JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How the beat goes on Appreciation thread!

VIsqo

It has been a while since someone did one of this song appreciation threads that used to be so popular in this forum. Well, I was checking out my Born to Reign cd, which is actually one of the ones I like less from him. Last night however, was the first time I put some attention to the cd for real, and BAAM! I got surprised with this song that at first sounded so simple, and yet has so much more meaning than most of the songs playing nowadays.

The song starts with Will sounding a bit less like himself and more like Snoop or other rapper when he says:

"It's the bizzi. wizza, jizzi, Wizzil

Bizon, wizzay, Wizzat, fizzil.

Back again but with a couple of friends

Thought my reign would end, well now I'm rubbin it in"

Tra Knox actually helped in this song (for a change) and made an acceptable chorus with Will doing the scratching Dj sound he likes to do while beat boxing.

Get us all nostalgic when he talks about the difference from movies and music for him, and how he used to hit the studio every year or so:

"A hip hop superhero, a widow, cape or a suit

Hit the studio every year or so, and escape with the loot"

"You seen me with Denzel and Russ Crowe

But yo the movies just a chick on the side I'm in love with the flow

Time off to be an Oscar nominee now

Back to the M-I-C to MC now"

And of course one of the best lines Ive seen in his songs when he finishes the verse in Ali's voice:

"And at the club, hands clappin' toes tappin'

Sucka, I'm the greatest thing ever happen to rappin'"

So if u havent heard it before, I recomend you to do it now, If you have, then do it again, and really listen to it, and maybe you will get to like it as much as I do. If we cant get anymore real rap and cool songs today, then lets start lookin back for those songs that escaped our sights sometime ago..

Here is a youtube link with the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efa0joexuKk

And here are the lyrics:

http://ohhla.com/anonymous/frprince/born_to/beatgoes.jfr.txt

Check out "Maybe" from the same album. i think is pretty good too, even being romantic.

SO, What do you think about "THIS IS HOW THE BEAT GOES ON" ?

Edited by VIsqo

Definitely one of my faves of BTR...I like the whole concept and flow of it. But it doesn't come close to some Will's best work...he has too much other classic material.

I know he does, just not in that cd..

Your right, Will doesn't have any classic material on BTR in my opinion. But just because he doesn't have any classic material on BTR, doesn't mean How the beat goes on is one of Will's best songs.

How the beat doesn't even compare to Summertime, I'm Lookin For the One, So Fresh, The Rain, No More, Twinkle Twinkle, I'm All That, Hes the DJ, Ain't No Place Like Home, Brand New Funk, Here We Go Again, Girls Ain't Nothin But Trouble, Parents Just Don't Understand, Lost & Found, Tell Me Why, etc. etc.

Edited by bart5

Yes Will got too many classic songs better than "How The Beat Goes" but it's definately one of the better tracks off of "Born To Reign", the titled track and "Block Party" are other dope cuts on there

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while since someone did one of this song appreciation threads that used to be so popular in this forum. Well, I was checking out my Born to Reign cd, which is actually one of the ones I like less from him. Last night however, was the first time I put some attention to the cd for real, and BAAM! I got surprised with this song that at first sounded so simple, and yet has so much more meaning than most of the songs playing nowadays.

The song starts with Will sounding a bit less like himself and more like Snoop or other rapper when he says:

"It's the bizzi. wizza, jizzi, Wizzil

Bizon, wizzay, Wizzat, fizzil.

Back again but with a couple of friends

Thought my reign would end, well now I'm rubbin it in"

Tra Knox actually helped in this song (for a change) and made an acceptable chorus with Will doing the scratching Dj sound he likes to do while beat boxing.

Get us all nostalgic when he talks about the difference from movies and music for him, and how he used to hit the studio every year or so:

"A hip hop superhero, a widow, cape or a suit

Hit the studio every year or so, and escape with the loot"

"You seen me with Denzel and Russ Crowe

But yo the movies just a chick on the side I'm in love with the flow

Time off to be an Oscar nominee now

Back to the M-I-C to MC now"

And of course one of the best lines Ive seen in his songs when he finishes the verse in Ali's voice:

"And at the club, hands clappin' toes tappin'

Sucka, I'm the greatest thing ever happen to rappin'"

So if u havent heard it before, I recomend you to do it now, If you have, then do it again, and really listen to it, and maybe you will get to like it as much as I do. If we cant get anymore real rap and cool songs today, then lets start lookin back for those songs that escaped our sights sometime ago..

Here is a youtube link with the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efa0joexuKk

And here are the lyrics:

http://ohhla.com/anonymous/frprince/born_to/beatgoes.jfr.txt

Check out "Maybe" from the same album. i think is pretty good too, even being romantic.

SO, What do you think about "THIS IS HOW THE BEAT GOES ON" ?

Man, I'm glad ur writing all this!

Because this song has always been my favorite on this album!

When I first bought Born To Reign while I was doing vacation in turkey How Da Beat Goes On was my favorite song right away.

I loved this track and I'm still lovin it and enjoyin it the most from this album.