JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Final I Am Legend Box Office Report + DVD Sales

TopDawg14

The first numbers for I Am Legend will be out Sunday evening. It is expected that I.A.L. will rake in between $45-54 million this weekend making it the 7th time an opening weekend total from Will Smith will surpass $40 million and the 4th time in the past 5 of Smith's movies.

If it reaches the $54 million mark as some analysts suspect, it will mark the largest 3-day opening weekend total of Smith's career.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Revise that number top dawg..and never listen to these box office experts predicts..they fail to realise Will Smith is the biggest movie star in the world...

I Am Legend 29.7 million friday!

Smith has new box office 'Legend'

Warner Bros. film posts $29.7 million Friday

By ANTHONY D'ALESSANDRO

Warner Bros.' Will Smith topliner "I Am Legend" made history at the box office yesterday, posting a whopping $29.7 million from 3,606 sites - the biggest opening day ever for the thesp.

In addition, the sci-fi/actioner registered a few more records in Warner Bros.' B.O. ledgers: not only was it the second highest opening day for the studio this year behind "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (first day take $44.2 million), it was also their top December opener of all-time, besting the $14.7 million generated by 2004's "Ocean's Twelve."

Among post-Labor day releases, "Legend's" first day is the fourth highest of all-time and the third best for a PG-13 release behind 2005's "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" ($40 million) and the Wednesday bow of 2003's "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" ($34.5 million).

The top three-day opening for a Will Smith vehicle belongs to "I, Robot" which generated $52.2 million in the summer of 2004. Hands down, "Legend" will beat that figure by Sunday.

The actor's previous opening day high belonged to the Wednesday bow of "Men in Black 2" which generated $18.6 million in 2002.

Fox's live-action/CGI adaptation of the '60s cartoon "Alvin and the Chipmunks" crooned a groovy $13.2 million off 3,475 locales - the biggest opening day ever for a Fox post-summer release, outstripping last year's Ben Stiller hit "Night at the Museum" which racked up $12.1 million. "Museum" posted $30.4 million in its first three days and "Alvin" looks to exceed that haul.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797778...yid=13&cs=1

Tim,

I usually wait for BoxOfficeMojo.com to come out with the numbers because they tend to be the most accurate with the box office totals. But you're right, it looks as though I Am Legend could be one of the biggest box office hits... period.

According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, Friday's estimates has I Am Legend at $29.5 million. If it stays on this pace, I Am Legend is scheduled to take in close to $80 million in its first weekend. If it does, it will rank in the top 20 of all-time in terms of biggest box-office opening weekends.

To bring it home just how big I.A.L. could be, it already ranks in the top 15 of all-time in 3 genres after only one day of release(those genres are Vampire, Sci-Fi/Horror and Sci-Fi/Remake).

Domestic: $29.5 million

Overseas: N/A

Total B.O.: $29.5 million

More stats from opening day:

With its $29.5 million dollar Friday opening, I Am Legend ranks #19 on the all-time Opening Day list. It also ranks as Smith's highest grossing opening of his career, far outpacing 2004's I, Robot. I, Robot earn $18.6 million in its opening day.

Amazing! I'm speechless. I did check with my friend who works at the biggest movie theater in my area and he said that I Am Legend is selling out for almost every showing. Alvin + The Chipmunks is selling out a good bit 2. I don't go 2 the movies 2 often, but i've only ever seen one other movie sell out at that theater. THIS MOVIE IS HUGE!!

4:30pm, sold out on a friday: 3 miles off campus was the nearest theater...and it's a pedestrian campus, so it shows the resolve. and it's also a school with nothing around it.

I think Will's numbers are going to be staggering.

In Indianapolis on Saturday afternoon the theater in general was pretty dead because of a major snow storm. The storm looks to be hitting much of the midwest and east coast, I wonder if it'll be hurting the numbers.

Yeah, I've heard the same from friends. I think it's going to hurt the sales a lot. :shakehead:

The bad weather on the east really hurt this movies Sunday gross,

it made 30 on Friday, 29 on Sunday and just 17.5 on Sunday, huge drop.

It should have been 80+. Still, pretty good.

Generally what happens is that Sunday is a bit of a slow-down. You will see somewhat of a drop from Saturday to Sunday. The movie kept pace with what some analysts predicted for the weekend. The $76.5 million opening weekend was the 5th biggest of the year. It was the biggest opening weekend ever in the month of December and it ranks #20 on the all-time opening weekend list. After just 3 days, I Am Legend ranks #31 on the yearly box office list.

I Am Legend could pull in nearly $200 million before it closes and maybe more. Last year's Pursuit of Happyness pulled in $163 million after a $26.5 million opening weekend. The key is if I.A.L. will receive a strong word-of-mouth from movigoers like Pursuit. While critics loved P.O.H., the reviews are somewhat mixed for I Am Legend.

Domestic: $76.5 million

Overseas: N/A

Total B.O.: $76.5 million

I just came back from the IMAX theater... We has a snow storm on Thursday that basically incapacitated the city. We had another snow storm today that did the same. I couldn't even go to church this morning, and I live 5 minutes away... The roads were horrible and the plows weren't out. This afternoon, they finally plowed, and since I had preordered tickets, I made sure I went...

I got there kinda late... roads were still slushy and wet and I had to pick people up...

Packed... 7:50 showing... Packed... Regardless of two, count em, two snow storms and horrile roads... Packed.