclef, KRS, and so on put on a show, they talk 2 the audience and they put on a quality show. MC Hammer did it with shiny suits and like 100 back up dancers...but people like JJ+FP and Run-DMC did with just microphones and turntables. It didn't matter the level of show...if u can reach people, u are an emcee. Rappers these days just don't know how 2 perform

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Oct 5 2004, 01:12 AM][quote=DefCEM,Oct 4 2004, 08:46 PM] I know, its a stupid question, bt whats the difference between rapper and mc?
is an mc doing more than just rapping or what? i dont get it... :what:  :dunno:
A rapper just raps. Nothing more 2 it. Pretty much anybody can be a rapper. An Emcee / MC is best discribed by Rakim as someone who can "[b][u]m[/u][/b]ove the [b][u]c[/u][/b]rowd." A rapper who can relate 2 their fans and get a reaction from them, that's an emcee. These days rappers don't know how 2 perform, put on a show, and even have a personality. FP, Run, Rakim, KRS put on a show that people love and they draw the fans in. People like Ludacris, Nelly, 50 Cent simply get on stage, scream alot, cuss, and walk around with a posse of like 2-5 no namers. When people like FP, Wyclef, KRS, and so on put on a show, they talk 2 the audience and they put on a quality show. MC Hammer did it with shiny suits and like 100 back up dancers...but people like JJ+FP and Run-DMC did with just microphones and turntables. It didn't matter the level of show...if u can reach people, u are an emcee. Rappers these days just don't know how 2 perform [/quote]
Ayo Luda got skills. He really proved his lyrical worth on his last album. And he does know how to mofe a crowd. I would agree he's on the fence and would probably call him just a rapper myself, but he does got lyrical talent, and he can put on a show.

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Oct 5 2004, 12:12 AM][quote=DefCEM,Oct 4 2004, 08:46 PM] I know, its a stupid question, bt whats the difference between rapper and mc?
A rapper just raps. Nothing more 2 it. Pretty much anybody can be a rapper. An Emcee / MC is best discribed by Rakim as someone who can "[b][u]m[/u][/b]ove the [b][u]c[/u][/b]rowd." A rapper who can relate 2 their fans and get a reaction from them, that's an emcee. These days rappers don't know how 2 perform, put on a show, and even have a personality. FP, Run, Rakim, KRS put on a show that people love and they draw the fans in. People like Ludacris, Nelly, 50 Cent simply get on stage, scream alot, cuss, and walk around with a posse of like 2-5 no namers. When people like FP, Wyclef, KRS, and so on put on a show, they talk 2 the audience and they put on a quality show. MC Hammer did it with shiny suits and like 100 back up dancers...but people like JJ+FP and Run-DMC did with just microphones and turntables. It didn't matter the level of show...if u can reach people, u are an emcee. Rappers these days just don't know how 2 perform [/quote]
Thanx! i know what you're talking about :sad6:

I saw a couple of concerts from eminem or 50... it was so boring to watch.
i just hate it. and people are saying that these dudes and all the others are rocking he house :daedulus:

Just look at FPs perfomance with JJ and Biz in London. Just 2 Turntables and a Mic.

Bizmarkie was in Germany a couple of years ago, in a hiphop festival. i was shocked when i heard (by internet) that nobody knew the lyrics or even the songs!
The people are blinded by Nelly & Co!

...JJFP Rocks The House!

[quote=Perry,Oct 5 2004, 01:22 PM]Ayo Luda got skills. He really proved his lyrical worth on his last album. And he does know how to mofe a crowd. I would agree he's on the fence and would probably call him just a rapper myself, but he does got lyrical talent, and he can put on a show.[/quote]
I definatel agree! Ludacris is really good! I dont think u can put them in the same category as other questionable rappers!

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Oct 5 2004, 12:12 AM][quote=DefCEM,Oct 4 2004, 08:46 PM] I know, its a stupid question, bt whats the difference between rapper and mc?
:werd: Hip-Hop is about putting on a show and it's more than about spitting rhymes, like KRS-One said in that song they're 9 elements:MC'ing, Beat Boxing, Graffiti Art, Street Language, Street Knowledge, DJ'ing, Street Fashion, Street Entrepeneuar Realism, and of course Break Dancing. You talk about putting on a good show, I like to watch tapes of ol' school Soul Train that my father taped in the '70s, that's some real performancers who knew how to rock the house, these cats today that go on Soul Train have nothing on what they did. If you checked the BET Awards last year when they gave James Brown the award for lifetime achievement (50 years of performing! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: ) he put on a great show when he performed his greatest hits, at 75 years old, he displayed more energy than rappers that're 50 years younger than him performing at that show like 50 Cent, and Michael Jackson came on stage and rocked the house with him, it was an ultimate performance, today's rappers should learn from them legends how to put on a show! :werd: I know I'm learning from them that's for sure 'cause I respect the game!

I ain't a big fan of Ludacris but some of music videos are pretty damn funny, you could tell that FP was his inspiration 'cause some of his rhymes are comical. One of my favorites songs from him is "Move Bitch", he does bring more energy than some rappers out now, I remember when Marcus rapped some of it in Bad Boys II, it's one of my favorite scenes in that movie, it was so damn funny! :roll:

Guest lambertj3

you guys are too funny i have backed up my claim bigted so it is u who needs to shut up because u don't know evryone who bought 50/g-nits cd's to say it's only white kids buying it the only people who think like you are what people on this board? lol u kill me, and aj it's STILL A MATTER OF PREFERENCE GET A CLUE!

For your information lambert, I don't like to join the bandwagons like you, I bet you wouldn't like G Unit if they didn't sell 3 million CDs, I liked 50 Cent when he was an underground mc, but I see that he changed his style when he sold 6 million CD's, I was disappointed after hearing "Get Rich Or Die Tryin", half the songs on the album I have to skip over, not consistant compared to his underground mixtapes, besides they're a lot of ignorant people in this world that don't know what real talent is, let them stay ignorant if they want to, I don't hold anything against them, but I like to build intelligence and form my own opinion, I'm an individual, go ahead and be a Jay-Z wannabe if you want to, I like FP and many rappers but I build my own individual style because I don't wanna be like anyone else, it doesn't matter what you say about me because I'm gonna get my due and I don't give a damn if I sell 200 or 2 million CD's I'm gonna remain myself and that's all that matters to me, nobody's taking my soul from me, I rather be one in a million on the low that the average person in the crowd 'cause I'll come up when haters least expect it, go ahead and diss me, I could care less!

I do think Ludacris is a definitly a step up from your average popular rapper these days...but i don't see him as anything special. I 1st heard him on Timbaland's 1998 album "The Bassment." That track he's on "Fat Rabbit" is dope...some of his early stuff waz real good 2. However, i don't like much of his stuff anymore. "Gold Digger" off the SharkTale soundtrack is great tho.' I've seen him live tho'...very boring. Just walking back and forth on stage rapping/yelling.

Guest lambertj3

who dissed u bigted ? i just responded to your diss lol werent you the one who told me to shut up? and your wrong 50 never changed his style you changed your test so go ahead and diss me if u want you just graduated high school and i wish u the best i am 28 and been around the world i just hope you come to learn this is all based on opinion and prefernce. and aj how can u say 50 only appeals to white people all the people i have seen are black and 20+ and they say 50 puts emotion in his music. and perry for someone who said in a previous post how they were just barely listnening to hip hop u cant say what hip hop is if you have'nt been there from the begging. you kids will learn its just a matter of YOU GETTING MORE KNOWLEDGE. like dre said ive been there done that . and only immature school kids would tear a person down and diss them for having a f=difference of opinion than someone else, so why are you trying tom tear me down bigted thats pretty lame.

50 Cent did change his style. I used 2 listen 2 some cameos and mixtape stuff stuff back around 1998 and he style is very different...at least the stuff i heard waz. It waz better than what his style is now. Bottom line, he's sell out 2 his original style. Listen 2 the music...the proof is there.

I'm not saying 50's fanbase is exclusivly white teenagers...but the older people know better and they aren't gonna be attracted 2 music like that. Not most of them who are really in2 Hip-Hop.

Guest lambertj3

what songs are you refering to that he changed his style because a lot of his mixtapes songs sound like a lot of his stuff now i don't see him as selling out or changing his style and i am 28