JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Sean Levert Dies At 39

bigted

Sean Levert Dies At 39

written by Janelle Griffith

Monday - March 31, 2008

Sean Levert, brother of the late R&B crooner Gerald Levert, died of unknown causes this weekend.

According to the Chicago Sun Times the son of O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert reportedly collapsed while serving time in the Cuyahoga County Jail. He was sentenced to jail for failing to pay an estimated $80,000 in child support.

The warden at the jail told TMZ Levert was rushed to the hospital late last night (Mar. 30) after suffering a medical emergency. He said Levert died at the hospital and that the jail was unaware of any illnesses he may have been suffering from.

As SOHH previously reported, Sean's brother, Gerald Levert died at the young age of 40 in November of 2006. A coroner ruled that Gerald's death was caused by an accidental combination of prescription narcotics and over-the-counter drugs.

Sean was a member of the 80's trio LeVert along with Gerald and Marc Gordon. The group was best know for the song "Casanova."

Sean also appeared in a string of movies throughout his career, most notably New Jack City in 1991.

Sean LeVert was 39 years old at his time of death. As of press time, the coroner is investigating the cause of his passing.

That's awful. The Levert family has dealt with alot. The sad part is that they are pretty stand up people. I had no idea Sean was in jail for not paying child support. That is the 1st time i've heard anything negative involving the family. Gerald and Sean were keeping the legacy that their father started...and hasn't even retired from yet (the O'Jay's are STILL going). I love Levert. 2 this day they are one of my favorite groups. I have all of their albums except for their 1st which is really rare and goes for LOTS of money when u do find it. I even have Sean's solo album that was over looked.

My prayers go out 2 the family.

Here's a lil' more info from AOL News. What a way 2 go in jail...and in that condition. Sounds like they should have been looking in2 his well being early on. It's ridiculous that he waz thinking about reviving Levert with another singer tho.' I'd love another Levert album, but without Gerald, that simply isn't possible. Without any of them for that matter. It's funny tho', cuz i waz thinking LSG could do another album with Sean in Gerald's place just last week.

--------------------------------

R&B Singer Sean Levert Dies

AP

Posted: 2008-03-31 13:26:24

Filed Under: Star Obituaries, Music News

CLEVELAND (March 31) - Singer Sean Levert, a third of the 1980s R&B trio LeVert and son of lead O'Jays singer Eddie Levert, has died after falling ill while serving a jail term. He was 39.

Photo Gallery

Getty Images Recently Departed Music

Stars of Every Stripe1 of 16 Sean Levert, March 30: Sean Levert, who sang 'Casanova' and was a legacy in the legendary Levert family, died after he collapsed at a Cleveland jail. No cause has been given for his death.

Levert was sent to the Cuyahoga County jail last week for failing to pay child support. He died at Lutheran Hospital in Cleveland late Sunday, less than an hour after he was taken there from the jail, said coroner Frank Miller. An autopsy was planned, he said.

His brother Gerald Levert, who had success as a solo artist after leaving their trio died in 2006 at age 40 of an accidental mix of prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

The Smooth Sounds of Levert

'Casanova'

'(Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind'

The brothers had formed LeVert in the 1980s with childhood friend Marc Gordon. Their hits included and "Baby I'm Ready," "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova."

"Casanova" was nominated for a Grammy in 1988 for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocal. It was also nominated for best R&B song.

At Gerald Levert's funeral service in November 2006, Sean Levert and his father performed "Dance With My Father" and personalized the words for Gerald. The elder Levert's group, the O'Jays, was known for such smash hits as "Back Stabbers" and "Love Train."

Sean Levert found a new third partner last year and was trying to revive LeVert.

Warden Kevin McDonough said Levert had been sick and guards were watching him at the jail's regular cellblock because he had been acting strangely. He declined to be more specific about Levert's medical condition.

Levert suffered from high blood pressure and had been hallucinating in jail, Caesar said. Toxicology reports could take four to six weeks, he said.

Sean Levert had pleaded guilty last week to six counts of nonsupport involving children ages 11, 15 and 17.

awww.. i heard about his death this morning on the Steve Harvey show while taking my son to school, and I was just saddened thinking about what his mother must be going thru to lose 2 sons in less than a year and half apart... Oh my God... i can only imagine the pain in her heart...

Rest In peace...

xo,

cookie

Edited by 3cookies

Here's an article i got from AOL. It annoys me that they said Gerald left Levert. They did 2 albums after Gerald started his solo career and there's even a Levert song on the last album he released while alive. Anyways...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Levert's Family Asks FBI to Probe Death

AP

Posted: 2008-04-02 16:15:21

CLEVELAND (AP) - The family of R&B singer Sean Levert wants the FBI to look into his death after a jail medical emergency. His cousin, Michael Gibson, said Levert never had any outburst such as the type described by Kevin McDonough, warden at the Cuyahoga County jail.

The 39-year-old Levert died Sunday night at a hospital after he was taken from the county jail where he was serving a one year and 10 months sentence for failure to pay $89,025 in child support.

McDonough said Levert was pounding on his cell door so guards strapped him in a restraint chair; Levert's breathing became shallow and he was taken to Lutheran Hospital, where he died less than an hour later.

An autopsy did not determine the cause of death. Toxicology tests are expected to take weeks.

FBI spokesman Scott Wilson says agents would meet with Levert's family.

Sean and his brother Gerald Levert, who died in 2006 at age 40 of an accidental mix of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, formed LeVert in the 1980s with childhood friend Marc Gordon. Their hits included "Baby I'm Ready," "(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind" and "Casanova," which was nominated for a Grammy in 1988 for best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocal. It was also nominated for best R&B song.

Gerald Levert left the group to start a solo career.

Those A$$h%les!! From the sounds of it, he may have been pounding on his cell door, because he was in some sort of physical stress, and I know officers too well, they didn't take him serious, and were clearly being incompetent in this case. I have seen it far too many tymes for it to be dismissed... i am willing to bet they just didn't want to be bothered, and was teaching him a 'lesson'... I KNOW thats close to fact.. Thats bull $h!T.. they already know the cause of death. The reason its taking so long to determine 'cause' of death is because the FBI agents need time to investigate if the officers had any part in 'causing' death, and to determine if it could have been prevented by the officers making a more responsible effort in responding to him doing whatever necessary to get their attention in the FIRST place. Hell. The man was obviously in distress!!!!

sorry 4 rambling.. im just upset after reading this article.. maybe i read too deep into things,.. but in this case, i doubt it..

dam,

xo,

cookie

Edited by 3cookies

U wrote what i waz thinking. It's kinda funny since i'm just a person who's been a fan of Levert since the early 90's. It's not like i ever met the guys, but when i waz reading the article i waz thinkin' 2 myself "this who thing just doesn't seem right." U know how u follow an entertainer closely for awhile, u feel like u know them? I guess it's all just part of that. It was hard enough to imagin him being in jail...especially since they are positive, clean cut, spiritual family. But overlooking that, the way that was written and the behaviors that have been put in the articles just sound like the red flags were popping up left and right and they were just ignoring them. And this is the story of an entertainer. It makes u wonder about what goes on in prisons and how non-celebs are treated. Sure, they may have done something wrong, and maybe some of them have bad things coming at them, but nobody deserves 2 die...especially becuz some cocky cops just wanna power trip and treat other people like crap.

u have to trust me AJ. that IS WHAT happened. Remember I used to supervise inmates in Atlanta Penitentiary, and thats where Tupacs biological father is/was. you are right,...there are seriously some good 'inmates' and officers are as crooked as a dam 3 dollar bill. Thats why I left. Thats why i also treated them with respect, because those men are somebody' father, SON and somebody's brother or husband and b4 I left.. over 1,000 inmates literally walked up to me when they 'heard' I was rolling out. I served my purpose, but I have seen officers bust into cells beat the hell out of inmates .

Example, there were inmate(s) being rowdy on 'lockdown' (Segregration from population) making all sorts of noise , ... I was training for SRT (Special Reaction Team) only chik.lol... but they started with one inmate. 4 -5 HUGE officers pinned him down, put handcuffs on, so TIGHT he could have bled if he kept being defiant,... pulled him out of his cell, physically threw him out and I had to subdue him forcefully & slam him to the ground. (it was procedure folks) I had to put my knee in the middle of his back, a tight hold behind his neck, and basically whisper to his tail.. "If you don't Shut the fl_lkk up, these officers are going to Kick ur a$$ and put u in the dispensary, so close your dam mouth & save urself from an asswhuppin and just do what the say. Now lay ur a$$ down be quiet & listen to what im telling you.!

lol.. ok im sorry, thats a long example... but I saw too much, and situations just like this, far too many times.. I know this case is a fact...

oh they're going to try and cover it up. No doubt. Watch it surface 'eventually'...

xo,

cookie