Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kingdom Come vs. American Gangster

TopDawg14

Better Album  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Jay-Z album

• American Gangster
    • Kingdom Come

Well, we gotta admit that Lil wayne is big now, he was suppoused to have a beef with jay and now look at that, he is guest starring in his new cd, as he is in everybodys cds.

dont believe the hype and f*** lil wayne :wickedwisdom: ahahaha

i may download A.G. if i have time :)

that track with Jay for me

is just a deleted file :D

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

Unfortunatly, my friend loves him but his voice sucks, flow sucks, stage presence sucks - he is such garbage.

OH MY GOSH :signthankspin:

me and my friend have this discussion of lil wayne EVERY DAY. im not even joking. all he does is say his bars. and im like can he do anything but sound like an age 50 smoker? he has no flow and no heart.

i really can't make up my mind. i've been playing american gangster for the last 2 weeks and i can't decide. usually i make up my mind real quick. i play success every 5 seconds because the way nas killed "black republican", jay seemed real hungry on "success" and beat nas on that collab. pray is awesome. fallin is just unbelievable. jd did his best work ever. and diddy finally put up some good production this century. he's done only garbage the last 7 years in terms of production. roc boys is fun, almost feels like an encore-hype song.

buttttt... am I the only one who realizes that Just Blaze repeated the beat for "American Gangster" **Bonus track, #15 on the cd** from "Show me What you got" from "Kingdom Come"??????????????????????????

It really annoys me. i like blue magic. party life doesn't get me. Ignorant Sh*t is the only time I ever enjoy Beanie...No hook is sicckkkk...."I know" SOMEHOW works...and I thought pharrell couldn't make a beat anymore for a good song...lol guess i was off...and although I cannot stand lil' wayne...hello brooklyn has grown on me BIG TIME...I think they work good together. sorry lol.

I'd take this album in terms of beats over Kingdome Come...I felt Dr. Dre was a little too heavy on the strings last album...but content? Lyrically he is more hungry on American Gangster, but his thoughts were very "high" on Kingdom Come..and I enjoyed that.

EDIT:

When I said "can't make up my mind about the album", i'm saying whether I'd give it a "classic" or 5 star label. I usually listen to something and make that decision pretty quick....and i'm sitting on this...but my mindset has finally been in the "mood" for this type of album and "American Dreamin" along with "Sweet" are growing big time on me

Edited by Bob

American Gangster is def better.

Kingdome Come was good but not what you expected. If someone else than Jay would've done it would have gotten better reviews.

Fallin' is an incredible track. No Hook and I Know are also wonderful.

AMERICAN GANGSTER: THE OFFICIAL REVIEW

Less than one year after what some people say was a less-than-stellar album, Jay-Z returns with American Gangster. The album was loosely based after the Denzel Washington/Russell Crowe hit movie of the same name. Unlike Kingdom Come when Jay focused on other issues, Hov returns to his roots - rhymes about the hustle lifestyle. But this time around, you get the feeling that Jay is conflicted about the lifestyle whereas before he seemed to delight in it.

Pray = 8.5/10; A haunting tale of a young hustler wanting success. Backed over a haunting beat and chorus, Jay shines on this track.

American Dreamin' = 9/10; using a Marvin Gaye track, Jay rips seamlessly through this lush beat.

Hello Brooklyn 2.0 = 0/10; quite possibly the worst Jay-Z track.... EVER. Lil' Wayne does more to destroy the song than the awful beat could ever do.

No Hook = 9/10; I like how Jay flows over this apocolyptic beat.

Roc Boys = 9.5/10; The horns are what draw me in; Jay's flow is brilliant yet effortless

Sweet = 8.5/10; Another track with a 70's type feel to it. I thought Jay could have come a bit harder but pretty good nonetheless.

I Know = 8/10; This track has radio play written all over it; another Pharrell-produced track that grows on you; most of his beat will do that to you.

Party Life = 7/10; O.K. track; sounds like a filler-track that's still better than most songs out today.

Ignorant Sh** = 8/10; Not that much a Beanie Siegel fan but he brings it on this track(using a Isley Bros. track).

Say Hello = 8/10; Another breezy 70's type track mixed with a Down South feel; another effortless yet effective flow from Jay.

Success = 10/10; The organ over the beat is fire; Jay is at his best on this track; Nas further fans the flames on this heat-seeker.

Fallin' = 10/10; Best track on the album

Blue Magic = 9.5/10; Another Pharrell track that grows on you and grows on you quick

American Gangster = 10/10; Just Blaze brings the hot beat(eerily similar to Show Me What You Got on Kingdom Come) while Jay knocks it out the park.

Overall Grade = B+

The album's strength are the last 4 tracks. Would have been an "A" if not for Brooklyn 2.0

0/10 for Hello Brooklyn?!? It must be a big city thing, Mr. Chi-town. That joint is crazy. And Lil Wayne did just fine I think. I think that was actually Lil Wayne's best way to deliver (of the few songs of his I've heard). I can understand the Lil Wayne fascination, but I don't get it. That Beastie Boys sample is what did it for me. Totally rocks. "Helllllooooooo Brooklynnnnnnn!!!". People are gonna react to tracks differently for a lotta reasons. I really like AG a lot, I guess because of the mind state I'm in. And because I finally realized some time ago, I can't front on Jay-Z.

I bought the cd this weekend I have listened to non-stop! Great stuff! Some of my fav: "Roc Boys", "No Hook", "I Know", "Success", "Fallin" (JD overdone himself on this beat), "Blue Magic"...

About "Success". It's the second track Jay-z and Nas have worked on together! Which one do you guys like the most? At the moment I'm feeling "Success" more. I like "Black Republicans" but "Success" is pure fire. Eventhough Jay bites some lines from Eminem I still like his lyrics on the song. I even think he had a better verse than Nas!

What do y'all think?

I bought the cd this weekend I have listened to non-stop! Great stuff! Some of my fav: "Roc Boys", "No Hook", "I Know", "Success", "Fallin" (JD overdone himself on this beat), "Blue Magic"...

About "Success". It's the second track Jay-z and Nas have worked on together! Which one do you guys like the most? At the moment I'm feeling "Success" more. I like "Black Republicans" but "Success" is pure fire. Eventhough Jay bites some lines from Eminem I still like his lyrics on the song. I even think he had a better verse than Nas!

What do y'all think?

Google earth Nas man...he's got flats in other continents :lolsign: