JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Wanna know exactly why Lupe Fiasco is da ****

ash trey

I can't forgive Lupe for the ATCQ incident @ the hip hop honors, especially after he disrespected them and never apologized. I lost respect for him.

Have you heard this? Dude really didn't disrespect them. He's real forward in that interview I linked.

God Blessa!

He still never apologised for screwing up the lyrics. Sure, it was an accident, but atleast appoligse afterwards (his response was a little off too, if you ask me). That radio broadcast to me just sounds like he is trying to make more excuses and cover up instead of admitting he messed up. Also, just because he didn't "grow up on them", doesn't mean that he can't do a small part in one of their most well known songs right too. I'm not trying to argue or nothing, but I just don't think he handled the whole situation the right way. Atleast he did explain somethings in the video broadcast, but it doesn't make up for what he did in my opinion.

Even if all that wouldn't have happened, I still never liked his music. I don't really like his style, and his stuff doesn't appeal to me.

Also, it looks like he is retiring after his next album:

LUPEnd

Edited by bart5

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is nearly as shady as you're making it out to be. He's not even saying "I didn't mess up." He's not being arrogant about the situation. I'm sure he'd be the first to say sorry to ATCQ if they wanted it. It's not like he went out trying to hurt them. He'd been working on it all day. Q-Tip asked him to do it. He tried and still messed up. Not even a big mess up, but people are blowin it out of proportion like he just said "f**k tribe". Hell, artists forget their own lyrics on stage sometimes. He didn't hurt anybody. He just put an unflattering light on himself cast by the hip hop world.

Already knew about LupEND.

Now go buy the Cool and like it. Great album.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

I don't think this is nearly as shady as you're making it out to be. He's not even saying "I didn't mess up." He's not being arrogant about the situation. I'm sure he'd be the first to say sorry to ATCQ if they wanted it. It's not like he went out trying to hurt them. He'd been working on it all day. Q-Tip asked him to do it. He tried and still messed up. Not even a big mess up, but people are blowin it out of proportion like he just said "f**k tribe". Hell, artists forget their own lyrics on stage sometimes. He didn't hurt anybody. He just put an unflattering light on himself cast by the hip hop world.

Already knew about LupEND.

Now go buy the Cool and like it. Great album.

God Blessa!

He still never apologised and all. I mean, his job is to emcee...he should atleast get the lyrics down on a DEDICATION song. There is really no excuse for messing that up (even if he preformed Scenario well). Plus, afterwards he initially pretty much blamed it on not listening to ATCQ. Just seems a little off to me.

Also, if he never cared for ATCQ then he shouldn't have done the dedication in the first place. Tip never personally asked him, he just put his name down on the list of peeps that he would like to do the dedication. Its not even the point that he messed a few lyrics up though, its just the way he handled it. Now hes trying to just make excuses, whatever.

I previewed a couple of tracks from the Cool, and they sounded pretty crappy to me. I would rather spend my money on other artists. But go ahead and enjoy the Cool, just not my flavor ya feel me? I got no beef with you, I just don't agree with ya on this subject.

God Blessa!

Edited by bart5

It's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. He's not being underhanded about anything. The situation wasn't ideal and he shouldn't have been singing a dedication song for a group he didn't listen to, but that's what happened. He wasn't dastardly about it.

I'm not understanding The Cool hate at all. Everyone is wrong and I am right. Maybe my blood has the antidote in it.

God Blessa!

It's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. He's not being underhanded about anything. The situation wasn't ideal and he shouldn't have been singing a dedication song for a group he didn't listen to, but that's what happened. He wasn't dastardly about it.

I'm not understanding The Cool hate at all. Everyone is wrong and I am right. Maybe my blood has the antidote in it.

God Blessa!

Yeah, too bad that antidote was actually the disease. Hopefully no one else catches it. :sipread:

Lame....

I do NOT like bad artists. The reactions in here seemed fueled mostly by jaded attitudes. With all the terrible rappers out there, people here are complaining about one of the few that gives a damn. Do whatever you want, I'm off to see how my thread about YOU is doing.

God Blessa!

Lame....

I do NOT like bad artists. The reactions in here seemed fueled mostly by jaded attitudes. With all the terrible rappers out there, people here are complaining about one of the few that gives a damn. Do whatever you want, I'm off to see how my thread about YOU is doing.

God Blessa!

I admit he is better than 90% out there, but that doesn't mean that I like his music. Its all just personal taste, capeesh? Merry Christmas Chris. :christmassmiliefacetohelpmakechrisnothatemeforhavingadifferentopinionthanhim:

His... fairy friends?

God Blessa!

Exactly. Hiss fairy friends. Tinkerbell, Legolas and Pharell. I'm just trying to say that Lupe sounds to me like he is inb the clouds with his head all day.

Didn't they say that about Will once?

Probably. But I dont mean head in the sky like beeing arrogant, but like.. you know, sounding like s peeter pan rap soundtrack.

Q-Tip asked him to do it.

I thought I'd start with this one....Q-Tip denied this, as he said it was VH1 who set up ALL the performers. So VH1 asked him, Q-Tip wasn't the one making the decisions.

I read your reply this morning but I had to get going so now is my first chance to reply. I've had the time to think about what you said while listening to the CD in my car. Me being the music master that I am have come up with my 6 counter-points to prove why you are wrong and I, the Great Chris, am right:

1. Flow: Completely disagree with you.

2. I'll give you this, Food & Liquor's production was very organic. Everything fit together really well. The Cool has great production on though as well and I think it doesn't make much sense hating on it. Go Go Gadget Flow sounds nothing like Paris, Tokyo. Hip-Hop Saved My Life sound nothing like Go Baby. Hi-Definition sounds nothing like Hello/Goodbye.

3. You're making an odd point. An odd point that I again disagree with. I'm listening to him right now and if the guy didn't pause when he does then he'd run out breath and out of words.

4. Introduction. So do you hate all Slam Poetry then?

5. I don't think Lupe is trying to be a political emcee. Why is it unacceptable talking about many different big topics? I've had my fill of bad rappers talking about the same stupid topic ALL the time. How many different topics does Will Smith tackle in Tell Me Why?

6. Fame. "FACT IS" you're really just saying that's his goal. Fact is you don't know his master plan. His first album wasn't called "Get Rich or Die Trying", it was called "Food & Liquor".

I don't think he's nearly as complicated as you're making him out to be.

God Blessa!

(I shortened alot of it to not make people scroll, but I read the whole thing)

1. Sometimes he could be replaced with T.I...other times, q-tip, other times Kweli, common, Mos, Method Man. It's just not unique. I'm not going to say Kanye cause I think he takes more off of Lupe than Lupe off of him, but I still think Lupe hasn't created his own, individual style.

2. The production uses the same, limited arrangement of instruments. Sure, the tempo, rhythm, melodies are different, but it's the same 5 instruments. That gets repetitive if it isn't organic. Organic music to me can be done with limited instruments and if untouched and raw, can be fine. It's when you use audio engineering and butcher the initial sound and create something new, and use that same setup the whole album through. Regarding F&L, it felt enough of a different arrangement of instruments to make F&L worth a listen.

3. Talib NEVER sounds out of breathe on it. He flows that way. It works for him. Lupe rushes to the end of the breakpoints and then holds; it's extremely forced, maybe not on F&L as much, but definitely on this latest album.

4. Poetry on an album should be that of the artist. It's not his words and they seem to reach to be prophetic. And they aren't; they are forgettable.

5. Will did that with one song and did it well. Individual songs of Lupe's may be tolerable for it, but when you make of litany of what's wrong with the world today for an album, you are just doing that, striving, in a forced way, to make yourself standout as this uber-political emcee.

6. I respect those who, regardless of profession, do it out of the sheer 1.) enjoyment AND 2.) competitive urge to be the best. Lupe either 1.) is completely complacent and not "in it to win it" OR 2.) Convinced he's acheived the status of one of the best, and that is extremely premature, and immature.

Either one gets no respect from me, regardless of his work so far. It's the manner in which you approach your work.

Now I saw the one comment about Styles P being more enjoyable. I enjoy that album yes, but it doesn't really hit me as something special. Lupe's feels too forced and too broad.

Edited by Bob

(I shortened alot of it to not make people scroll, but I read the whole thing)

1. Sometimes he could be replaced with T.I...other times, q-tip, other times Kweli, common, Mos, Method Man. It's just not unique. I'm not going to say Kanye cause I think he takes more off of Lupe than Lupe off of him, but I still think Lupe hasn't created his own, individual style.

2. The production uses the same, limited arrangement of instruments. Sure, the tempo, rhythm, melodies are different, but it's the same 5 instruments. That gets repetitive if it isn't organic. Organic music to me can be done with limited instruments and if untouched and raw, can be fine. It's when you use audio engineering and butcher the initial sound and create something new, and use that same setup the whole album through. Regarding F&L, it felt enough of a different arrangement of instruments to make F&L worth a listen.

3. Talib NEVER sounds out of breathe on it. He flows that way. It works for him. Lupe rushes to the end of the breakpoints and then holds; it's extremely forced, maybe not on F&L as much, but definitely on this latest album.

4. Poetry on an album should be that of the artist. It's not his words and they seem to reach to be prophetic. And they aren't; they are forgettable.

5. Will did that with one song and did it well. Individual songs of Lupe's may be tolerable for it, but when you make of litany of what's wrong with the world today for an album, you are just doing that, striving, in a forced way, to make yourself standout as this uber-political emcee.

6. I respect those who, regardless of profession, do it out of the sheer 1.) enjoyment AND 2.) competitive urge to be the best. Lupe either 1.) is completely complacent and not "in it to win it" OR 2.) Convinced he's acheived the status of one of the best, and that is extremely premature, and immature.

Either one gets no respect from me, regardless of his work so far. It's the manner in which you approach your work.

Now I saw the one comment about Styles P being more enjoyable. I enjoy that album yes, but it doesn't really hit me as something special. Lupe's feels too forced and too broad.

Geez, Bob, this reply took too long. How can you expect anyone to know what things like F&L mean? That was forever ago. I'm not going to do another point-by-point argument because a lot of what you're saying is just you're opinion and an endless argument is just exhausting. I just wanna say: I don't find the production sounds the same at all. I never said Talib runs out of breath. I will say that I don't believe Lupe does either. I think his flow is on point. Lupe isn't making a million political songs so I don't know what you're talking about. And I'm too indifferent to the poetry intro to argue for it one way or the other.

God Blessa!

Geez, Bob, this reply took too long. How can you expect anyone to know what things like F&L mean? That was forever ago. I'm not going to do another point-by-point argument because a lot of what you're saying is just you're opinion and an endless argument is just exhausting. I just wanna say: I don't find the production sounds the same at all. I never said Talib runs out of breath. I will say that I don't believe Lupe does either. I think his flow is on point. Lupe isn't making a million political songs so I don't know what you're talking about. And I'm too indifferent to the poetry intro to argue for it one way or the other.

God Blessa!

F&L---food and liquor? would make sense considering we are talking about the artist who has an album of that name.

His whole album is the definition of talking about all the worlds problems...top to bottom with only a few songs not addressing a topic politically motivated.

and yes, it took too long cause I didn't touch the boards until today. Mainly because I saw the AOL thing about Will and Hitler. I was enjoying my Christmas!!! and everything leading up to it. I hope everyone else was too.

I want an emoticon that slaps his own face right now. I've got language barriers even from Americans.

His whole album is the definition of talking about all the worlds problems...top to bottom with only a few songs not addressing a topic politically motivated.

No. It's not.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger