JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Cassidy on Will Smith

fan 4ever

[quote=Hero1,Sep 23 2004, 06:49 PM]will did have some serious skills back in the day..if you compare em to what was out at the time... chuck d has even said this..[/quote]
You've got to take into account 'back in the day' rap was actually about saying things like you're the greatest. Being funny. Having charisma really meant something back then. 'Skills' mean a differant thing back then to now. Now it means one of two things.

A) You're a 50 Cent style raptastic disaster.

B) You flow with real vocab and ability. You understand language etc. I'm talking GZA flow here. That's what having skill on a mic means to me.

Back in the day it was so differant. I mean compare Will, Slick Rick, Biz Markie.. in fact pick an old school artist and compare them to a modern rapper. It can't really be done because the rap style is so differant. Hence the name, 'Old School'.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Will's lyrics R simple. 2 be honest, u kno? It truly is just how he presents himself. I talked 2 big ted and he mentioned heart. And that'z exactly what Will has had even wit money. 4 some, it'z hard 2 be true 12 yourself and still make a lotta money. (in the music biz). And Will's one of the few that has done it. Will just letz himself show.

[quote=mfuqua23,Sep 24 2004, 06:50 PM]Wow. Will's lyrics R simple. 2 be honest, u kno? It truly is just how he presents himself. I talked 2 big ted and he mentioned heart. And that'z exactly what Will has had even wit money. 4 some, it'z hard 2 be true 12 yourself and still make a lotta money. (in the music biz). And Will's one of the few that has done it. Will just letz himself show.[/quote]
That's what im sayin, when you really break Will's lyrics down they are real simple. His rhyme scheme is unbelievably basic. It's just how he presents himself and his delivery.

I don't know what y'all mean by simple. Much of FP's style is taken from his early days where rhymes were more straight forward...but on that note, who is actually complex...not anybody who has an album on the top of the charts. Emcee's like J-Live and Talib Kweli have more complex rhymes...but they aren't commercial emcees.

There's nothing simple about being original, when you bring your own style in the game, you're doing something and when you remain true to your own style, then you're doing somethin' truely special, Michael Jordan is the best NBA player of all time 'cause he brought an all original style to the NBA, most players today wanna immitate that style in their game instead of comin' up with something new, that's the same way with hip-hop, more cats are trying to immitate 2Pac and Biggie rather than comin' up with their own style! :ditto: That's why I'm taking my time and trying to find my own style rather than just come out quickly with someone elses style! :werd:

[quote=bigted,Sep 28 2004, 09:04 AM]There's nothing simple about being original, when you bring your own style in the game, you're doing something and when you remain true to your own style, then you're doing somethin' truely special, Michael Jordan is the best NBA player of all time 'cause he brought an all original style to the NBA, most players today wanna immitate that style in their game instead of comin' up with something new, that's the same way with hip-hop, more cats are trying to immitate 2Pac and Biggie rather than comin' up with their own style! :ditto: That's why I'm taking my time and trying to find my own style rather than just come out quickly with someone elses style! :werd:[/quote]
Nobody mentioned anything about Will being unoriginal... :dunno:

I know that nobody said that Perry but y'all been sayin' how Will's rhyme scheme is simple or basic, that ain't true, creativity raises it to another level, his rhymes are very clever 'cause he says things that other rappers don't, he ain't the best lyrically, but he's definately above average, he can hold his own against any mc out right now 'cause they say the same **** all the time, like Jay-Z, he's a great freestyler but his style ain't original, he copied all of his albums off of Biggie's style, you'd be blind not to see that! :werd:

[quote=bigted,Sep 28 2004, 08:43 PM]I know that nobody said that Perry but y'all been sayin' how Will's rhyme scheme is simple or basic, that ain't true, [b]creativity raises it to another level, his rhymes are very clever 'cause he says things that other rappers don't,[/b] he ain't the best lyrically, but he's definately above average, [b]he can hold his own against any mc out right now 'cause they say the same **** all the time, like Jay-Z, he's a great freestyler but his style ain't original, he copied all of his albums off of Biggie's style, you'd be blind not to see that! :werd:[/b][/quote]
Everything I've bolded it irrelevant. Nobody was disputing those things. Yes Will is one Hell of an artist. Yes Will and Jeff are one of a kind, with they're own style. Yes they are differant from everybody else. Yes yes yes.

No Will's *[i]Rhyme scheme[/i]* is not above average. It's other things that make his rhyme's the extraordinary raps that they are. He does the odd time make some rhymes that astound me, coming from him. What's youre favourite Will verse ?