JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jill Scott Album Review

[b]Jill Scott, “Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2”[/b]

On “Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2,” neo-soul chanteuse Jill Scott picks up where her acclaimed 2000 debut, “Who is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1,” left off.

“Warm Up” opens with the Native American chant from the latter disc’s “He Loves Me (Lyzel in E Flat),” Scott’s rhapsodic ode to her then boyfriend and now husband. From there, the Philadelphia native — whose oft-operatic vocals strengthened during her three-year absence — continues to weave poetic tales of toe-curling romance (“Bedda At Home”), childhood nostalgia (“Family Reunion”), and community pride (“My Petition”).

She also offers another batch of affirmative songs that express what many women feel but can’t verbalize. The bass-heavy “I’m Not Afraid” is girl power at its finest; the piano-anchored “Cross My Mind” reminisces in naughty detail about an old flame; and the string-accented “The Fact Is (I Need You)” confesses that even the strongest sister enjoys the comfort of a man.

Scott doesn’t evoke pathos like her peer Erykah Badu (she’s the Ella to Badu’s Billie). But her organic sound — crafted in part by Jeff Townes (also known as DJ Jazzy Jeff) — is still compelling. True, it’s not as awe-inspiring as on “Who is Jill Scott?” Perhaps that’s because she’s already answered the question. Scott’s the “Golden” optimist still sweet on our minds like block parties and penny candy, and her mission is to uplift.

On the harmony-laden “I Keep,” the sage urges us to “keep on laughing, living, and loving.” In these troubled times, that hopeful message is very necessary.
—Tracy E. Hopkins

I've only heard the 1st half of each song on the album and i'm totally in love with it. I'm so happy with this album. Jill's voice is flawless and her spoken word is right on point and making her stand out from the rest of those female artists. Anyone who is a fan of Soul, R-N-B, and grown-folks Hip-Hop needs 2 get this album. She balanced it nicely with some trax by the new ATOJ team, the former cats that made her 1st album incredible and other Philly soul legends like Larry Gold and James Poyser. Just hearing the music moves u. There only an album or 2 that come out a year that make me feel this good.

Jazzy Jeff didn't produce or mix any of the album, however, he dose serve as executive producer again. Also, it looks like Pete Kuzma has left ATOJ. He did a decent bit of work on the album but there's no ATOJ affiliation. Ant Bell and P-Nutt are the ATOJ cats representing on the album, Keith, Darren, Andre, Carvin, Vidal, and Ivan rep the old crew...and like i mentioned earlier, Larry Gold and James Poyser, and Pete Kuzma are there 2...oh yeah, and Raphael Saadiq is on there adding new flava. So she has a solid team baking her musically.

Don't sleep on this album if this music is right up your ally. Also, go get it at Circuit City this week. It's on sale for $11.99 and if u get it b4 they run out, u'll get a bonus 1-track CD single featuring the Smitty Remix of "Golden" which is a club mix...a lil' bit like a rawwer, faster "In Time" of "The Magnificent." U may have 2 ask the cashier tho' cuz i had 2 say something 2 get it for free.