• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted: Sun., Jan. 13, 2008, 3:56pm PT

'Legend' locked in overseas

Smith thriller still tops a foreign box office

fobo_iam.jpg

Will Smith starrer 'I Am Legend' won its fourth straight weekend abroad and looks likely to cross the $300 million mark in foreign grosses.

Will Smith's "I Am Legend" remained stellar at the foreign box office, easily winning its fourth straight frame with $36.2 million from 5,000 prints in 47 markets.

"The Golden Compass" led the rest of the pack with its fourth consecutive second-place finish, grabbing $15 million at 5,600 in 54 territories.

In Australia, Fox debuted "27 Dresses" a week ahead of its domestic launch and took in $3.1 million -- the best Oz opening ever for a romantic comedy.

The one-two punch of "Legend" and "Compass" has kept international biz in the pink for the past month with combined offshore grosses approaching half a billion dollars. "Legend" has cumed $218 million internationally, trailing the pic's Stateside total by $22 million; "Compass" continues to shine, hitting $247 million overseas, nearly four times the domestic gross, in a performance highlighting the traction of fantasy fare outside the U.S.

With the top four pics combining for $80 million, overall biz finished ahead of the same frame a year ago, when "Night at the Museum" led with $19 million.

"I Am Legend" took in its top numbers via impressive launches in Germany with $9.1 million and Italy with $7.1 million, grossing a respective 57% and 48% of the top five films in those territories. Its third Brit frame, with $4.3 million, easily topped the launch of "Charlie Wilson's War," and its Aussie soph sesh of $3.1 million tied "27 Dresses" and edged the debut of "American Gangster."

With openings next frame in Brazil and Mexico and strong holdover biz, "Legend" should continue leading the foreign box office for several more weekends and finish its foreign run with more than $300 million, again underlining Smith's worldwide star power. His last two pics -- "The Pursuit of Happyness" and "I, Robot" -- combined for nearly $350 million overseas.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797897...yid=13&cs=1

*Big Props To Ale; check his post to get more in-depth analysis of the international numbers*

According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, I Am Legend slipped to 6th place at the box office with an estimated $8.1 million over the weekend. Not to worry though because the international numbers are going through the roof. According to Variety.com the movie has now grossed over $218 million internationally with openings still yet to come in Mexico and Brazil. Couple that with strong holdover numbers in Europe and Asia, I.A.L.'s international box-office could outgross its stateside box-office. The movie could finish with more than $600 million worldwide.

Domestic: $240.2 million

Overseas: $218.0 million

Worldwide: $458.2 million

The weekend box-office actuals are in. I Am Legend slipped to 6th but still pulled in close to $8.2 million over the weekend. It is expected to take another big dip with the premiere of the heavily anticipated Cloverfield. Here are the updated numbers:

Domestic: $240.2 million

Overseas: $221.4 million

Worldwide: $461.6 million

Edited by TopDawg14

250+ domestically

250+ overseas

500+ WW

That's amazing.

Anyone got info on the actual budget figures ?

It was reported to be 180 with the cost for ads and stuff, so it's break-even would be

180M X 100 / 55 = 320 some M. So it's already made a 140 M profit and it looks like it's going to make at least 200 M.

250+ domestically

250+ overseas

500+ WW

That's amazing.

Anyone got info on the actual budget figures ?

It was reported to be 180 with the cost for ads and stuff, so it's break-even would be

180M X 100 / 55 = 320 some M. So it's already made a 140 M profit and it looks like it's going to make at least 200 M.

What I'm really interested in is what Overbrook's cut will be from the gross.

Updated numbers - While Cloverfield destroyed its way to the #1 slot this weekend with a $41 million total, I Am Legend found a way to remain in the top 10 bowing out at #9 with $5.1 million. Its U.S. total now stands at $247.6 million and looks to finish around $260 million. Should it finish above $250 million it will be Will's second highest grossing movie behind ID4.

The international numbers will be posted soon.

Domestic: $247.6 million

Overseas: $221.4 million

Worldwide: $469.0 million

• Admin

"I Am Legend" took the top spot at the foreign box office for a fifth consecutive weekend with sales of $28.7 million from 54 countries, according to estimates issued Sunday. The total for the Will Smith smash rose to $262.4 million.

that means Legend passes 500 million worldwide!!

"I Am Legend" took the top spot at the foreign box office for a fifth consecutive weekend with sales of $28.7 million from 54 countries, according to estimates issued Sunday. The total for the Will Smith smash rose to $262.4 million.

that means Legend passes 500 million worldwide!!

Haha, so maybe this week, then. Wow... Half a billion dollars. Incredible.