JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I Am Legend reviews

Radewart

There's a negative one at aint it cool news, but it is poorly written and tells you very little.

Here's a positive one I found: http://moviereviewfaqs.blogspot.com/2007/11/i-am-legend.html

Q: What’s the movie about?

A: A brilliant scientist – Robert Neville (Will Smith) is possibly the last human left on earth after a man-made virus seemingly wipes out the world’s population. For the next 3 years, Neville sends out daily radio messages in search of other survivors. But mutant victims of the plague – The Infected – lurk in the shadows (unable to be in the light) waiting to prey on Neville as he tries to reverse the effects of the virus by using his own immune blood.

Q: Who’s in the movie?

A: Will Smith, Alice Braga, Charlie Tahan, and one very well-trained (and emotive) German Shepherd. (There’s also an unexpected cameo in the first 5 minutes, so make sure you don’t miss the beginning.)

Q: Is this movie worth the price of admission?

A: Go! Let’s face it, you’re seeing I Am Legend because we haven’t had a Will Smith actioner since 2004’s, I Robot, and the good news is both he and the movie are better this time. I Am Legend delivers the goods on suspense and action, and it cuts the surface to go a bit deeper and make you think (albeit not as much as it could have). I did not read the popular Richard Matheson novel the film was based on, so I can’t comment on the translation to screen, but if you’re looking for some year-end action/thriller entertainment, this one will most likely satisfy.

Q: Will this movie make me laugh?

A: There are a few clever jokes with the use of mannequins, and some visual funny related to the not-to-distant future (keep an eye on the NY-billboards and gas prices), but overall this is no comedy.

Q: Will this movie make me cry?

A: There are some touching and emotional moments that might get to a select few people. Mostly thanks to Smith, these moment come off a little more ‘real’ than in most action films.

Q: Will this movie be up for any awards?

A: This isn’t the type of movie that usually garners Academy Award recognition outside of the visual effects and technical categories, but if dogs were eligible for Best Supporting Actor, we might have a contender.

Q: How is the Acting?

A: It’s pretty much Will Smith’s film from beginning to end considering he’s practically lonelier than Tom Hanks was with that volley-ball in Cast Away. With that said, Smith’s in fine form as the quintessential thinking-man’s action hero. Not only is he tremendously charismatic and fully buff – he also has to pull off the emotion that overcomes someone living with only himself for going on three years. There’s never a false moment in his performance and there are few actors who would be better in this type of role – maybe none. Alice Braga and Charlie Tahan as mother and son are also both good, but it’s still Will’s world.

Q: How is the Directing?

A: Francis Lawrence came from the world of music videos and his first feature was the 2005 Keanu Reeves film, Constantine. He handles this film with similar aplomb – the action sequences pop and the quieter moments work well too. He seems like an ‘action’ director trying to go a little deeper which is always a good thing.

Q: How is the story/script?

A: Completely serviceable and there are some nice surprises along the way. The script could have been dumbed down, but luckily it never feels as if it were. But one can’t help wish the psychology of the story (and characters) had gone a bit deeper for an even more satisfying ride since it deals with a catastrophe that could be all-to-real in the very near future

Edited by Radewart

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah I read the one at "aintitcool" and felt like my IQ had dropped, it didn't really tell you much.

In passing, I read on somebody's blog that Will's performance was really good, "compelling" I think it said, but that "review" didn't tell you much either.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/news...aid/6199/tcid/1

^^^^

doesn't go into much detail, but the reviewer talked positively about it

another review from imdb....

---------------------------------

The filmmakers did an exceptional job with updating the material. They took it in a great direction and oh, gasp, the fanboy sites like aintitcool and the cheesy horror sites won't enjoy this...they'd rather rave about films like House of the Dead, Resident Evil & the Saw franchise.

From an uncredited emma thompson's haunting words at the beginning of the movie to the very last frame, people will be riveted and pleased with the big budget behemoth of I Am Legend.

I doubt aintitcool news was there last night. it was a card carrying member of the wga screening and they were controlling the list pretty tight. no press whatsoever. i was bummed that mark p. couldn't make it for the q & a after, but the film was well received on every level.

--------------------------------

Here's someone's individual review from IMDb.

Just saw an advance screening at the TV Academy tonight and all I'm gonna say is that my heart was racing the entire film and I feel sorry for the poor people sitting next to me cause I was screaming and gasping throughout. The scenes of the deserted NYC have to be seen to be believed. Will Smith is back in action mode and pulls it off effortlessly. This movie was a great ride with tons of scares, terrific special effects, great pacing. Cameo by Emma Thompson is truly amusing. Recently saw the old Vincent Price version on TV and this version simply blows it out of the water. Kudos to all involved. A terrific thriller.

• Members

Look at this...this one of the few sources on the internet that I actually respect when it comes to reviews.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=39899

I don't think this is a good sign...as a matter of fact I believe that a massive "OH Fu*k" is in place given how much we all wanted this film to work.

Me especially since I'm not too convinced about the premise and what we've seen so far from "Hanocck" and the premise of "Seven Pounds"...

Will, for God's sake - focus!! And get rid of Akiva Goldsman already. He's clearly not the right way for you if you want to be treated and respected as a serious actor.

Cheers

Haha, anyone get the feeling that whoever reviewed the movie made up their mind about it before they saw it?

Even with such a strong premise to work from, this quickly turns into "The Will Smith Show," Smith taking center stage to do all his normal routines, mostly for his dog and the mannequins that have replaced any human contact. Instead of constantly cracking jokes, he takes things far more seriously, as one might expect if one found themselves in his situation, being completely alone and isolated. Smith lacks any credibility as a scientist, however many times we see him in the lab working on a cure for the virus, and even less so as one of those rare scientist-slash-soldiers who is as skilled with various forms of firearms as he is with genetics. Smith tries hard to embellish the character with a range of emotions as he deals with the grief of being separated from his wife and child to going completely mad from being isolated for so long, but this isn't Smith's best work and often, the dog companion out-acts his master, showing why it's so important to have a decent supporting cast... and I'm not just talking about another one of your cute kids either, Mr. Smith!

Lol, are they really complaining about Will taking center stage? The movie is about the supposed last man on Earth. Wouldn't it ruin the premise of the movie if there were other people around just so the first half of the movie wouldn't be "The Will Smith Show?" That's the worst and most illigitimate complaint I've heard in some time.

Will Smith lacking crdibility as a scientist reminds of of those last year who said that he lacked credibility as a homeless person. It's the kind of criticism you hear people say who ultimately say something like, Will Smith should just stick to music!!!

Reading this review, you'd swear you'd be wasting you money even renting this movie. Guess I should save my money, lol.

• Admin

UGO Review

But at night, the city, and movie, take a turn for the worse. Shiny looking CG "darkseekers" pounce about the city, howling from their hyper-extended jaws (imagine the animated mummies from the Mummy franchise). Like many lesser horror films, I Am Legend, confronts you with the darkseekers at too early a point in the film, allowing you to reference them merely as "the bad guys" rather than some terrifying unknown entity. To make matters worse, there somehow manages to be a darkseeker leader (with totally awesome tattered rags!), who does little more than howl at Neville in various parts of the movie. That's not to say that there aren't some tense moments, though most all of them occur in the first half of the film.

Of course, the shining star of the film is Smith's performance. Acting solo for the majority, he fills the world around him with life. Smith never talks to himself, his conversation is always directed at someone, be it his dog, his computer, or the mannequins he's set up about town. Despite his solo existence, it feels as if there are relationships in place. It's by far the best depiction of Robert Neville on screen and the highlight of the film.

To the credit of director Francis Lawrence (responsible for the pretty but paltry Constantine), I Am Legend is a complete success, but it's hard to praise a film that brings little new material to the table. After all, this story has been told twice before, and while this telling completely works, there's nothing remarkable about it for those familiar with either past iteration. If you're lucky enough to find yourself new to I Am Legend, definitely catch this film, unless you want to wait another 20 years for the next one.

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=18...amp;sectionId=2

• Members

Hey!

Guys, I love Will just as much as you guys and it actually got to a point where I can't objectively rate his films. Even when I was watching "Wild Wild West" and every bone in my body was telling me how stupid, childish and naive that movie was I still couldn't help but enjoy it.

I think you guys are doing the same a bit. We are all judging his movies before we get to see them. Just like maybe that reviewer did. The difference is we're doing it for the movie's benefit but is that any different? Better? Worse? Think about it.

When the man wrote "Will Smith Show" I think he meant the "Big Willie Show" which is not a good thing. A "Will Smith Show" would be good just like Tom Hanks Show in Cast Away but a Big Willie Show would not because it's way too complex a character to portray him the Big Willie way.

I'm not defending the review, because I hope the guy actually IS biased like crazy and wouldn't like the movie no matter how well it was written. All I'm saying is that it's not a good sign. And let's face it - the man does have a point about the CGI. The bits we all saw in the trailer were a bit off. This type of CGI worked for "Constantine" because we were dealing with demons there and they can look a bit cartoonish but "I Am Legend" doesn't have some anonymous creatures but infected humans which is somethink completely different.

Maybe I'm just bitching or maybe "Transformers" really raised the bar for every CGI-based movie in the future and things like "Van Helsing" and "Constantine" should be put to rest.

Cheers

I agree with Mr. K, and it's not just the coming soon review, but others that are saying the same thing. It's disappointing becuase I was really looking forward to this movie, but not every movie is gonna be great or even good everytime out. Every actor is gonna have a bad one here and there. It just sucks that this appears to be one of them, because the novel is great. There is such potential to make a great movie. I want to whole heartly second the notion that Will needs to get away from Akiva Goldsman. The guy is crap!

Hey!

Guys, I love Will just as much as you guys and it actually got to a point where I can't objectively rate his films. Even when I was watching "Wild Wild West" and every bone in my body was telling me how stupid, childish and naive that movie was I still couldn't help but enjoy it.

I think you guys are doing the same a bit. We are all judging his movies before we get to see them. Just like maybe that reviewer did. The difference is we're doing it for the movie's benefit but is that any different? Better? Worse? Think about it.

When the man wrote "Will Smith Show" I think he meant the "Big Willie Show" which is not a good thing. A "Will Smith Show" would be good just like Tom Hanks Show in Cast Away but a Big Willie Show would not because it's way too complex a character to portray him the Big Willie way.

I'm not defending the review, because I hope the guy actually IS biased like crazy and wouldn't like the movie no matter how well it was written. All I'm saying is that it's not a good sign. And let's face it - the man does have a point about the CGI. The bits we all saw in the trailer were a bit off. This type of CGI worked for "Constantine" because we were dealing with demons there and they can look a bit cartoonish but "I Am Legend" doesn't have some anonymous creatures but infected humans which is somethink completely different.

Maybe I'm just bitching or maybe "Transformers" really raised the bar for every CGI-based movie in the future and things like "Van Helsing" and "Constantine" should be put to rest.

Cheers

The reason I brought up my issues with the review that was posted earlier is because it contained a number of illigitimate criticisms, criticisms that always seem to arise when Will does a serious movie... criticisms that always seem to fall to the wayside when a large collection of people finally get to see the movie. It's starting to become a pattern, so I'm just putting it out there. Some of the same things happened with Pursuit of Happyness. If you go back and read some of the early reviews, a number of people complained about it as sappy, corny, etc... We all know how that turned out, lol.

I took the reviewer's mention of the "Will Smith Show" as just that, a Will Smith centered and exclusive portion of the movie. I don't think he had any intention of referring to it as the "Big Willie Show" considering that the reviewer himself said...

Instead of constantly cracking jokes, he takes things far more seriously, as one might expect if one found themselves in his situation, being completely alone and isolated.

That's certainly not "Big Willie" in any sense of the term, so it wouldn't really make sense to say or mean that and if that is what he's saying... it's even worse.

The criticism the reviewer seems to be leveling is "Even with such a great story to work with, they couldn't have found a way so that people wouldn't have to watch Will and a dog for an hour?" This is why I find this a poor critique... the story is at least somewhat faithful to the original.

As for the CGI... the only CGI I've really seen a lot of is the NYC landscape, and it looks excellent... I haven't really gotten an extensive look at the mosters. This is why I didn't criticize that point if you were to go back and read my previous post. I have no basis to criticize it and the reviewer might very well be correct... so I didn't say anything about it.

Another point that the reviewer made was that Will lacks credibility as a scientist...

Smith lacks any credibility as a scientist, however many times we see him in the lab working on a cure for the virus, and even less so as one of those rare scientist-slash-soldiers who is as skilled with various forms of firearms as he is with genetics.

But Tim has posted a review in which the reviewer said...

Of course, the shining star of the film is Smith's performance. Acting solo for the majority, he fills the world around him with life. Smith never talks to himself, his conversation is always directed at someone, be it his dog, his computer, or the mannequins he's set up about town. Despite his solo existence, it feels as if there are relationships in place. It's by far the best depiction of Robert Neville on screen and the highlight of the film.

I mean... so Will's performance as a military scientist lacked credibility, yet at the same time, another reviewer sees his performance as the shining star of the film. That's a notably disparity. It reminds me of the reviews last year in which people said that Will and Jaden's perfomances were overdone and sappy, only to have others say that they were the highpoint of the film.

All I'm saying is that I'm not going into pessimistic mode quite yet based on a few illigitimate criticisms, especially when there are already other reviews out that dispute those crticisms. We'll have to wait and see. We did this last year, and again, we all know how that turned out.