JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will puts music on hold

• Admin

24 June 2008

Will Smith has said he'll be putting his music career on the back burner for a few years while he focuses on acting.

Smith's claim to fame is his starring role in early 90s sitcom 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air', and his subsequent rap music hits like 'Boom, Shake the Room' with DJ Jazzy Jeff and himself under the 'Fresh Prince' moniker.

"I'm not really doing much with music right now," Smith told our LA correspondent. "I feel like the next four to five years as an actor are going to be just fantastic, creative and innovative years for me. I just don't want to break my focus. I think I'm a much better actor than I am a musician so I feel like in order to achieve that level I have to stay focused."

Meanwhile Will has said he'd like to star in a Bollywood film! He's apparently been making a few deals in India. "We've got some Bolly-Will movies going on!" he said.

Will's latest film, 'Hancock', sees him playing a seriously flawed super hero with a liking for alcohol.

"I wanted to push the envelope and do things that break images that people have of me. I'm just trying to shake it up," Will told us.

'Hancock', which also stars Charlize Theron, hits cinemas on July 3.

source:take 40

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get him lately.First he gives positive hints at people, says he wants to do it, next minute he doesn't want to do it. It's not like he does 3-4 movies a year, he just does 2 a year. And lately he's finished Seven Pounds and he's done with Hancock and he doesn't have a project lined up yet, so he has a couple months, even after that if something comes up he'll do it in 3 months, that still leaves him with a lot of time. Will is immensely talented, he's the only one who can do it all if he wants, equally great. I mean music isn't gonna be something he'll be able to perform at 70 ya know, he can still act with the best of them at 50+, actors are like wine, get better with age. But you can't say the same for musicians. Lost&Found was that chance, but they blew a great album with horrible marketing and again picked the wrong songs to release (especially party starter, had they released TMW the album would've skyrocketed). I'd say Will is at his peak, now is the time. He should take a big rest go on a long vacation chill max relax and write some stuff while he's on vacation. Then get back do your movie if there is one and then take some time off to focus on your music without interfering with the movies (that's very possible).

When you look at Wills' past albums, they were pretty good (especially Willenium and L&F) but he was never able to present the best of them mainly because of the producers wanting to release more commercial stuff. So in a sense he didn't have total control over his music, which is really horrible because music is personal. If Will is going to do another album and release it under a music company that doesn't favor real music, that just wants to release a couple commercial stuff to make some money, I would prefer if he didn't make one. Cause not only would it tarnish Wills musical talent it would also force people to view him as a commercial rapper. When Will put up Willenium they released Will2k, after that it was Freakin it which where both great great tracks. But people assumed it was a commercial album. They had no idea about Potnas, Rain or Afro Angel....now those were some amazing tracks, but unfortunately the majority doesn't know about. Same with L&F, Switch and Partystarter, but that wasn't the albums strongest songs, most of them didn't know about the real heavyweight tracks of that album, TMW, L&F...real hiphop...but unfortunately it never got the chance to be released. That's the one thing I regret, he never got the chance to release the songs he liked the most, songs that represent real hip hop.

Will is doing 2 movies a year, that's what, almost 40 million a movie ? I don't believe it's 20, he's probably getting a lot of %'s of the movie. IMO he should be getting 100 a movie :) Cause no matter how bad his movies, people watch it because of him. To the point, Will makes almost 100 million a year from movies alone....how much would it cost to make an album, be your own producer, pick a distribution company that makes and ships your albums to the stores, and just release your own songs, make your own music videos...how much would that cost ? I really wouldn't know. Though I doubt it would cost more than 20 Million. He could assemble his own dream team, he has the money and power to do so. He could team up with Jazzy, he could also add a couple of other great artists for collabs and make an album where he has 100% total control over. That would be a victory for hip hop, that could even turn the music industry around for the good. Sure it'll cost a lot, but it's not like it's going to sell 100 albums, it'll sell at least 1 million. And that's what....10 million dollars at least ? Not to mention about all the other stuff like sponsorships etc. He probably won't make a profit (unless he sells 2 million and that's possible) but he also won't lose that much money. Imagine the quality we'd be getting, hip hop at its finest. That would really be a huge kick to the music industry and all the things that's wrong with hip hop right now.

Wouldn't that be amazing ? I can dream on about that one I suppose.

Next time I see Will this will be my only question, I could care less about a picture, autograph or whatever,

I just want to make that request :)

Edited by Typhoon20

Guest Guest_Jin_*

I've told you before..Lost & Found is definately his last music album...Maybe he will release some songs on soundtracks and perform at movie premieres and thats it! What statement really shocks me is this statement:

I think I'm a much better actor than I am a musician so I feel like in order to achieve that level I have to stay focused."

Will was never in his career controversial like Ice Cube or had skillz like Rakim, but I always respected that he kept it real and his way of rapping (no cursing, comedy, storytelling, family friendly). But saying in public that he himself thinks that he is a better rapper than actor is straight dumb! He completely degrades his music career (30 Million Albums sold worldwide, Awards (Grammy, AMA, VMA), Classic Albums/Songs, a music career which lasted for 20 years...etc.!

I think that Will is only saying he's a better actor than rapper just because his acting career is more popular with the general public right now. If his music career was more popular than his acting career and he was selling platinum albums right now he'd probably say that his he's a better rapper than actor

If Will does wanna focus on his acting career for the next 4-5 years i only hope that he focuses on making good movies and not be so hell bent on winning oscars

Edited by analogue

• Admin

"I feel like the next four to five years as an actor are going to be just fantastic, creative and innovative years for me. I just don't want to break my focus. I think I'm a much better actor than I am a musician so I feel like in order to achieve that level I have to stay focused."

That is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard from Will's mouth.. :soapbox: :ohdear:

"I feel like the next four to five years as an actor are going to be just fantastic, creative and innovative years for me. I just don't want to break my focus. I think I'm a much better actor than I am a musician so I feel like in order to achieve that level I have to stay focused."

That is the biggest load of bull**** I've ever heard from Will's mouth.. :soapbox: :ohdear:

When I hear **** like that, it continues to push me more and more to just giving up on him. Hes such full of **** it seems now. Okay Will have fun acting, dont come back when your 45 years old struggling to make a Gold album

Yeah, i love Will and all but he's just talking out of his ass here

Im really at the point where I have zero hope and faith left. Its just pointless now im starting to believe L+F was a load of crap too. "Theres a rapper inside of me that was lost to the actor.." and I guarentee you in like 10 years he will realize that. Will, your going to be 40, you mainstream rapper appeal is starting to diminish the older you get. Bang out some albums while you can.

ehh..everyday I'm disappointed when I log on this site : (

It really doesen't bother me when Will says that he's not gonna be doing much music anymore cause he usually ends up doing something with music anyway. Evan if it's just a few live shows here and there, but when he makes comments like ''I think i'm a better actor than rapper'' i just wanna slap him

Edited by analogue