JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

HIP-HOP = DISCO

"I think it's pretty evident - and everybody says it - that hip-hop is definitely not as good as it once was. It's sort of like disco was. There was a time when disco was the **** and Steve Rubell had Studio 54. But the minute you heard "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees, that was the telltale sign that disco was over. I think that if hip-hop continues on the path that it seems like it's going down, then it looks like it's not going to hold up." -- Q Tip The A Tribe Called Quest star tells Inteview Magazine rap is destined for the same demise disco suffered, if the latest batch of stars can't reinvent the musical genre in time.

He could just stop beeing a cry baby and release his album.

I don't think hes just complaining, I think he is making a valid point.

But really, I don't see hip hop going anywhere soon. I mean, its alive and well in the underground. There are many great artists out there that hold things down like Common, JJ, J Live, Mos, Kweli, Hi Tek, Roots, Pete Rock, KRS, Little Brother, Nas, Rakim, etc.

Heck, I just watched a interview on youtube of Pete Rock saying things are starting to revert back to the golden age. I don't exactly think things are that good, but things are starting to get better IMO.

Q-Tip isn't a complainer. If he was after money, bling, and pop, he'd be dropping uninspriring verses on all the commercial rappers albums and remixes...he'd be cutting albums on just any label and using Scott Storch, Swizz Beats, and Lil' Jon beats. Q-Tip is one of Hip-Hop's greatest emcees. He's a big part of of a culture and music and used 2 be something 2 be proud of 2 the mainstream. Now mainstream America thinks Rick Ross is an ill emcee?...that Lil' Jon makes good beats? That's discusting. That's a shame. Anyone who loves Hip-Hop, who loves the culture is ashamed with that kinda crap. The charts don't represent Hip-Hop at all. It's just a bunch of ignorant puppets doing what everyone else has already done 100 times for 100 years which is instructed by 50 year old white guys in air conditioned offices at major lables. There's a whole generation of emcees, DJ's, producers, and Hip-Hop heads who get sick when they turn on the radio. That means there is something wrong. Without change, Hip-Hop's mainstream coffin will be buried in a few short years.

Hip-Hop is not big. Only Lupe Fiasco and Common Sense are getting any support. All these other guys are making processed Rap music that has no ties 2 Hip-Hop culture...which is why u can't classify it as Hip-Hop. Albums like Jazzy Jeff's, Rakim's, Pete Rock's are all overlooked by the mainstream. They aren't even TRYING 2 get mainstream success becuz they know how the industry...which is a shame. No disrespect, but anyone who is okay with the mainstream state of Hip-Hop (there not being one) simply doesn't even know what Hip-Hop is. No Hip-Hop head is thinking people like Lil' Wayne are Hip-Hop, making good Hip-Hop music, representing Hip-Hop culture, etc. Nobody.

I refuse 2 think my favorite kind of music (that i'm listening 2 less and less) is dying. That's why i'm gonna keep a hopefully attitude thru' the whole thing and diss these idiot-fools like Jim Jones and educate anyone who's willing 2 listen 2 Hip-Hop is introduce them 2 good music (new or old). And i'm not content with real Hip-Hop being an underground thing...becuz it's harder 2 get those albums and the budget behind them is so limited that it often effects the quality of the music. When u have passion 4 something like that, u are gonna willing go down like a solider even when it looks like that's what'll most likely happen.

Hip-Hop Forever!! JJ+FP Forever!!

Man even most of the Mc's you call real like Lil Wayne. I dont know why, but they do. Lil Brother features him man. Masta Ace is a MIMS Fan. Pete Rock diggs Jim Jones. I mean, you just talking bull homie. For the record: I dont like most Mainstream Hip Hop. But who gives a cra, never liked Kid N Play, Hammer and Vanilla Ice ether. And by the way, most Mc's you usualy diss for beeingh mainstream dont really sell records ether.

Edited by Turntable

Disco Duck LOL Nice. He's not wrong for complaining, he cares about what hip-hop has become.

Q-Tip makes some valid points but I have to disagree with a him a little. Common, Kanye and Lupe(CHI represent!!!!) dropped great albums that were also commercially acceptable. Add in Talib Kweli, Nas, Jazzy Jeff and '07 was probably one of the better years for hip-hop. I am hopeful that hip-hop can turn it around despite the garbage that continues to get put out. And what's happening now is that a lot of this garbage is not selling and sounds like good news to me.

People please... Hip Hop aint going nowhere... Theres a lot of good and bad stuff in it, but I mean, its always been like that, even in its finest hour... Hip Hop is going to live as long as there are true fans out there to support it and good rappers out there to keep it high.

"if you really love me i will come back" - nas

from hip hops voice

i feel like there is going to be an age of bad rap, maybe another 5 years or some extended period of time... and then we will have a golden age when people cant take it any more

Edited by Mike

"if you really love me i will come back" - nas

from hip hops voice

i feel like there is going to be an age of bad rap, maybe another 5 years or some extended period of time... and then we will have a golden age when people cant take it any more

AMEN!