JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jada/Fam/Misc

MissAshley

Jada Pinkett Smith Says U.S. TV Shows Aren’t Given Chance To Succeed

Pinkett Smith, in London on Monday promoting the launch of Sony Entertainment Television, the studio’s first branded UK channel, says the economy has made the U.S. TV marketplace even more brutal. “Shows are not being given enough time to find their feet,” says the star and executive producer of TNT's Sony TV-produced Hawthorne. “The economy has hit the TV industry very hard; lots of people have lost their jobs.”

Pinkett Smith admits she finds both starring in and producing Hawthorne a strain. But she wanted to earn her producer chops quickly, which is why she was attracted to doing a weekly TV show. On a big movie like Karate Kid -- which she also produced -- everything moves slowly by comparison. “I felt that I wasn’t acquiring the skills that I wanted to," she says. "Moving to TV, my skills got tight very quickly. On a television show you’ve got seven days to make it happen. We’re making a movie every single week.”

Husband Will Smith is very involved in Hawthorne, Pinkett Smith says -- he’s just given script notes on the first three episodes of the current season, which TNT will kick off in the U.S. in June. “Will is a master when it comes to structure as far as story is concerned, there’s nobody better in the business,” she says. “It’s not easy working with your husband.”

The Smiths are still in negotiations with Ryan Murphy for him to direct a remake of Annie, starring their daughter Willow. There is not a start date.

SET launches in the UK on April 7, with Hawthorne as the central plank of its schedule. Aimed at women ages 25-54, the channel will feature movies both old and new, plus U.S. imports such as 'Til Death and Huff.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/jada-pinkett-smith-says-u-s-tv-shows-aren%E2%80%99t-given-chance-to-succeed/

ANYONE WHO knows Charlie Mack Alston knows his heart matches his supersized 6-foot-7-inch frame.

One night recently, Alston was lying in bed watching 6ABC news when he learned that thieves had broken into West Philadelphia High School and stolen 60 computers, each valued in excess of $1,000. For most TV viewers, that tragic story was just another moment to "tsk, tsk" as they waited for the weather forecast.

Not so for Mack.

Alston, who broke into the Hollywood scene by doing security for Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff, was so moved by the plight of the students at West Philly High, many of whom don't have their own personal laptops or Internet connections at home, that he reached out to Smith, who was in New York City filming "Men in Black III," and told him about the Feb. 21 theft. There was no lengthy discussion - it was just two like-minded pals agreeing to do whatever it took to make sure the students were able to get back online as quickly as possible.

"It was just on my heart that I wanted to do something. I said,

'We've got to replace those computers.' . . . I told Will and then I called West Philly High School," Alston told me yesterday. "I wanted this within 24 hours . . . so they [the students] didn't have any excuses as to why they couldn't compete, why they couldn't perform.

"I said, 'Hello, my name is Charlie Mack. I'm interested in replacing the computers that were stolen.' "

Happy endings don't always come that quickly, though. It took a bit to convince school officials that he was serious.

Next, he needed to contact district personnel who put him in touch with the district's Apple representative to order the replacement equipment.

Meanwhile, the police investigation was continuing. A week after the early-morning heist, police arrested two students, one from West Philly High and the other from University City High, after being tipped off by a man who had purchased one of the stolen computers on Craigslist.

Authorities arranged to buy one as well, which is how they wound up nabbing the two 17-year-old suspects. Authorities have since recovered 30 of the missing computers.

Alston, who organizes the Party 4 Peace celebrity weekends, plans to deliver 30 new computers tomorrow at 1 p.m. under the banner of the Will and Jada Smith Foundation and his own philanthropic organization, Charlie Cares. Smith won't be present since he'll be flying off to join his wife, who is accompanying their daughter, Willow, as she tours with pop star Justin Bieber.

When I called West Philly High, I was directed to the school district, which didn't return my calls. I wanted to hear about the program scheduled for tomorrow. I suspect that while he's there, Alston is going to share a little bit of the inspirational story of his life, which took him from selling drugs to walking the Hollywood red carpet. Jeff and Smith once recorded a song about him called "Charlie Mack (1st Out of the Limo)":

"Everywhere we go, downtown or to a show

We have two necessities, Charlie Mack and our limo

He's feared by suckers yet he's loved by kids

Pay attention and let me tell you who Charlie Mack is

He is our homeboy from around the block

He's regarded through the city as the hip-hop cop . . . "

"I love my life. I love it. I love the fact that I'm going to go there Friday and support these kids," Alston said. "The children are our future. We have to support them."

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/celebrities/118131654.html

Jaden Smith is ALIVE -- very alive -- despite some sick, stupid BOGUS Internet report that he died in a snowboarding accident in Switzerland.

Just like Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Jeff Goldblum, Urkel and Pat Sajak ... some moron published a FALSE report thinking it would be funny.

But Smith's rep tells us, "It's absolutely not true."

www.tmz.com

Will also confirmed Jaden is ok on his facebook. What sick people make this stuff up?

Willow Smith to Perform at Kids' Choice Awards

Get ready to whip your hair back and forth.

Willow Smith will join the Black Eyes Peas and Nickelodeon's Big Time Rush as a performer at this year's Kids' Choice Awards.

"I'm so excited to be performing at the Kids' Choice Awards," Smith says. "Really hoping I don't get slimed!"

It's safe to say the show will include lots of slime – and big stars. Presenters include Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Josh Duhamel, Jaden Smith, Sofia Vergara, Nick Cannon, Miranda Cosgrove, Cory Monteith and, PEOPLE confirms, Kourtney and Kim Kardashian.

Even Britney Spears is set to make a special appearance and funny man Jack Black is hosting for a third time.

Record-breaking numbers of fans – 140 million and counting! – have been voting for their favorites at Nick.com and will find out who walks away with a coveted Blimp when the ceremony airs live from Los Angeles on April 2.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20476559,00.html