JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

No Music for Will

Hero1

• Admin

this is an interview ashley posted in the movie forum.. I thought i'd start a new topic here so we dont go on about music in the movie forum...

How much time do you devote to music now?

No music at all. Specifically, with “I Am Legend,” I think that I’m hitting a stride right now and as an actor I’m growing exponentially with every project.

Heres the problem I have with this answer.. Is Will really the greatest actor in the world? If he was a brilliant actor I could let go of the whole muisc thing.. I really don't see him choosing roles that can show his real ability.. in all his dramatic roles he has simply become the character he is playing..that is not the work of a brilliant actor.. The other thing that annoys me..how can Will go from one extreme to another.. In 2005 he is telling us he has found himself as a rapper.. then 2 years later he spends no time on music? What is the deal Will? :susel[1]:

I think Will is at a crossroads in his life. I think he wants to be the next "Denzel" and that's driving him right now. Plus, the music scene is in a bit of a crisis mode right now. I still think he loves music but I don't think it's his passion right now(and maybe the passion is gone for good). Let's look at his career musically. He's got 4 platinum albums(3 of them went multi-platinum), 5 gold albums and 4 Grammys. Not many other rappers can boast those kind of stats. Those stats are hall-of-fame type stats. In his mind, he doesn't have anything else to prove musically.

On the acting side, he's racked up over $4 billion in worldwide box-office sales. He's got 3 Golden Globe and 2 Oscar nominations. I think he won't rest until he wins an Oscar and becomes the biggest movie star of all-time. I think that is what is driving him right now.

I sometimes think its all talk and he just doesn't like to mix any answer about the other thing when he is there to talk about the other thing.

We will see, cos Jeff keeps saying he has the bug but Will deny's it to the press.

I dunno! He seems to be confused at the moment! Its like he switches back and forth every so often. I don't think the music industry interests him at the moment. He still hasn't achieved everything in film yet so I think the next few years will be him solely focusing on that. We have to come to terms with the fact that Will might not record another album...

Yeah, if he said in 05 he's found the rapper inside himself he sure got lost quick.. with the way music is right now i wouldn't want will to come back yet anyway. it's just sad to think we might have seen will's last abum i still have some hope though!

I've said this a while back, but maybe he just hasn't got anything to say in the rap game at the mo. Lost & Found was very much an answer piece. Im just not sure any questions have been asked of him lately in his life.

Here's how i look at things. He's always said he considers himself an emcee 1st and an actor second. I think that's the foundation of his mind as an artist. But when caught in the middle of love and life (ha ha), he's gotta ride the wave of whatever makes the most sense.

Without getting in2 it 2 deep, on the acting side of things, he's paid, succssfull, and the biggest thing out. He has been for awhile. He can't make any stupid decisions that will jepardize that. We all know that's the field he'll be accepted in when he gets older. Hip-Hop...probably not so much. It's imporant for him 2 stay active in that field. I'm not in2 movies like Tim, so i appriciate everything FP does on screen. I can't say i care 2 much about the movies until a new one comes out, but when they do, i appricate it, whether he's playing an amped up version of himself or another character. There's also not a movie FP has done that i haven't liked. It's cool with me with what does when it comes 2 acting. When it comes 2 music vs. movies, i could see FP PUBLICLY avoiding Hip-Hop just so his acting status seems more legit, when he actually could be working on music regularly and constantly writing as an album slowly forms. Think about it, FP did tracks for the Bad Boys 2 soundtrack, but we didn't get L+F for another years. "Tell Me Why" was actually done back in 2003. It could be a way he tries 2 get the masses 2 focus on one thing at a time.

When it comes 2 Hip-Hop, i'll always want a new album from him, i'll always wanna know he's involved with music and working on it. But at the same time, look at the commercial stay of Hip-Hop and Rap. It's rock bottom. It's been falling apart for over 10 years. Sure, there is an always respectable underground and indie scene...but is FP really that kinda artist?? I don't really see him that way. Rappers are idiots. They are truely ignorant people and talking ignorantly about ignorant things that really don't mean anything...and if they do, it's never about anything worth talking about. The production is a joke. Their fake personalities are hilarious. And then there's Dirty South Rap...ha ha. The music industry is changing digital downloads and ringtones. The radio is a commercial for the flava of the month ringtone.

Who can want 2 be a part of that. I think FP is in a legendary status of emcee where he might drop an album ever 5 years or so. Unless music changes, it's hard 2 come up with an alternate path in my mind. Let's just hope for the best.

One possible reason why he's not into music could also be the people around him. Nobody asks him about music. Yeah, some journalists maybe. But he never talks to a real fan. I think he doesn't realize, or recognize, that his music is still important and it still touches somebody's heart and soul. Which is sad.

I really hope he'll find his way back to the mic soon.

Believe me, if I had the chance to meet Will and to talk to him, I wouldn't talk about his movies that much, but about his music.

L&F is his best solo album but with any interest inside the music industry. I think Will is very disappointed with this fact. He gave his best, a lot of critics recognized it but its sales wasn't so big as they supposed to be.

He likes to be the best and if he is not on top of the charts with his albums (just the opposite of his movie career) he'll stop to make music. :shakehead:

His answer doesn't surprise me at all. I also really don't see much point in defending Will's answer. We've been doing in it for years. The music industry is always in a bad state, so what. Movies always pay big, so what.

Really, Will can do whatever he wants with his life. I happen to think he's shortchanged his music fans though.

God Blessa!

i think hes sending out mixed messages, it does sound like most of the time he doesnt know what he wants to do.

The thing is, is that the majority of people in general like Wills films more than the music, but the majority of this fans prefer music to movies. I wish we could let him know that!

Just give him an oscar so he has nothing left to achieve in movies!!!!

I still think Will can do a few movies a year.. then take a few months off and do an album.. why does it have to be one or the other?

The world will never know......haha

I agree with ya, AJ. You hit the nail on the coffin.