JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith Offered Superman Role Before Hancock!

Ale

Will reveals that he was asked to play the last son of Krypton prior to Hancock, but was quick to turn it down because he didn't think people would go for a race-revamped Superman.

"The last Superman I got offered, the script came, and I was like, 'There is no way I'm playing Superman!' Because I had already done Jim West (Wild Wild West) and you can't be messing up white peoples' heroes in Hollywood," he recalled.

Laughing, the king of the 4th of July weekend added, “You mess up white people’s heroes in Hollywood, you’ll never work in this town again!”

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/4791.asp

superwillse4.jpg

He's right tho. Superman nerds (even casual fans) would have gone crazy. They would have blamed Superman Returns being boring on Will and not on the slow love story (sorry, AJ). They only asked him because he's a box office draw. Pretty short-sighted and I'm sure they didn't think about the backlash. He'd have a hard time playing such a straight-faced role too. I don't know if Superman said one funny thing in Returns.

God Blessa!

naa.. im really glad that Will cchose to do Hancock over Superman. Superman would have had to be 'serious' and Hancock was laid back, totally hillarous with the greatest storyline.. I absolutely loved it, Will's role and everything. Will really is a smart man .. and proves it too, with how he conducts business choices etc..

and a bout Superman. just look at him in that pic. His ears. He could fly away without the cape. LOL just kidding. I love my baby Will, but even looking at that pic, ... Hes not meant for superman roles... Hancock was on point and appealing to a wider variety of people. trust that. When it was over, it got a standing ovation....right here in Burbank California, movie capitol of the world @ 12 midnight... audience PACKED on opening nyte..

gotta love...

:)

xo,

cookie

I know many Superman fans (including me) that would be offended if Will played the role.

Christopher Reeve, you'll always be the one and only SUPERMAN! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

R.I.P. Chris

Edited by Ale

Let me be incredibly close-minded right now...Superman has 2 have white skin, blue eyes, and black hair...ha ha. Any other race, any other hair color, any other eye color just won't work. Unless u wanna bastardize the whole thing which would have fans like me unhappy. I liked Superman Returns alot. I think Brandon Roth did a great job. I think the fact that his voice and looks were very much like Christopher Reeve's were a big part of making that movie work. The fact that he looked like the character AND the actor who is best known for playing the character was a great combination. Becuz i didn't watch the Wild Wild West TV show, i didn't care about the 'Prince in that character. I'm not sure if i would have if i did. I am one of those people who actually like the WWW movie. Some characters are open for change and some are just locked in2 their foundation. Superman has been the same way since the 1930's. It's dangerous 2 mess with that. Me not wanting FP playing Superman isn't really about race, it's about EVERYTHING. Even tho' everyone other than me on the planet hated Catwoman, i thought it was cool that Halle Barry played the character and did it well. Catwoman is one of those characters who has changed 100 times since her orgin. Which makes the casting more open.

I still think FP would make the perfect John Stewart Green Lantern if they ever did a Green Lantern Corps movie. If the Justice League movie that has been put on hold featured grown established actors like Brandon Roth and Christian Bale, i think he would have been perfect for that kind of casting. But since they were doing a younger, less established cast, i don't think he would fit in perfectly 4 that roll. Martian Manhunter would be another hero i could see him play. If they did a Titans movie, i think he'd make an awesome Cyborg. The Hancock idea is okay i guess...but i'd like 2 see him play an established big name superhero at some point.