JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Dissing Will Smith

Ale

And I'm about two months late to the discussion, but...

Just to flush out the idea of people being judged by what they do for a living... If, for a living, I chose to work for a non-profit that sought to set up educational centers in urban areas, I would hope that reflected positively on me. We can't say that as long as it is about money, it doesn't matter what you do. If what you do has a negative effect on people, on communities, and on a culture, there comes a point where you have to step back and question what you do and whether your "business" is worth the cost.

So you say that The Godfather would also reflect poorly on Francis Ford Coppola?

I reject the premise that gangster rap is a negative effect on society. Society is the bummer. There have been gangster movies since there have been movies. There have been assaults since there have been guns. The first drive by was on a horse. Read some Shakespeare, he wrote more than comedies. Billy The Kid was idealized long before Snoop was having his albums crushed. The Greeks where actually slaughtering and being slaughtered a few millenia before there was a movie about it. And I can't put my finger on it, but I think something bad happened in the late 30's and early 40's.

There's violence in the world, there's violence in the media. Teach the difference between fake violence and real violence, don't get mad that fake violence exists, get mad that the real violence exists. There's a reason why kids used have fun playing "Cowboys and Indians" and there's also a reason why they would get punished if they got into a fight.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

There's violence in the world, there's violence in the media. Teach the difference between fake violence and real violence, don't get mad that fake violence exists, get mad that the real violence exists.

Some good points there :thumbsup: However glorifying violence does not sit well with me. To quote murs "the other day I saw a kid wearing a shirt that said murder and never been to a funeral/is theres something wrong with me that I find that unusual?"

I don't feel like killing people in real life and I don't feel like killing them in video games either. Also I have no desire to hear music about killing other people. Maybe that's just me.

"Gangsta" Rap is dead. Dr. Dre said it himself in 1996. When one of the pioneers of "Gangsta" Rap says it's dead, it's dead. Since 1997, we've only heard party-oriented pop rap, wanna-be thugged out rap, and dirty south rap and a lil' bit of true Hip-Hop. Who has represented "Gangsta" Rap since 1996? 50 Cent? No, he's faked out thug rap. Lil' Wayne...nah...dirty south rap. To me the gangsta era of Hardcore Hip-Hop started with N.W.A. and died with Dr. Dre leaving Deathrow and stating it was dead. Someone could say Snoop reps it...but lets be real. Snoop has grown and his subject matter has shifted. He does an occiasional track in his old formula cuz that's where he came from. Warren G? Well, we throw him in that G-Funk category cuz that's what he calls his style of music, but his subject matter has never been dominated by "gangsta" subject matter. Dr. Dre's music has been inconsistant since he's pretended he never said phrases like "Gangsta Rap is deal"..."it's just entertainment"...and "Gangsta Rap" is wack." Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward 2 his new album and i liked Chronic 2001, but when he tries 2 kick a gangsta styled rhyme, i'm rolling my eyes and only enjoying it for face-value.

• 4 weeks later...

There's violence in the world, there's violence in the media. Teach the difference between fake violence and real violence, don't get mad that fake violence exists, get mad that the real violence exists.

Some good points there :thumbsup: However glorifying violence does not sit well with me. To quote murs "the other day I saw a kid wearing a shirt that said murder and never been to a funeral/is theres something wrong with me that I find that unusual?"

I don't feel like killing people in real life and I don't feel like killing them in video games either. Also I have no desire to hear music about killing other people. Maybe that's just me.

Yes, somethin' like that is very rare to find, nowadays!

Nice to hear that! :thumbsup:

"Gangsta" Rap is dead. Dr. Dre said it himself in 1996. When one of the pioneers of "Gangsta" Rap says it's dead, it's dead.

Yet he did another Ganst Rap record, and put out other Gangsta Rappers. He liked it alive as soon as his pop ish started to flop. Dre is and allways was a sellout. I completly agree with Schnazz. Next to that it's a fact that some of the best records up to date are made by gangsta rappers.

By the way, AJ, what about The Game? WC?

Edited by Turntable