JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HISTORY! BARACK OBAMA WINS DEM. NOMINATION!

060308_thisisourmoment.jpg

ST. PAUL, Minn.---- Barack Obama claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night in a long-time-coming victory speech that minced no words about his opponent in the fall campaign, Republican John McCain.

In prepared remarks, Obama challenged McCain's claims of independence, noting he voted with President Bush 95 percent of the time last year.

''There are many words to describe John McCain's attempt to pass off his embrace of George Bush's policies as bipartisan and new,'' Obama said. ''But change is not one of them.''

The Illinois senator also reached out to Hillary Rodham Clinton, his defeated rival, calling her ''a leader who inspires millions of Americans.''

''Our party and our country are better off because of her, and I am a better candidate for having had the honor to compete with Hillary Rodham Clinton,'' Obama was to say on the night of the final Democratic contests in South Dakota and Montana and after he earned enough delegates to win the nomination.

Reuniting a party divided by the marathon, 17-month battle between the two historic candidates -- a woman and a black man -- will be a top challenge for the Illinois senator moving into a general election race against Arizona Sen. McCain.

''After fifty-four, hard-fought contests, our primary season has finally come to an end,'' Obama said, recalling the day in February 2007 when he announced his candidacy at the Illinois Capitol and the millions who have voted since then.

''Tonight, I can stand before you and say that I will be the Democratic nominee for president of the United States,'' he said.

Obama planned to deliver the speech from Minnesota's Xcel Energy Center, the arena where McCain plans to accept his party's presidential nomination at the Republican National Convention in September.

Congratz 2 him. I usually lean Republican. In the beginning i was actually really supporting Obama. Now, i can't say i support anyone that much. I'm also gotta say that i'm not really following things at all anymore cuz nobody stands out 2 me 2 much anymore.

:wickedwisdom: Just saw it on the news! Congratz 2 Obama!!! :2thumbs:

Edited by Angel Amor

Props to Obama :thumbsup:

Woot indeed! This is an outstanding and historic day! If anyone hasn't seen any of Obama's speeches, I highly recommend watching one or twelve of them. This man is amazing and has every potential to be the best president of any of our lifetimes.

Words Matter: youtube link

Much like Eric B & Rakim, Obama can move the crowd: youtube link

The Race Speech: youtube link

A most excellent song: youtube link

And his stance on issues: his issues website

Obama went to Harvard Law School and was a community organizer in Chicago. He was raised all over the globe being exposed to different ways of life, different belief systems and different standards of living. Right now, at this moment, Obama's victory is headline news all over the world, and a lot of that world is hopeful about what may be the beginning of a new America.

Edited by Schnazz

Curious to see how this plays out for Obama.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4111483

I personally will never vote for any politician from Chicago, but dont take this as if Im voting McCain. Illinois politicians are dirty.....

The very last paragraph of the two page article contains a pretty important statement: "There is no mention of Obama in the Rezko indictment."

Yep, but the association itself can be damning about ones character. Chicago politicians are as dirty as they come, and something about Obama doesn't add up.

On that note, the ONLY way Obama wins is if the younger generations get out and vote IMO. To many baby boomers left.

On that note, the ONLY way Obama wins is if the younger generations get out and vote IMO.

I agree with you there. Of course, he turns them out like mad, I think that's his core base. But then again, didn't young people (my gen) win it for Bill Clinton?