JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Mayweather def. Hatton 10th Round Review..

Bob

Considering we can waste our time with commentary on the Patriots, an American football team in an American only league, I thought I'd bridge the gap and talk about the awesome match-up from last night between a good ol' Brit, Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton and the American A--hole, Floyd "Pretty Boy" Mayweather.

First off, behind Philadelphians who bring hometown loyalty to the highest point possible, I find the Brits and Italians 2nd and 3rd in world's most passionate fans. The MGM was invaded last night by the Redcoats and they really made an amazing show of the pre-fight festivities.

With that said, and me being an American, I couldn't help wanting Hatton to win all week before the fight. I can't stand Mayweather at all. He's crass, he's disrespectful, and I still don't believe that split win over De La Hoya was really a win. Floyd is the kid in the 2007 "Rocky Balboa" movie. He has been tested though; I will give him that.

Ricky Hatton is a standup gentleman with a sarcastic comedic side, and his no-rest attitude is a fan-favorite style. He played the good guy, while Floyd didn't play his terrible, bad guy character too much this month.

Anyway, to the introductions. I started hearing the Brits going on and on, and I was amused, considering that passion is never heard in America outside of the City of Brotherly Love. Yet, when God Save the Queen was respected by Americans, the English booed over the Star Spangled Banner. It was then that I started to think that, hey, I should support the guy representing the States. Mayweather played to that sentiment, and I think won many fans, when he came out to "Born in the USA." USA chants broke out and the arena was taken back by the USA.

The Match:

-Mayweather looked more poised than ever, or at least 4 times more poised than his anxious self who slipped by De La Hoya in May. He looked like a rock and his form and fundamentals were right on. The Hitman got the first staggering shot, and I was pretty surprised. Mayweather, of course, let the fight come to him. He never pushes the fight until he has an opening late in the bout.

-Hatton pushed the match even more than De La Hoya did in May. And that's a lot. I had seen Hatton play an amazing stamina game, constantly going and never tiring before. He really brought it, and he just looked like you had him on fast-forward.

-Problem for Hatton was, he was hitting a wall. Mayweather covered everything. Nothing was open; the shoulder was falling every second, the duck-game ensued.

-There was A LOT of grappling, to the point the ref was getting heated. Hatton gave Floyd a shot to the back of the head at one point, and was deducted for it. What ensued next, was Hatton turning his behind towards Mayweather and bending over. Although it got a laugh from me, if Mayweather would have done that, he would have been executed. There was no class in that gesture.

-So what happened after the "friendly" gesture? Mayweather hit a gear I haven't seen in fights in years. He is so conservative his whole career, and you rarely see the extent of his offense.

-The whole match was just waiting and baiting by Floyd, as the Hitman threw everything and the kitchen sink. Mayweather never felt a thing though. He got a cut on Hitman though, the one thing known to really affect Ricky..

-10th round, Mayweather found the opening, dropping Hatton pretty hard. Ricky got up at the 8 second count, and some 30 seconds later, Mayweather took him down a second time. And that was it.

End of match ceremonies saw Floyd giving Hatton some good respect and mentioning that the Hitman was his toughest opponent.

The question is, who's left?

I wasn't, but now I'm a believer in Mayweather.

The only other dominating guys in his weight class don't compete in boxing, they do MMA. And they are two completely different beasts.

Who watched the fight? Anyone have their own thoughts? Boxing has been hit pretty hard as a sport but this fight was the epitome of a great fight.

Edited by Bob

I think Mayweather just outclassed Hatton...he was tactical and was just waiting for his opportunity..Hatton had heart but just not enough to see him through!! That knockout was sweet tho!! First the left hook from Mayweather then the corner post!!! :lol:

It was a good fight. Mayweather was just that much better than Hatton. BTW, his head hitting the ringpost was classic comedy. :lolsign:

Oh and Bob, I think sports fans in Chicago are just as passionate as you Philly fans. I have great respect for Philly and all their teams.

Oh and Bob, I think sports fans in Chicago are just as passionate as you Philly fans. I have great respect for Philly and all their teams.

I mean, you're up there, but the heartache we've felt and the loyalty still takes us above the rest. you've enjoyed your bulls and hawks from time to time..and we've never really gotten anything since the 70's. cubs do have a similarity to the phils though, we have mutual pain.

I mean, you're up there, but the heartache we've felt and the loyalty still takes us above the rest. you've enjoyed your bulls and hawks from time to time..and we've never really gotten anything since the 70's. cubs do have a similarity to the phils though, we have mutual pain.

You want to talk about heartache? The Blackhawks haven't been to the playoffs in nearly 10 years and until my White Sox won the World Series in '05 it had been almost 100 years since a World Series title. The Bears haven't won the Super Bowl since '85 and now they stink again. The Cubs? Well they're just a lesson in lifelong futility. And you haven't met rabid sports fans until you've met a die-hard, long-suffering Cubs fan.

I'll give you credit though. I gave mad props to the Philly fans for booing Ja Rule at an Eagles playoff game a few years back. That was CLASSIC!!! :lolsign:

And you haven't met rabid sports fans until you've met a die-hard, long-suffering Cubs fan.

Well I meet the most rabid and hands-down passionate fans every week back in philly...

you actually have ownership that cares, that's why our pain is unimaginable.

85 for the bears is alot better than never for the eagles....i mean we have THE DRAUGHT since 80 nothing...at ....all. nothing in baseball, basketball, football, hockey....except the minor league hockey team. yay.

Oh man, Ja rule and Ashanti. wow. hahahhaha.

I think Mayweather just outclassed Hatton...he was tactical and was just waiting for his opportunity..Hatton had heart but just not enough to see him through!! That knockout was sweet tho!! First the left hook from Mayweather then the corner post!!! :lol:

the thing is, it seems like he had no confidence to do that in may against de la hoya. he was coasting until this match. i really do think Hatton bending over in disrespect lit a fire in floyd