JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Obama, the economy and the recession

MaxFly

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/col...well/index.html

(CNN) -- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

:signthankspin:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John McCain seemed dismissive about Powell's endorsement of Obama.

See this article: McCain Camp Dismisses Powell Endorsement

U.S. conservative radio host(and overall jerk) Rush Limbaugh said that the only reason Powell endorsed Obama because he was black. This is the opinion of most conservatives in the U.S. They defended Powell while he was in the Bush administration and as soon as he left the Bush White House and spoke out about the war in Iraq, conservatives began branding him a traitor.

Here is what Rush Limbaugh said: Limbaugh, Conservatives Inject Race in Powell Endorsement

I think this is really gutter politics on the part of conservatives but I'm not surprised. They'll do anything to win this election.

Mccain's Done Now

John McCain seemed dismissive about Powell's endorsement of Obama.

See this article: McCain Camp Dismisses Powell Endorsement

U.S. conservative radio host(and overall jerk) Rush Limbaugh said that the only reason Powell endorsed Obama because he was black. This is the opinion of most conservatives in the U.S. They defended Powell while he was in the Bush administration and as soon as he left the Bush White House and spoke out about the war in Iraq, conservatives began branding him a traitor.

Here is what Rush Limbaugh said: Limbaugh, Conservatives Inject Race in Powell Endorsement

I think this is really gutter politics on the part of conservatives but I'm not surprised. They'll do anything to win this election.

I can't blame McCain for being dismissive of the endorsement. Politically, it's the smart thing to do. There's no doubt that Powell's embrace of Obama burns McCain like ether, but he has to shrug it off, at least for appearances.

Limbaugh's remarks were detestable, and if conservatives refuse to call him on them, I can't help but believe that they are in agreement. If Powell was singularlly motivated by race, he would have endorsed much earlier. As it stands, he donated the maximum he could have to McCain during the primaries.

Well I think McCain has been done for some time now. I still will vote for him, as anything can happen, but Powell basically made his announcement after Obama had made so great advances that it proves little to help Obama's already strong momentum. It's in the same category as John Edwards endorsing Obama after he clearly could not lose the Democratic primary.

And when has Rush Limbaugh ever been on the side of McCain? I think Obama and his supporters have distorted the record to show Rush and John as friends. Rush said he'd vote Hillary if McCain was the nominee. To lump those two together and to tag Rush's comments to the McCain camp is the same swift-boat tactics people abhore.

And when has Rush Limbaugh ever been on the side of McCain? I think Obama and his supporters have distorted the record to show Rush and John as friends. Rush said he'd vote Hillary if McCain was the nominee. To lump those two together and to tag Rush's comments to the McCain camp is the same swift-boat tactics people abhore.

The far right got on McCains side as soon as it was decided he was the republican nominee...so a lot of media figure who esentially hate McCain's guts side with him when issues come up...its a whole party over person dynamic, you can rarely get a republican to say that they used to hate John McCain about a year ago.

This isn't about Rush being on the side of McCain. This is about Limbaugh singing the praises of Powell when he makes the case for war in Iraq in '03 but slandering the man when he endorses Obama for president. This endorsement wasn't about race. This endorsement was about picking the better candidate. For Rush to simplify this to Powell endorsing Obama because they're black men is racist & ludicrous. If race was the issue then why didn't Powell endorse Obama months ago? I mean after all, Powell was still black months ago. That's what I meant by Rush's comments.

• Admin

That guy Bob isnt even thinking on the concecuences... he is a Phillies fan..

:muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha:

You gotta watch this video!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/20/k...c_n_136385.html

Olbermann "Special Comment" On 'Real America,' Palin, Bachmann

absolutely spot on!

bob why are you still voting for McCain? Are you not concerned about the economic consequences if he is elected. What if palin becomes your next president?

I'm voting for McCain because half of Reaganomics is true:

If you raise taxes on the rich CEO, you do lead to short term stunts in economic growth (CEO hedges against losing profits so they lower incomes of the small guy, reduce jobs etc). That is the last thing we need right now. Long term, it is better for us, but short term, it shoots us in the foot when we are already hopping on only one.

I'm voting for McCain because he was the Senator that pushed through the two Supreme Court Justices who respect life.

I'm voting for McCain because he has fought his own party, and the Democrats. Obama has never gone against his own party. Neither party is wholely correct....and thus anyone wanting to be my president should have shown independence from both parties at times.

Regarding Palin, she would do wonders in the fight against abortion. Beyond that, yes she is a concern, but quite frankly, when you see abortion as the ending of innocent human life, it really does trump everything else.

I

Well I think McCain has been done for some time now. I still will vote for him, as anything can happen, but Powell basically made his announcement after Obama had made so great advances that it proves little to help Obama's already strong momentum. It's in the same category as John Edwards endorsing Obama after he clearly could not lose the Democratic primary.

I don't think that's the case at all. There are a few reasons why Powell's endorsement at this particular time in the race is effective.

First, this election has exhibited a consistent ebb and flow in the polls. Overall, Obama is fairing better right now than he did last month, but as of late, McCain has been making small gains in the polls. I think Powell's endorsement put a premature end to whatever gains McCain could have made over the next week, and as a result, kills any momentum McCain could have been hoping to build in the short term.

Secondly, there are only two weeks left in this race. Media attention is at a premium right now, and the way Powell endorsed Obama effectively focusses positive media attention on Obama and places negative media attention on McCain, not just neutral attention. Powell didn't just endorse Obama... he also criticized McCain and the campaign he's run. This is a huge story and it diminishes the number of days McCain has left to get his message out through the media since the media is now preoccupied with another story.

Third, I believe there are voters who haven't completely made up their minds yet. There are some who like Obama and are leaning towards voting for him, but also like McCain and could easily change their minds. Powell's endorsement may help to solidify that support among many of those voters in Obama's favor. Powell basically vouched for him, so many of those who might have been shaky may not be as shaky subsequently.

I don't think anyone is saying that Limbaugh and McCain are friends, but I don't think there's any question that Limbaugh supports McCain over Obama, however magrinally.

I also don't think there's any question that Limbaugh's insinuation....... scratch that, outright accusal that Powell endorsed Obama because of race is detestable. I just wish conservatives would come out and call Limbaugh on this. This is the kind of thing that's killing the Republican party in the minds of voters.

And when has Rush Limbaugh ever been on the side of McCain?

Incidentally, I think Sarah Palin is a prime example of how non-supporters can coalesce behind, or at the very least, tolerate a candidate that belongs to their party. Prior to Sarah Palin becoming the republican VP nominee, conservative pundits such as Joe Scarborough and Pat Buchanan summarily dismissed her as a possible VP, saying that she wasn't ready to be VP and lacked the requisite knowlegde base. Now they can't help but praise her.

And who can forget this tidbit with Karl Rove...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMH0PoRybAI...feature=related

There are many Democrats who have done the same thing... They blasted Obama in the primaries, but they are now magically his biggest supporters in the general.

I'm voting for McCain because half of Reaganomics is true:

If you raise taxes on the rich CEO, you do lead to short term stunts in economic growth (CEO hedges against losing profits so they lower incomes of the small guy, reduce jobs etc). That is the last thing we need right now. Long term, it is better for us, but short term, it shoots us in the foot when we are already hopping on only one.

Somehow, we're supposed to believe that increasing the personal taxes of the CEO's of companies like AIG and Lehman Brothers who are pulling in millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars, will stunt the economy because they will limit hiring and/or limit the incomes of the small guy to recoup those wages. Isn't this also an argument against closing the tax loopholes that many of these same CEOs take advantage of? Closing those tax loopholes would amount to a tax increase on many people. Should we be against closing tax loopholes as well?

I think the notion that increasing the personal taxes on the rich will hurt the economy is overblown. If a CEO limits hiring because of personal wages, it's very likely he will hurt the productivity of his company, and can ultimately hurt his company in the end. On the other hand, giving average Americans more purchasing power can strengthen the ecomony by allowing them to infuse money in these very same companies from the consumer side, bolstering confidence in the economy.