JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

will smith news, articles and more

mixenmasta.b

[quote=mixenmasta.b,Sep 4 2004, 05:07 PM]JAM MASTER JAY BIOPIC PLANNED

Slain rap star JAM MASTER JAY is to be honoured with a new movie about his life.

The RUN-DMC star's protege FREDRO STARR is looking to cast top black names like QUEEN LATIFAH, DEREK LUKE and WILL SMITH in the film about the DJ, who was fatally shot in his studio in 2002.

Starr says, "It's a good way for me to produce my first movie, and a good way for me to give something back to hip-hop, Jay and his family."

New York police are still on the hunt for the man who shot Jam Master Jay, real name JASON MIZELL.

:dj:[/quote]
Interesting :thumb:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=mixenmasta.b,Sep 4 2004, 05:09 PM]Purchase Using: Amazon.com CD-WOW (US & EU) DVDEmpire.com DVDSoon.com Loaded247.com
Title: I, Robot
Starring: Will Smith
Released: 14th December 2004
SRP: $27.98

Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has set an official release date for the region one release of I, Robot which stars Will Smith alongside Bridget Moynahan, James Cromwell and Bruce Greenwood. The disc will be available to own from the 14th December this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $27.98. I'm afraid that's all we know at the moment, as Fox has yet to issue an official announcement. However, as soon as the final announcement arrives, we'll bring you the full rundown on the disc specs. Stay tuned for that. We've attached an advertisement confirming the official street date below:

:dj:[/quote]
I'll have to pick this up :thumb:

• Members
From Fresh Prince to action hero, Will Smith is a superstar. He's back in another summer blockbluster, I, Robot, - and in this one he drops his wisecracks for his "serious face".
You can catch him chatting to Adam from NR Showbiz about the challenges of making I, Robot on Saturday 7 August.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's set in 2035 - what's great about the future?
What's really cool about the future is that everybody has their own personal robots like today everyone has a cell phone.

You could say 'Hey robot - find Johnny' and your robot would find Johnny's robot and y'all could hook up - but then (adopts deep gravely voice) something goes terribly wrong!

Your character doesn't like robots does he?

Will shows us his 'mean face' - he had to work hard on this for the film!
My character had a bad experience with one of the robots - he hates technology and robots.

He doesn't like the future. He has his old school trainers and leather jacket and a mean face.

It was hard for me to get that mean face - it took a lot of time!

It's a bit more serious than your usual films?

It's a different film for me - you got the car chases and special effects - all the stuff people are used to seeing with Will Smith in July.

But we've also got a really powerful story at the centre of this film - with a hero who has a real problem.

Normally I play happy characters but this dude just doesn't want to be alive - which is a whole different world from me cos I love every second of being alive!

Filming stuff with lots of special effects - is that really, really cool and exciting or a bit hard and quite rubbish?

Will shows us his 'I really love you tennis ball' acting technique.

It's actually quite rubbish! You have to do a really, really emotional scene with a tennis ball.

You know at some point they're gonna put in a person or a robot but when you're doing the scene you're like 'I love you tennis ball!' - 'I ain't never met a tennis ball like you.' It's just hard!

Were you a science fiction kid?

I was actually a science kid - I loved science. I always had dinosaurs around the house. Not real dinosaurs - my family couldn't afford real dinosaurs! But pictures and stuff - I loved science.

Science is where my future was gonna be but as the acting and music and performing began to develop, my love of science blended into a love of science fiction.

You said last year you were going to give up being an action hero in 2006.

It's not like giving it up but your knees tell you you're not gonna be an action hero forever.

They say to you in the morning: 'Listen man, we're not gonna jump over anything today - you need to adjust the scene so you're sitting down talking to these robots!'

It's like your body rejects stuff a little more. I pride myself on running - I look cool running. I don't ever wanna do the old man run - you know you see actors who do one movie too many.

Are you going to do any more music?

Yeah, I've got another single - my first in a few years - coming in five or six weeks and a new album in November/December. I'm stepping back in the ring!

What's better: music or movies?

There's nothing that can compare to music - just being on stage in front of 70,000 people - in that first couple of seconds of the record when the audience recognises the tune.

What do your children think about you saving the world again and again??

My son said: 'Daddy, I love I, Robot but don't save the world no more. I'm six years old - you've saved the world four times already!'

But a lot of black people don't get to save the world in movies so I think it's important that as an African American that I save the world.

• Members
Comedy and Romance
A professional matchmaker's program is threatened by a female journalist who enrolls as a student and plans on publishing an exposé on his fradulent methods.
Release Date: February 11, 2005.
Distributor: Columbia Pictures

Cast and Credits

Starring: Will Smith, Eva Mendes, Michael Rapaport, Ato Essandoh, Amber Valletta
Directed by: Andy Tennant

:dj:

• Members
Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child - Pinocchio

Category: Family

Summary:
The hip HBO kids series infuses the classic tale of puppet-boy Pinocchio and his loving dad Gepetto with streetwise flavor, with Jiminy Cricket replaced by the "Blues Fairy," and the voices of Will Smith and Chris Rock.

© 1981-1999 Videolog. All rights reserved.

users grade
B-
you grade it!
movie availability
In Theaters

• Members
Mase and P. Diddy at the 2004 VMAs
Photo: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images

We see it every year, the backstage area of the MTV Video Music Awards just brings it out of people. They're free, friendly and ready to explore. It's the only place in the world where you'll see Will Smith chilling with Suge Knight and singing to Queen Latifah, Xzibit admitting he dances in his boxer shorts to the tune of another man's song, Lil Jon making a bid to become an honorary member of the Simpson family with Jessica's big poppa, and Bruce Willis leaning back with P. Diddy.

While Jennifer Lopez kicked things off onstage (see "Outkast, Jay-Z Win Big At VMAs; Usher, No Doubt Land Multiple Moonmen"), hubby Marc Anthony was acting as a one-man Miami welcoming committee, greeting the likes of Good Charlotte and chatting up LL Cool J before heading back to his dressing room. The Reverend Al Sharpton probably could've used Anthony's help to get backstage — seems he misplaced his backstage pass and was left wandering the hallways looking for another way to gain entrance.

Marilyn Manson wasn't in Sharpton's shoes. By the time the VMAs were on the air, the shock-rocker was already cozied up to the backstage bar, surveying the scene with his manager by his side. When he spied Shaquille O'Neal across the room, Manson hurried over to meet the big man.

Go backstage at the VMAs

At the sushi buffet in the backstage lounge, a woman bet Will Smith $1 that he couldn't eat a large chunk of wasabi. After tasting just a dab of the sharp green stuff, Smith backed out. He did manage to pay his respects to some hip-hop royalty, though, serenading Queen Latifah with a loud "Hail to the Queen!" chant as she entered the room.

Lil Jon — royalty of the crunk variety — was holding court by the side of the performance stage. Jon and the East Side Boyz took turns admiring Petey Pablo's pinky pendant while East Sider Big Sam took sips of crunk juice from a small gasoline canister. The crew was joined by Vivica A. Fox, who broke into an impromptu dance and ordered the entire group to "Drop it like it's hot."

(Complete 2004 VMA Winners List.)

Before she took the stage with Kanye West, Chaka Khan was holding court of her own in the VMA green room. Surrounded by a large entourage that combed her hair and dabbed on makeup, the diva fanned herself and sang the chorus of her hit "Through the Fire" out loud. Khan's posse was so large that No Doubt didn't even notice her until they were a few feet away, being hustled to their seats. The bandmembers shot each other startled looks and stared at Khan in awe.

Onstage At The 2004 VMAs

Christina Aguilera did some startling too. As she warmed up her pipes, the power of her vocal exercises caused people standing outside her dressing room to jump. Her performance partner Nelly lounged nearby, trying to decide which afterparties to attend. After they finished their duet, fellow St. Lunatic Murphy Lee congratulated them, yelling, "That sh-- was hot!" And minutes before he bounded through the audience in a giant bubble, the Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne gave Jet hearty congratulations for their Best Rock Video win. Probably still buzzed from the victory, Jet's Chris Cester approached Xzibit and said, "You can pimp my ride anytime!"

"Anytime, man," X-to-the-Z replied. "I dance around in my boxer shorts to your sh-- all the time!"

Newly Mohawked P. Diddy relaxed in the artists lounge after dancing to the Terror Squad's performance of "Lean Back." He was joined at the bar by dance partner and posse-mate Bruce Willis, and Willis congratulated Diddy for persuading him to dance, commenting loudly, "Hey! He got the old guy out there!" Later, in a meeting of moguls, Diddy huddled with fellow hip-hop impresarios Jimmy Henchman, Shakim Compere and Lance "Un" Rivera. Nearby, Jay-Z pressed more flesh than a presidential candidate.

Go behind the scenes at the 2004 VMAs

Odd couple Lil Jon and Joe Simpson (Jessica and Ashlee's dad) hit it off so well that Jon hooked Simpson up with an honorary pimp cup and the two exchanged phone numbers. Another odd pairing, Mandy Moore and Marilyn Manson, strolled down a hallway chatting cordially, and Manson checked his 'do in Moore's compact mirror before giving daps to the seemingly ubiquitous Jon. And while the Beastie Boys did share stage time with Sasquatch, they were hoping for bigger and better things — seems they had wanted to walk the red carpet with a real live alligator, but the city of Miami shot the idea down.

As all 24 members of the Polyphonic Spree assembled to take the stage, lead singer Tim DeLaughter was getting fitted for his harness to aid in his levitation. Underneath DeLaughther's robe? Some red jean shorts and a bulky knee brace. Farnsworth Bentley and Big Boi looked slightly dazed as they wandered amongst the various Spree members in the hallway. And nearby, Boi's Outkast partner, Andre 3000, popped out of a dressing room and began prepping for their performance. Much to the delight of the many ladies in the hallway, he began doing stretches — shirtless.

See who arrived in style

Bentley and his ever-present parasol cornered producer Jazze Pha, revealing his plans for world domination. "I'm done with all this background dancing," Bentley said. "From now on, it's all front-ground dancing!" Nearby, Nick Lachey and Paris Hilton were spotted wandering off somewhere ... probably not what you think, since they were mobbed with handlers.

But Lachey and Hilton weren't the only stars making a break for it. The pilgrimage to party land had begun. Despite the fact that she was in super-high heels, Beyoncé managed to make a quick exit from the ceremony. P. Diddy and Bruce Willis left the event just as they arrived, together. Xzibit took off with the untalented dozen. Nelly — glass of cognac in hand — attempted a hasty exit but was caught at the door by MTV's Sway.

And in the final show-stopping moment of the night, Jay-Z brought the exiting crowd to a standstill as he posed for pictures with fans and shook hands with celebs he hadn't met yet, like Good Charlotte's Benji Madden. And with a farewell wave to screaming fans along the red carpet, Jigga was off into the night.

For everything we've got on VMAs past and present, including news, features, photos and more, check out MTV.com's Video Music Awards area.

—James Montgomery, with reporting by Joe D'Angelo, Abbey Goodman, Robert Mancini and Shaheem Reid

• Members
Unlike his technophobe character in the hit film, Smith is a huge fan of gadgets and when he found he could record a tune from his hotel room, he made the most of the latest technology.

He explains, "There's a music programme, called Reason, that connects to another music program, called ProTools. I have an album coming out for Christmas, and I just recorded my first single from inception, creating the music, laying the vocals, everything in a hotel room.

"I mixed it on my laptop on a plane flying back to Los Angeles and it's just insane to me. I burned a CD so I have everything in my G4 titanium laptop.

"That it's come to that point is just beautiful to me."

• Members
Will sets London alight

Big Willy style ... i, Robot star wows fans
By SIMON ROTHSTEIN

WHAT do you get when you put one of the world's biggest movie and music stars in the middle of London to open his latest smash hit film and play some of his greatest hits?

If the man in question is Will Smith then you end up with 7,500 screaming fans desperate to catch a glimpse of their hero.

And that's not forgetting all the other celebrities – like David Hasselhoff and ex-Atomic Kitten Natasha Hamilton – who crammed inside the Leicester Square Odeon to watch US box office No1 i, Robot.

Will himself was overwhelmed, telling us: "This is very exciting, Leicester Square is a mad house.

"I've never seen anything like this before. I've had a brilliant reaction and I just hope all these people feel the same way after they've seen the movie.

"Will Smith is obviously the man! Thank you."

In the futuristic thriller, Will plays a police officer who is the only person who can see that machines are about to turn on their masters.

But despite the stunning action and clever plotline, the one scene everyone wanted to talk to the former Fresh Prince about featured him in the shower wearing nothing but a smile.

"I was very nervous before that scene," Will revealed. "Because you're always nervous when you're nekkid.

"There's a difference between being naked and being nekkid, and I was nekkid in the movie. So it was difficult for me.

"But my wife Jada thought it was great. Her motto is, 'no woman wants a man that other women don't want'.

"Right now I'm about six weeks out from being able to take my shirt off on camera, but I always like to stay prepared just in case!"

The film is out in the UK on Friday and Will is also set to release an album of brand new songs over here at the end of the year.

And he warmed up for future gigs by teaming up with old pal DJ Jazzy Jeff and treating his fans to a set of songs including classic hits Men In Black and Summertime and new single Switch.

He told us: "I've spoken to Jeff probably three or four times in the past year.

"So tonight was about warming it up a little bit, shaking the rust off and knocking the dust off.

"The next album is a bit like i, Robot - still the same flavour that Will Smith gives you but it's a little bit smarter and more thoughtful."

Click the pictures on the top right of this page to see stunning pictures of some of the celebrities on the i, Robot premiere carpet and find out what they're up to.

• Members
Will And Jada Get 'Romantic' In Public Articles
Stunning actress Jada Pinkett Smith has unveiled the secret to keeping her marriage to Will Smith happy - getting "romantic" in public places....

The Matrix Revolutions star and I, Robot hunk Smith have been married for almost seven years, and Pinkett Smith admits variety has helped spice up their union.

She says, "You have to be willing to move around, you know what I'm saying? To move your romance around - kitchen, closet, park, parked car!"

The screen beauty also likes to sleep naked next to her husband - sometimes.

She adds, "I will either sleep in flannel PJ's with a scarf around my head - and that's the look that Will hates the most - or sometimes I do sleep naked."

credit: KZCD-FM

• Members
By Jeannette Walls
Updated: 4:27 a.m. ET Aug. 10, 2004Don’t be surprised if Will Smith starts referring to himself as I, Politician.

advertisement

The “I, Robot” star startled his fans in Sweden with his strong political views. “He was really jokey and laid-back about most things, until it came to politics, then he became very serious and very emphatic,” says our source there. “It became pretty obvious he doesn’t have a high opinion of President Bush.”

“Of course I could be president if I wanted to,” Smith told the newspaper Aftonbladet, according to our translator. “But being president isn’t the kind of job you’d want to have with the way things are today.”

Smith also said that he has toured the world many times before, and says he’s never seen peoples’ opinions of the U.S. this low. “As luck would have it, every four years, the people decide if the president gets to stay in office,” Smith said. “I believe it’s not going to happen.” Smith revealed that he’s going to meet with Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry once he returns to the U.S. and is probably going to campaign for him. “I can be very involved,” he said.

The actor also said that "I, Robot" has a political message about the current administration. “”The main robot Viki says in the film that ‘for the good of the people, some freedoms and some people’s lives have to be sacrificed,’ ” Smith said. When told that the line sounded like it referred to Bush, Smith laughed and said, “Exactly! It’s so beautiful that you get it and know where that line comes from. It’s a comment about what’s going on right now.”

• Members
WILL SMITH'S FRUIT FIGHT

Rapper and actor WILL SMITH got so carried away during a recent trip to London, he threw peaches around his hotel suite.

The actor stayed in the presidential suite at the city's luxurious Lanesborough Hotel - his chosen place of residence in London - while in Britain promoting his new movie I, ROBOT.

According to staff at the hotel, Smith indulged in a fruity fight while there.

A source says, "Will feels comfortable at the Lanesborough. This time around, he was really letting his hair down. Apparently, one night ended up with peaches being thrown around the room. I believe that the cleaning bill ran to several thousand pounds when he left."

• Members
Latest Buzz
Will's upcoming film, the animated DreamWorks film "Shark Tale," co-starring Robert DeNiro and Angelina Jolie, is due out in November. He is currently filming the romantic comedy, "The Last First Kiss," for a 2005 release and will begin work on "The Untitled Chris Gardner Project" directly following. There's no current news on a future musical release for the actor/rapper, but we're sure that he can throw something together if a "Men in Black 3" is ever accidentally made.

• Members
Will Smith Plans Christmas Return to Music
13 July 2004 (WENN)
Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith is planning a return to the music world with a new album this Christmas. The rapper's last album, Born To Reign, was released in 2002, and now he's back in the studio working on another project after completing work on his eagerly-anticipated movie I, Robot. He tells Teen People, "I'm recording now and looking to put something out around Christmas. Generally what I do with my career is kind of like (playing) Double Dutch - when you're waiting outside the rope until you see a good opening. Now feels like a good time."

• Members
Jolie Avoids Jen at Cannes Showbiz Bash
17 May 2004 (WENN)
Angelina Jolie avoided a star studded party at the Cannes Film Festival on Thursday - to stop fellow actress Jennifer Aniston from feeling uncomfortable. Aniston was reportedly upset following speculation her husband Brad Pitt had grown close to Jolie whilst filming new movie Mr And Mrs Smith earlier this year. Although the reports were vehemently denied by both parties, Jolie decided to stay in her hotel room with son Maddox instead of joining Pitt and Aniston and stars including Cameron Diaz , Justin Timberlake , Will Smith and Uma Thurman at the bash at the exclusive Hotel Du Cap. A source tells Britain's Daily Mirror newspaper, "She didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable and thought it best to stay in her suite - and eliminate any chance of bumping into Jennifer."

• Members
Pinkett Smith Defends Saucy Lyrics
7 May 2004 (WENN)
Hollywood actress Jada Pinkett Smith has rubbished suggestions her song "Taste Your Fruit" is about giving oral sex. The Matrix Revolutions star, 32 - who is currently supporting the European leg of Britney Spears ' Onyx Hotel Tour - is furious "Taste Your Fruit", which she composed for her husband Will Smith , has been misunderstood by music associates and the media. Pinkett Smith explains, "Tasting your fruit is supposed to symbolize the nurturing aspect of the male character. So that's what it was supposed to be about. "But every time someone hears the song and they hear the title they're like 'Now what exactly is 'Tasting Your Fruit' supposed to mean?' and it wasn't until my husband brought it up to me, he was like 'You know what people are going to think when they hear this song!' "You can interpret it anyway you please!"