• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
The robots are coming!
Saturday, Sep 18, 2004

By Wesley Brown

A new breed of blue-collar worker, whose efficiency and work ethic will certainly impress some folk, could be coming soon to Arkansas.

Fans of the recently released Will Smith movie "I,Robot," loosely based on a series of short stories by sci-fi king Isaac Asimov, will be surprised to learn that one of Arkansas' newest employers is the largest robot maker, supplier and user in the world.

Japan-based Denso Corp., which is expected to open its brand-new $35 million auto parts plant in Osceola next month, first got involved in robotics production about 30 years ago.

Now, Denso uses more than 15,000 internally designed robots in its own manufacturing facilities worldwide while employing more than 90,000 workers. It also supplies another 15,000 robots to other companies globally.

Although Denso's newest robot does not have the humanoid features like the models in Smith's recent sci-fi thriller, "they are made to mimic human motion," said Brian Jones, section manager at Denso Robotics in Long Beach, Calif.

"But typically, robots that we use in manufacturing don't look like the ones that you see on TV," Jones added, admitting that interest in robotics and industrial automation is growing because of recent sci-fi movies.

Besides the lifelike NS-5s, the fully automated domestic assistants that the fictitious global conglomerate U.S. Robotics unleashes on the world in 2035 in Smith's movie, the new film "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" is also likely to boost interest in robotics technology.

That movie, which premiered in theaters nationwide on Friday, tells the story of a reporter who teams up with a pilot in search of giant flying robots that have attacked Gotham City.

Although Denso has not yet producing any robots that fly or possess the better-than-human qualities like the evil Sonny in "I, Robot," Jones admitted that the use of industrial robots is growing because of their efficiency and effectiveness.

"We use them in places where we don't want to put humans," Jones said, careful not to disparage the robots' human counterparts. "At Denso and other manufacturers you might see them in jobs where the work is tedious and very repetitious, or high volume situations where you might be making 'thousands of something' every day."

At Denso's new Arkansas facility, workers there will begin manufacturing heavy duty copper radiators next month for auto companies such Toyota, Nissan and Honda.

Currently, all of the contracts for the plant are new business for Denso, which will eventually supply Toyota's new $800 million Tundra plant in San Antonio. The 217,000-square-foot facility will begin building custom air conditioners in 2005.

Although Jones said he was not sure if the Arkansas plant will have robotic workers, the facility there includes a 2,600-square-foot training center to teach American workers about the company's highly automated manufacturing process.

And with the roll-out last week of a new line of industrial robots, it is clear that the Japanese auto parts giant intends to bring the technology to its U.S. manufacturing facilities.

On Sept. 2, Denso's robotics division unveiled the "VP Series robots," five and six axis robots that look like an overgrown kitchen appliance that has come to life. This model, according to a company news release, is available with a 3 kg payload and a 430mm reach, "making them ideal for light assembly or laboratory use."

The VP Series robots "are fast, capable of multi-tasking, have superb reliability and come with a host of options, including vision systems and networking," the release said.

"I believe we have reached a level with this line where we will see many new robot users incorporating automation in their processes," added Jones.

In response to a question about robots eventually taking jobs from humans, as some futurists have long predicted, Jones said that belief is a myth.

"Our point of view is that we use robots to help out humans, along with helping the factory run more efficiently," he said. "That actually allows us to hire more people."

Meanwhile, Denso officials say when the Delta plant reaches full production in 2008, the company's 500-person work force will be able to churn out 1.5 million air conditioners and 70,000 radiators a year.

Certainly, high volume work that could use an extra robotic hand or two.

• Members
SMITH HEADS BACK TO HIP-HOP

Actor WILL SMITH is planning to free up some time in his hectic Hollywood schedule - so he can focus on returning to rap music.

The ALI star's last album, 2002's BORN TO REIGN, marked his final project for COLUMBIA RECORDS, but now he's signed to INTERSCOPE, he's eager to sample chart glory again.

Included on Smith's forthcoming album, due out in January (05), is a planned duet with R+B star MARY J BLIGE.

TIMBALAND is on board to produce the set.

• Members
We have for you a couple of stills from the upcoming Will Smith romantic comedy, "Hitch," opening next February. The film tells the story of a man who believes he can match people in just three dates. A female journalist (Eva Mendes) enrolls in his program in an attempt to expose him as a fraud, but ends up following in love with him as well.

[img]http://www.cinecon.com/albums/album148/aaa.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.cinecon.com/albums/album148/aab.jpg[/img]

• Members
The idea came to him at 3 o'clock in the morning, says Ronald Anderson, Hollywood's trailersmith-to-the-stars. He'd been pondering how best to build a supremely roomy trailer--one with enough headroom to accommodate 6-foot-2 Will Smith and Smith's 7-foot bodyguard. He sketched it out on paper: a monstrous 22-wheel tractor trailer. Like other travel trailers, it pops out its sides for added room. But the pièce de résistance of Anderson's design--the feature that he later patented--is a second story nested inside the first.

Related Quotes
DJIA
NASDAQ
S&P 500
+13.19
+2.12

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

Push a button and the upper floor emerges, extruded by computer-controlled electric motors in 30 seconds. "It's like a giant Transformer," says Anderson, referring to the children's toy. This toy, the Anderson Mobile Estate, costs $1.8 million, weighs 40 tons, is 75 feet long and contains 1,200 square feet of living space.

By comparison, the much-ballyhooed bus that football commentator John Madden lives in between games has only 325 square feet, says Anderson. He should know; for 20 years he has been in the customized bus business, making land yachts for the likes of Sylvester Stallone and Hugh Hefner.

Fitted out with a panoply of communications gear, an Anderson Estate allows its occupant to do business anywhere. "That's what my clients want," says Anderson, "a tool that lets them be fully engaged when they're away from home."

In 2000 Anderson sold his prototype, called Aspen, to Will Smith. Then, a year ago Smith traded up to Babygirl, whose first floor contains a recording studio. The star used it to produce an L.A. television show from Vancouver, B.C. The first floor also has three plasma-screen TVs, two all-granite bathrooms and a full-service 14-foot-tall kitchen equipped with marble floors, clerestory windows, Sub-Zero fridge and matched-grain Italian cherrywood cabinetry (see photos: www.andersonmobileestates.com).

Upstairs there's a bedroom with a king-size bed, a sitting area that accommodates 30, a children's play area and two more plasma-screen TVs (one 50 inches, the other 65 inches). There's a satellite uplink. When the wind outside exceeds 15 miles an hour, an anemometer tells the awnings to fold up.

Security is tight. On one Estate a thumbprint scanner controls access to the bedroom. Should an unauthorized party enter the trailer when the owner is away, the security system dials his cell phone and transmits an image of the intruder.

The most sophisticated technology is concealed in the engineering of the trailer shell itself. At highway speeds Babygirl flexes. Torque twists all eight nested walls. Unless the right balance is struck between flexibility and rigidity, veneers can crack, cabinets pop off. "Millimeters make a difference in my business," says Anderson. Worst of all, the inner and outer shells can get out of alignment, so that when the upper floor starts to rise, it binds against the lower.

After much frustration and $4 million of development, Anderson eventually teamed up with metallurgist and stress analyst Gerald Clancy, an engineer whose prime attribute, according to Anderson, "was that he'd never built a trailer." Starting from a clean slate, Clancy achieved "mechanical perfection." Veneers no longer pop. But human error can still make setup and takedown ticklish. Furnishings on the second floor, for example, are positioned so they don't get squished when the roof comes down. An upstairs dividing wall folds in half. But leave a metal candlestick standing upright by mistake and it will impale the roof.

With every Estate client, Anderson's objective is the same: "I want to trigger that part of their brain that says, 'I'm home.'" To that end he visits customers' residences, borrowing homey details. For Will Smith's Aspen, he included chessboards, cowhide pillows and African masks. Says Anderson, "I know I've succeeded if a client touches his face in the first five minutes." He brings both hands to his cheeks in an "Oh, my!" gesture.

One-upmanship, as much as homesickness, draws would-be owners. On a shoot with several stars and several trailers, two-story talent stands out. "You're up there looking down," explains Anderson's associate Gary Ballen. "Guys in one-story trailers ask themselves, Why is he up there and I'm not?"

In the four years since Anderson began making Estates, he's changed his focus from selling to renting. "Two years ago we bought back every unit we could, so that now I own four of the six." He did that, he says, so he can make sure Estates are being properly maintained. "I'm too much of a control freak to do otherwise."

Here's the deal he offers: A customer pays nothing up front. In exchange for his commitment to rent an Estate for six months a year ($227,000) for five years, he can design his own, provided the cost doesn't exceed $1.8 million. Anderson then is free to rent the trailer to other customers the rest of the year.

Robert De Niro and Vin Diesel currently have Estates under construction. Diesel's, scheduled for delivery in May, has a sunroof whose technology comes from DaimlerChrysler's Maybach: At the touch of a switch, it goes from clear to opaque, or to any transparency in between.

Australian entrepreneur Steve Outtrim, owner of touch-screen technology company Majitek, thinks the potential audience for Estates extends well beyond actors. "Lawyers, politicians, business leaders--they all have to be offsite from time to time. It makes sense for them to have the same comfort and privacy as they'd have at home." He's negotiating with Anderson for an Estate of his own. "For myself, I'd use it for travel and vacation. I could have it sent on ahead into the Outback. Then I'd land next to it in my King Air. Rather than have to dig a hole in the ground to do my business, I'd have a small luxury apartment."

• Members
Movie review: Shark Tale
26 September 2004
Reviewed by AARON YAP

**½
When Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo became the highest grossing animated film of all time last year, it wasn't hard to picture Dreamworks' head Jeffrey Katzenberg itching to sink his teeth into his own version of a CGI-rendered aquatic world filled with cute talking fishies and gorgeous seabed flora.

And that's what Shark Tale essentially is: another round in an ongoing wrestling match between the studios. Think Dreamworks' Antz versus Pixar's A Bug's Life, or Shrek versus Monsters Inc.

While the stories are different, one glaring similarity between Nemo and Shark Tale is too close to write off: the character of Lenny (Jack Black), a cowardly vegetarian shark who flinches and retches at the thought of devouring fish. It's a trait lifted straight from Nemo's conflicted sharks.

An embarassment to his father Don Lino (voiced by Robert De Niro), Lenny's not too keen on joining his mafioso clan in terrorising the Southside Reef, home of Oscar (Will Smith), a lowly fish with the unenviable job of scrubbing whale mouths.

Oscar has his own dilemma: deep in debt to his puffer-fish boss Sykes (Martin Scorsese), and tired of his mundane existence, he yearns to realise his fame-addled dreams, to the dismay of best friend and secret admirer Angie (Renee Zellweger). Spurred on by the chance of winning sexy angelfish Lola (Angelina Jolie), Oscar soon finds himself elevated to the celebrity status of a heroic shark-slayer when he crosses paths with Lenny, who's facing increasing pressure from his family to nurture his killer instincts.

Shark Tale is nothing if not predictable and obvious, assembled from hackneyed plot turns that hold little surprise, and bald-faced stereotypes that have landed the film with similar complaints to those plaguing The Sopranos.

Having sharks riff on The Godfather, complete with ba-da-bings and fuggeddaboutits, is hardly the apex of invention.

Neither is enlisting the once-leading purveyors of the mean streets, De Niro, in a role originally intended for James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) and director Scorsese for voicework.

The film is simply too pop-culture-savvy and darkly sophisticated for its own good. Don't be surprised if you have an audience of kids flatlining during the mobster in-jokes, while their parents burst out laughing. Others will merely groan at how stale these jokes are.

The warm-hearted radiance of Nemo's father-son tale is missed. Instead, Shark Tale's moral fibre crashes in at the eleventh hour with speechifying about "being yourself". It's a less wholesome family-going experience than Nemo, at times sleazy even, its preoccupation with gambling, seduction and killing reflected in the garish and gaudy style of the animation.

So is there anything for the kids here? Well, the film does bristle with pace and energy, its kaleidoscopic palette is occasionally entrancing, and it offers a couple of inspired, imaginative moments to rival Nemo, such as the seahorse race track and whale-wash sequences. The Rastafarian jellyfish henchmen are pretty nifty too (but how many kids will get them?).

As for the voices, I've been expecting the day when De Niro would resign his talents to becoming a CGI-animated shark, but Scorsese's trademark motor-mouth is amusingly suited for animation, and it's a wonder he hasn't done it before. Smith is expectedly shrill, obnoxious, and borderline unbearable - it's difficult to work up any sympathy for his character - while Zellweger is quite touching as his unconditional friend.

AdvertisementAdvertisement
(PG) Starrring Will Smith, Robert De Niro, Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Renee Zellweger, Martin Scorsese, Michael Imperioli.
Directed by Bibo Bergeron, Vicky Jenson and Rob Letterman.

• Members
drug talk

WILL SMITH understands why so many celebrities turn to drugs for comfort - they falsely expect fame to hold the key to their happiness.

The ALI star acknowledges being famous often fails to live up to people's expectations as they unrealistically believe it will wipe away all their problems - when in fact it can leave an emotional void instead.

He says, "Fame can eat a lot of people up.

"You dream about something your whole life and the hope of attaining that is what you live for. Then you achieve it and you expect all your problems to go away because now you're famous and successful.

"You have got everything you wanted - fame, money, the woman that you love - and your hope now turns to reality.

"You have everything and then there's a horrible backlash when you realise, 'Oh s***, I'm still not happy'.

"That's the thing when you see people overdosing on drugs and fighting in bars in Hollywood.

"That's people hitting the realisation that they have got everything but they're still not happy."