JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

McCain Chooses Palin As Running Mate

bigted

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we see that on either side of the spectrum, 'politics' is a nasty game, where neither side is hollier than thou. You got one side trying to say terrorist fist jab and another trying to tie down the VP to some birth scandal.

This is why we have such low turnout: people get so overwhelmed by illegitimate news.

Well, idk if you're talking about this specific instance when you say illegitimate news, but I think this is making headlines for the simple fact that (from my understanding) this woman is against abortion, against sex education, against birth control and for abstaining from sex. Granted you can't control what your kids do, but here she is with a 17 y/o daughter who has to get married b/c she's pregnant, I feel bad for the girl to be honest. The irony is laughable though the situation is not, personally I find it all kinda hypocritical but I do love how they managed to throw Obama's name into the article (sarcasm). But I def. agree that politics is a nasty game.

While I don't think that it's a bad thing that her daughter is pregnant, accidents happen, etc... My sister was pregnant at the same age. I do however find this part pretty rude:

..an announcement campaign aides said was aimed at rebutting Internet rumors that Palin's youngest son, born in April, was actually her daughter's.

Why would you put your daughters business out there like that to kill a rumor? I would not want my parents putting my business in the world to help their careers.

While I don't think that it's a bad thing that her daughter is pregnant, accidents happen, etc... My sister was pregnant at the same age. I do however find this part pretty rude:

..an announcement campaign aides said was aimed at rebutting Internet rumors that Palin's youngest son, born in April, was actually her daughter's.

Why would you put your daughters business out there like that to kill a rumor? I would not want my parents putting my business in the world to help their careers.

This whole thing just gets wierder and wierder... my goodness.. I'm with Schnazz on this... They put their daughter's business in the streets for political purposes... That's crazy... I'm just waiting for MSNBC or CNN to do a segment with a doctor about how wise it would be to fly from Texas to Alaska under the condition Palin was.

• Admin

I think Mccain rushed his choice for VP.. he wanted lieberman but conservatives wouldnt let him because of his position on abortion. The mccain campaign then didn't properly vet palin.

Bob why not vote for someone on just one issue?

Also I still think banning or making abortion illegal does not solve the root cause of the problem...

I think Mccain rushed his choice for VP.. he wanted lieberman but conservatives wouldnt let him because of his position on abortion. The mccain campaign then didn't properly vet palin.

Also I still think banning or making abortion illegal does not solve the root cause of the problem...

Oh it doesn't solve the root of the problem, no question. The idea though is that one Supreme Court judge will be up in the next 4 to 8 years. McCain and Obama both have opposite litmus tests for judges...and the litmus test is over abortion. And if a pro-life judge gets on the bench, the majority is on the pro-life side. If the opposite occurs, we will probably have missed our last shot to do anything to the roe v wade decision.

I look at abortion as the ending of a life. So, I see 1.3 million abortions a year equalling 1.3 million killings.

In the sense that I consider every abortion ending a life, 1/3 of my generation has died as a result of abortion in the last 30 years.

So for me, it's genocide. And I can't condone that. To me, it's like the MEGA issue...one that John Locke, the original Hippocratic Oath (the one the doctors take), and many others affirmed was at the heart of why our government governs...to protect the most innocent and basic of freedoms: life.

I never thought I'd be a one-issue voter. And to some degrees I'm not...because if say, Ron Paul or Mitt Romney got the vote, I think their terrible records would leave me in a better conscious to vote for a pro-choice candidate.

Plus, my faith is straightforward on this one: To vote for a pro-choice candidate over a pro-life candidate, the pro-life candidate must be more overwhelmingly negative for the ideals of life even if 'pro-life' in name.

Edited by Bob

In any case, I won't mind it when it's November 5th and we get a break from the politics.

Oh man, this political season has been incredible, so fascinating and historic! This election is going to be studied for decades to come, I'm loving every minute of it! I've already planned a vacation day for November 5th, I plan on being up late following it all and hopefully celebrating along with it till the break of dawn. :)

Oh it doesn't solve the root of the problem, no question. The idea though is that one Supreme Court judge will be up in the next 4 to 8 years. McCain and Obama both have opposite litmus tests for judges...and the litmus test is over abortion. And if a pro-life judge gets on the bench, the majority is on the pro-life side. If the opposite occurs, we will probably have missed our last shot to do anything to the roe v wade decision.

Bob, I don't support abortion either, but I have to disagree with the notion that there is only one litmus test for Supreme Court Judges on both sides. Over the last several years, our civil liberties here in the United States have been severely eroded. People can now have their phones tapped and the conversations recorded without their knowledge and without the acquisition of a warrant by those listening in. This is in direct opposition to the 4th Ammendment. To make matters worse, the government has conspired to make it impossible for people to sue phone companies that, in allowing these wiretappings without warrants, have violated the terms of privacy of your agreement with them. Certain provisions of the Patriot Act have made it possible to detain US citizens under suspicion without properly charging them with crimes.

The Supreme Court has allowed the Executive Branch to grow its powers, giving the President and Vice President unprecedented powers and causing an imbalance in the balance of powers that the three branches of govenment are supposed to provide. In the last 8 years, our Executive Branch has scoffed at congress while abusing its powers (Valerie Plame, political firings of lawyers, withholding of documents and testimony concerning our entrance into Iraq).

The Republicans have tried to make the Supreme Court simply about abortion and gay marriage, but there are a number of issues that will come into play.

Also, for some reason, people think that the president only chooses Supreme Court Judges. In fact, he appoints many judges to lower courts.

One more thing... Supreme Court nominations have to be approved by the senate. The senate will be largely Democratic in the coming years. If we are nominating someone only for their Supreme Court nominations, and their nominations don't get through, we're in trouble.