JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Cassidy on Will Smith

fan 4ever

This isn't a matter of opinion. G-Unit makes rap music...not Hip-Hop. Where's the aspects of Hip-Hop in their music....THERE ISN'T ANY!! I've heard some of their stuff...there's no Hip-Hop in there...or substance 4 that matter.

Saying G-Unit is Hip-Hop is just as silly as saying Guns + Roses is Hip-Hop.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether G-Unit makes good music or not is a matter of opinion. THIS IS NOT A MATTER OF OPINION. G-Unit makes rap music, not Hip-Hop. Where's the Hip-Hop in their music?? There isn't any, i've heard some of their stuff...there isn't even any substance. It's like Chinese food...it may satisfy some people 4 a lil' while, but they leave u begging 4 something good shortly after. How can u say u are a Nice & Smooth fan and throw G-Unit in with the same class as them?!? Don't act like their music is anything alike.

And it is kinda true that an army of suburban kids are giving G-Unit most of their success. Whenver i'm in a music store it's always the young teens lookin' at G-Unit CDs...i've never seen someone 20 years or older looking at a G-Unit or any of their solo CDs. On top of that, i see lots of young kids walking around in G-Unit clothing and i just wanna crack their ignorant heads 2gether. Not once have i seen a grown person wearing G-Unit shirt. That's the facts from AJ's point of view.

[quote=lambertj3,Oct 4 2004, 09:32 AM]thats not true g-unit is making hip hop for people who been through what they been through u dont understand , 12year olds are not allowed to listen to them so how are they making it for 12 years old and still being succesful u r wrong[/quote]
Just because it says parental warning or whatever on the CD doesn't mean they don't listen to it

they put age restrictions on so many things, but nearly everybody ignores them so i'm afraid you can't say i'm wrong about that

[quote=lambertj3,Oct 4 2004, 07:49 AM]RESPECTFULLY bigted thats YOUR opinion not evryone will agree with you on that maybe on this board yes but everyone on here makes up of about 5% of the world and you can't tell them they know what real hip hop is because its a matter of personal prefference , i can't tell u what real hip hop is because we have a difference of opinion, it's all about PREFERNCE![/quote]
It seems that I can back up my opinion and you can't that's the difference between me and you, what's the use of saying something when you can't just back it up! :nhawong: Maybe I would respect ur opinion more if you said something of why G-Unit is relevant, what else do they offer to the game besides songs about ****ing bitches and having phat rides, I do like some gangsta rap groups like NWA that make songs more than just about that 'cause songs like "F*** The Police" and "Express Yourself" have strong conscious messages to them, they're more hardcore hip-hop, but they're considered a gangsta rap group technically and G-Unit has nothing on them 'cause they're not conscious about anything, some other group will come along soon and take their place on the charts and nobody'll remember them after they fall off ! :ditto: At least AJ and me back up our opinions so shut up if you can't 'cause I don't respect people that can't back up their opinions! :ali:

G-Unit and HipHop? LOL
G-Unit just wants to MAKE MONEY MONEY MAKE MONEY MONEY MONEEEEY!!!!

Theres a difference between the rappers back in the day and today.
The only thing which counts today is the image, the appereance of the rappers. The only reason why 50 Cent is succesful, is the fact that he's pushing up his image! the kids look at him and think "yo this guy is really cool. he looks like a real gangsta" => "so he must be one of the best in the game"...and stuff like that.
Lyrical skills doesn't matter anymore :sad:

The young rappers today doesn't care about what real hiphop is. they're just there to make as much money they can. the music is loosing his quality, kids are wasting their money and the sucker MCs are getting the money. its somethin like a brainwash...

I had a discussion with my friend today about hiphop.
He believes that Twista is a better MC than Will.
his only argument for this statement is that he's sounding better than Will. He says that Will is just rapping about "flowers" and "bees", some kind of "kindergarden rapper".
I tried to explain him that Will is one of the biggest, cause of his work for hiphop and that he has always done it for da love of the game. But my friend didn't understand what i mean.
He thinks that i'm living in my "Big Willy" World...

...wow, how could i write so much in english???
hmm, i hope you understand it :thumb:

I didn't read this whole argument but I got a few comments to make. before I do know that I am in no way a fan of 50/G-Unit etc. Though the one cat out there doing that I respect in one way is Em because he does have some real raw talent. Wasted in one way or not he does have skill.

Don't talk about how Public Enemy in the past, wherefore you can't put him with 50, because not so long ago Chuck and Flav turned up at a 50 concert in Australia because he was over there doing shows and came out on stage saying he hopes 50 does his thing for a long time. One man who knows rap is Chuck and in his opinion 50 is doing his thing. So using Public Enemy isn't right.

That said as above is correct. These people are rap artist. Not Hip Hop. If we are looking at Hip Hop's origins it's a culture. Not a style of music. Rap is the music, Hip Hop is the culture. It embraces many things from B-boy's to DJs and Rappers. Allthough Hip Hop as a word has become known as rap music, it's not technically true.

Now about the money. Many, many people would turn down a superstar career just so they wasn't 'Selling out' as it were. Personally Id do it another way. The only person who comes to mind who did it is Christina. Got a pop contract, because a superstar then turned her back on it and did everything in her own style. If she hadn't done the pop music she dosen't really like she wouldn't be a millionaire doing her own thing right now. Sometimes you just got bite the bullet and do things.

Now that that's said I'm going to find my Tribe CD's. I have a headache from all the bad music I'm talking about..

I've broken this down b4...but let me do it again. Hip-Hop music is any kinda music coming from Hip-Hop culture. Mary J. Blige makes R-N-B music...but she also makes Hip-Hop music. Listen 2 the lyrics...listen 2 where she's comin' from. Just cuz she isn't rapping (tho' she has), it dosen't mean she isn't a Hip-Hop artist making Hip-Hop music.

Rap music is simply music with someone rappin' on it. That's what G-Unit is. Those guys aren't saying anything that has 2 do with Hip-Hop culture. They are simply rapping....not emceeing.

Look at the difference. Emcees like FP are rockin' the mic, being themselves (whether it's popular or not), they take life and put it in2 music. They got heart and intellegence. They got real DJing and beatboxing when neccessary. People like Nelly just rap. Do u really get anything out of his music lyrically...dose it really represent the lifestyle of people who buying the albums?!?!

Let's be real...there's a difference between people like Fresh Prince, LL Cool J, Rakim, Chuck D, Run-DMC, Talib Kweli, Guru, Heavy D, Treach, 2pac, KRS-One and people like Ja-Rule, Nelly, 50 Cent, Lil' Scrappy, Chingy, and Master P. U can like what u want...but don't u dare mix that up. 2 honestly say people like 50 Cent are Hip-Hop is like spitting on the game. Like what u want, but try 2 fool other people.

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Oct 4 2004, 03:21 PM]I've broken this down b4...but let me do it again. Hip-Hop music is any kinda music coming from Hip-Hop culture. Mary J. Blige makes R-N-B music...but she also makes Hip-Hop music. Listen 2 the lyrics...listen 2 where she's comin' from. Just cuz she isn't rapping (tho' she has), it dosen't mean she isn't a Hip-Hop artist making Hip-Hop music.

Rap music is simply music with someone rappin' on it. That's what G-Unit is. Those guys aren't saying anything that has 2 do with Hip-Hop culture. They are simply rapping....not emceeing.

Look at the difference. Emcees like FP are rockin' the mic, being themselves (whether it's popular or not), they take life and put it in2 music. They got heart and intellegence. They got real DJing and beatboxing when neccessary. People like Nelly just rap. Do u really get anything out of his music lyrically...dose it really represent the lifestyle of people who buying the albums?!?!

Let's be real...there's a difference between people like Fresh Prince, LL Cool J, Rakim, Chuck D, Run-DMC, Talib Kweli, Guru, Heavy D, Treach, 2pac, KRS-One and people like Ja-Rule, Nelly, 50 Cent, Lil' Scrappy, Chingy, and Master P. U can like what u want...but don't u dare mix that up. 2 honestly say people like 50 Cent are Hip-Hop is like spitting on the game. Like what u want, but try 2 fool other people.[/quote]
:werd:

Knowledge. That's what I'm saying but you got it a lot more precise and on point.

Chuck D supports 50 Cent 'cause he just loves the hip-hop culture as a whole just like FP does 'cause Will's cool with Nelly too they did that MTV interview together a couple of years ago, and Rev. Run talked about how Eminem has some skills in what he rhymes, they know deep down that these cats are wack but they just wanna see hip-hop stay out there no matter who's there these cats never really got in a hip-hop beef and they don't wanna start one now 'cause they want peace and that's not being soft, they're just trying to lead these young cats in the right direction but it seems like no matter what they're told they don't listen anyway! :bang: Even when KRS-ONE beefed with Nelly he said in an interview that Nelly's a talented artist but he just needs some direction on how to make real hip-hop and should respect the veterans that struggled for Nelly to get success that he's getting now! :werd: You're right AJ about Mary J. Blidge being hip-hop she expresses a lot of pain and emotion in her songs from her soul, that's what real hip-hop is, music from the soul, before hip-hop started there was artists like James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Ray Charles, and Marvin Gaye who blueprinting the basis of real hip-hop, music with heart and a strong message, you gotta give it up to them! :bowdown:

• Admin
[quote=Perry,Oct 4 2004, 12:34 PM]Don't talk about how Public Enemy in the past, wherefore you can't put him with 50, because not so long ago Chuck and Flav turned up at a 50 concert in Australia because he was over there doing shows and came out on stage saying he hopes 50 does his thing for a long time. One man who knows rap is Chuck and in his opinion 50 is doing his thing. So using Public Enemy isn't right.[/quote]
hey chuck also said hew was disturbed by getting 20, 000 white kids to make chants about killing people etc.. and 50 really needs to work on his live show..chuck was unimpressed by the whole show if u read his whole terrordome.. he was just happy that 50 was atleast travellin around the world..because hip hop is worldwide..