JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Dissing Will Smith

Ale

So-called "gangsta" rappers target FP cuz he is an easy target. The reason he's called the 'Prince is because he has self-control and he has class. He isn't gonna cuss, he isn't gonna talk negative about somebody, he's not gonna lyrically murder somebody in his music. So these jealous idiots attack him because he's an easy target and he isn't gonna give much of a push back 2 them. They're nothing but immature, jealous cowards 2 me.

Dre isn't a gangsta. He doesn't portray the lifestyle he puts in his music. He dumbs down his music and surrounds himself with dumb people. Gangsta rap doesn't really exist anymore. It hasn't for awhile. I quickly died away after the murders of 2Pac and Biggie cuz all of a sudden, it wasn't cool 2 talk about guns and violence. Since then, we went thru' the jiggy era (which some rappers are still in...talking about material things...and sometimes about guns). Then we dipped in2 the dirty south era which we are still in. Not only does this era continue the trend of stupid and fake subject matter, but u can't even understand the words that are being said now. On top of that, the production has gotten to a childish embarassing level.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gangsta Rap is a very big business and millions of people live from gangsta rap, which is why I do not think Will should criticize gangsta rap.

You know the credit shark business makes billions in annual revenue? You know Putin has done very un-democratic things in Russia recently? Even in the face of this, there are many influential people who respond to these 'bad' things and are respected for it. All 3 presidential candidates just lambasted Russia for the recent events. One of them will have to deal with that reality come this time next year. But they said what needed to be said. And any response to them has been laughable. Will did the same. He stood up, in the face of people attacking his credibility, for a less controversial, less 'cool' thing, which is thinking before saying something. And this type of response by Dr. Dre is...laughable.

If Dr. Dre can present facts as to why gangsta rap is just as morally justifiable as clean hip hop, then I'll listen. The fact is though, he has no intent to do so. Gangsta rappers make a case that their world is worth reflecting on. YES, I agree. But reflect with wish to change....aka....Rakim, Nas, KRS-One. Don't reflect to embrace. And guys like 50 cent, who dre whole-heartedly supports, embrace the negativity he lived through. That is gangsta rap and something that has yet to hold weight in debate as to why it is in any way worth the listen of others. Just because it is profitable, doesn't make it a good thing. Just because its your right, doesn't make it the right thing to do.

• Members

gangsta rap hasn't and will never go anywhere i disagree with aj gangsta rap is here to stay and has been around for a while but i agree with the last post dre has never said anything bad about will but everyone attacks him which makes the attackers no better then dre if you ain't got nothin nice to say about someone you should say nothing at all

Gangsta Rap is a very big business and millions of people live from gangsta rap, which is why I do not think Will should criticize gangsta rap. It is like Em said, Will doesn't have to curse to sell, others do. Not everybody can make a movie and earn 20m bucks...

I got your point but I do not think people should be judged by what they do for a living. Will Smith did that and that is what he gets back.

Let me set the record straight. Will was the first to be criticized as a soft and fake rapper by a number of the gangster rappers way back in the 80s. He was mentioned by name and was personally attacked and dismissed for his style of music. Inversely, Will criticized gangster rap in general and addressed why he didn't adopt the style.

I think Will framed the argument perfectly in Lost and Found...

LOST

When you're a slave to the biz

With no care for the cost of what you sayin to kids

FOUND

Is when your lyrics are a test of time

And your mom hear that your spirit is blessed divine

LOST

Is when you rhyme til your throat gets sore

But you don’t even believe what you say no more

FOUND

Is when you bleed heart into the mic

And the pain you sustain it can change a life

LOST

Is when you hide behind the freedom of speech

While sure you’re free to do it

But what it mean to do it

Did you mean to do it

Did you need to do it

Did you take time to think about the seeds you ruined

The key question is what are we saying to children, teens and young adults. Why are we pumping poison into the minds and hearts of our youth simply to make money. I personally find the notion that "it's just business and people are just trying to make money" utterly reprehensible. It's the same asinine justification the tabacco companies used when they argued that cigarettes don't hurt anyone.

It's one thing for a rapper to speak about the experiences and challenges of his environment, but it's another thing entirely to glorify violence, drug use, and misogyny... and that's what Will was addressing when he criticized ganger rap.

Just to flush out the idea of people being judged by what they do for a living... If, for a living, I chose to work for a non-profit that sought to set up educational centers in urban areas, I would hope that reflected positively on me. We can't say that as long as it is about money, it doesn't matter what you do. If what you do has a negative effect on people, on communities, and on a culture, there comes a point where you have to step back and question what you do and whether your "business" is worth the cost.

Edited by MaxFly

• 4 weeks later...

Man, people just can't let things go can they. Dre had his time, but generally is just a grumpy man. hehe Snoops on that track anyway and was quite happy to work with Will some years later.

Yeah it's just like that so it's all just some crap!

Will is the bigger man, everyone knows it, so noone can touch Will! :)

He's just doin' his job and he's doin' it best! :)

That's why he has so many fans all around the world - u can actually say the whole world loves him!

• 3 weeks later...

gangsta rap hasn't and will never go anywhere i disagree with aj gangsta rap is here to stay and has been around for a while but i agree with the last post dre has never said anything bad about will but everyone attacks him which makes the attackers no better then dre if you ain't got nothin nice to say about someone you should say nothing at all

have you ever had a look into the inlay of the NWA greatest hits album? pretty interesting and btw, they are dissing JJFP and YoungMC...

• 2 weeks later...

have you ever had a look into the inlay of the NWA greatest hits album? pretty interesting and btw, they are dissing JJFP and YoungMC...

What does the inlay say?