JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo

Ale

Columbia taps Chris Murphy to write script

Columbia Pictures is back in the dojo with a new version of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid," which has been refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith.

The film will be produced by Jerry Weintraub (who launched the original franchise) and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter, Will Smith and Ken Stovitz. Will Smith, who is the 10-year-old actor's father, co-starred alongside Jaden in his feature debut, "The Pursuit of Happyness," which Overbrook and Escape Artists produced for Columbia.

The script is being written by Chris Murphy, and the film will shoot next year in Beijing and other cities. While the new film will be set in that exotic locale, it will borrow elements of the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.

China Film Group Corp. will co-produce in China.

The younger Smith, who next stars in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," is a martial arts practitioner.

Columbia presidents Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach said they had been trying to find a way to bring back the series, which began with three films that featured Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. A subsequent film launched the career of Hilary Swank.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799561...yid=13&cs=1

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too soon for a remake of this. Plus Jaden is about 10 years younger than Ralph Macchio was when he made this film. Gonna be waay to much of a kiddy film rather than the edgy slightly dark family movie the original was.

oh geez he was serious about this?

I think Will's got a real case of the "mini me's", yet another Overbrook production starring Jaden. (Newton's Law, Amulet, Karate Kid) seems like overkill. I just hope they get a reign on his little ego before they let him do anymore movies.

I can't see this gfrom being anything but awful. No need to remake a classic like that.

I gotta agree with Tim on this one. The Karate Kid(both 1 &2) were really good movies. This movie is going to be a popcorn kiddie flick.... and it will be bad. I don't see this recapturing the magic of the original Karate Kid.

Edited by TopDawg14

I think it will be good!!! With Jerry Weintraub and Will producing it can't be bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this makes a lot of money. But don't be surprised if this turns into a classic in it's own right.

Edited by JusticeKnight