JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Anyone Watching The Presidential Debate?

bigted

Also, I believe Kasparov would better understand his country than we could ever as U.S. citizens.

History doesn't lie.

But oppressive regimes do. Russia's oppressive history includes the strongmen of which you speak. Their power isn't a representation of the people in that country, rather a representation of the corrupt hording power from the people.

Not all of them were oppressive or corrupt. Many of them were loved by the people and still are.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all of them were oppressive or corrupt. Many of them were loved by the people and still are.

And that comes right back around to the root of what Kasparov questioned...How do you know? How can you say people in a historically oppressed police state ever honestly supported the leaders? Polls won't tell you. I mean look at U.S. sentiment some 5 years ago towards Putin: the majority of our Congress and of course our President took him as an 'ok' guy who has finally 'saw the light.' What this tells us is that international thought is also fickle. The most bare understanding of internal sentiment of the people in Russia is through the opposition party. It's the case in Zimbabwe, and almost any other turmoil filled place.

Edited by Bob

And that comes right back around to the root of what Kasparov questioned...How do you know? How can you say people in a historically oppressed police state ever honestly supported the leaders? Polls won't tell you. I mean look at U.S. sentiment some 5 years ago towards Putin: the majority of our Congress and of course our President took him as an 'ok' guy who has finally 'saw the light.' What this tells us is that international thought is also fickle. The most bare understanding of internal sentiment of the people in Russia is through the opposition party. It's the case in Zimbabwe, and almost any other turmoil filled place.

Oh come on, are you trying to say that Peter The Great and Catherine The Great aren't beloved figures in Russian history? Please. :shakehead:

Oh come on, are you trying to say that Peter The Great and Catherine The Great aren't beloved figures in Russian history? Please. :shakehead:

What about what Catherine did to Radishchev?

Or her conveinently not doing anything regarding her husband's murderers?

Or the fact she was ignorant to all the problems around her in the highest structures of that government?

What about what Catherine did to Radishchev?

Or her conveinently not doing anything regarding her husband's murderers?

Or the fact she was ignorant to all the problems around her in the highest structures of that government?

I never said that she was a saint, but she was no more corrupt or oppressive than the other European monarchs of her time, and she was beloved by the Russian people. Still is.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.7858...g-second-debate

McCain Calls Obama "that one" During Second Debate

October 8th, 2008 | Author: Anthony Springer JrAfter a presidential debate with its share of awkward moments, early network polls suggest Democratic nominee, Barack Obama, came away victorious over his GOP rival, John McCain, in last night's town hall formatted debate.

A focus group by NBC had the Illinois senator winning 60-40. CBS had Obama winning 39-27 (35 percent said it was a tie). Even the conservative leaning Fox News had Obama with a slight edge on McCain.

In what may have been a potential deathblow for the McCain campaign, one awkward moment came when the Arizona senator did not address Obama by name when answering a question about energy.

"I know you grow a little weary of this back and forth," McCain said addressing the audience when talking about a bill on energy. "You know who voted for it?" he asked rhetorically. "That one," he said of Obama while jabbing his finger in Obama's direction.

The move stoked allegations of race baiting by Obama supporters on a day when McCain-Palin rallies became increasingly more hostile to Obama.

When GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin mentioned Obama's association with former domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, she drew a series of boos from the crowd as well as one disturbing retort.

"Kill him!" one man responded, presumably talking about Obama.

"I am just so fearful that this is not a man who sees America the way you and I see America, as the greatest force for good in the world. I'm afraid this is someone who sees America as 'imperfect enough' to work with a former domestic terrorist who had targeted his own country," Palin added.

The final presidential debate is slated for October 15 at Hofstra.