JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Final I Am Legend Box Office Report + DVD Sales

TopDawg14

The official numbers for the weekend are out and as expected I Am Legend crushed the competition this past weekend. The actual numbers are a tad higher than the estimates. I.A.L. grossed $77.2 million this past weekend. It also racked up another $20 million overseas giving I Am Legend a $92.2 million worlwide tally.

Smith's latest blockbuster smash cements Will Smith as the most bankable star in the world. His last six movies have grossed over $100 million and I.A.L. will make it seven. It is the seventh straight movie starring Smith to open at #1 at the box office. It also marks the seventh straight movie to open with at least $25 million in its opening weekend. Six of those seven movies grossed over $40 million in its opening weekend.

Other records: I Am Legend's opening weekend is the biggest opening weekend ever for a movie in December. It is also Will Smith's biggest opening 3-day weekend ever. The movie also ranks in the top 10 in 4 sub-genres(including Sci-Fi/Horror and Sci-Fi/Remake). It was the 4th best opening weekend in 2007 and the 17th biggest opening weekend ever.

The key now for I Am Legend is to have a strong 2nd weekend. It will be important that this movie has a strong word-of-mouth(The major reason for Pursuit of Happyness' success was its strong word of mouth) because Nicholas Cage's National Treasure 2 is expected to reign this weekend at the box office. If I.A.L. loses less than 50% of its box-office total from this past weekend then it will finish around $200 million.

Domestic: $77.2 million

Overseas: $20.0 million

Total B.O.: $92.2 million

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Am Legend opened overseas in 8 markets and pulled in close to $20 million. It opened #1 in Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan and South Korea. It opened #2 in Hong Kong. This is a pretty strong opening in just 8 markets. It will look to really cash in once it opens around Europe.

Sunday's total for I.A.L. was actually $18.4 million, slightly above the $17 million estimate. With National Treasure 2 & Todd Sweeney opening this week, it will be tough for I.A.L. to hold on to its #1 spot but it should easily cross the $100 million mark by weekend's end.

Well at this point, I Am Legend is becoming the 800 lb. gorilla. The post-acopolytic thriller starring Will Smith pulled in another $6.5 million on Tuesday. The movie has now grossed $91.2 million in just 5 days. Look for the movie to surpass $100 million by Friday.

More tidbits: Friday's $30.1 million opening day is the best opening day of Smith's career... and ranks #18 on the all-time list.

Domestic: $91.2 million

Overseas: $19.7 million

Worldwide: $110.9 million

Chalk up another $6.0 million for Will Smith's apocolyptic, vampire thriller I Am Legend. The movie grossed $6 million on Wednesday bringing its total to $97.2 million dollars. The movie will cross the $100 million mark today and look to take on National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Sweeney Todd, Charlie Wilson's War and Walk Hard to try and hold on to its #1 ranking. Also, expect the overseas box office total to explode as it is opening in many markets across Europe.

The movie now ranks #3 on the Sci-Fi/Horror and Vampire genres. It could become #1 in the Vampire genre by Christmas.

Domestic: $97.2 million

Worldwide: $116.9 million

that's so funny, the trailer in the TV looks like "the next program is sponserd by..." then you hear the announcer "Will Smith *pause* in the Movie IAL in the theaters."

like WS is sponcering that TV show lol that cracked me up... and it is broadcasting in the Prime Time of the day.

Well it seems that I Am Legend is receiving good word of mouth. Friday's estimates, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, have the latest Will Smith blockbuster at $11.0 and in 2nd place behind National Treasure: Book Of Secrets. This is significant because it only trailed NTBOS by only $6 million. That suggests that I Am Legend will be poised to make another $30 million over the weekend and close to $50 million through Christmas Day.

Domestic: $114.3 million

Worldwide: $134.0 million

With the three day weekend coming to an end, I Am Legend lost 55.7% of its box-office total from last weekend's record-setting total. Not to worry though as it still finished in 2nd place with $34.2 million at the box office. As expected, National Treasure: Book Of Secrets finished #1 at the box-office($45.5 million). What was not expected was that I Am Legend easily fought off the rest of the competition and it only trailed National Treasure by $11 million.

With the Christmas holiday expected to keep people in the theaters, I Am Legend could pull in another $20 million over the next 2 days. It is expected to cross $150 million by Wednesday. Also, expect the international numbers to skyrocket now that I.A.L. has made its way to most of Europe.

Domestic: $137.5 million

Worldwide: $157.2 million