JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nas' next album title

Silver Tiger

Nas names new CD after racial epithet

10/19/2007 8:30 PM, AP

Nekesa Mumbi Moody

To some, it's a hurtful racial epithet. For Nas, it's an album title. The rapper told MTV News that he would indeed be naming his new album after the N-word. And he denied earlier reports that the album's title would be spelled "N---a," considered in some circles a less inflammatory epithet. He said the disc is due out Dec. 11.

"(People) shouldn't trip off the (album's) title; the songs are crazier than the title," he said in an interview posted on MTV's Web site.

But some have been outraged by the rapper's choice.

"The title using the 'N' word is morally offensive and socially distasteful. Nas has the right to degrade and denigrate in the name of free speech, but there is no honor in it," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said in a news release. "Radio and television stations have no obligation to play it and self-respecting people have no obligation to buy it. I wish he would use his talents to lift up and inspire, not degrade."

There were reports that his label, Def Jam, had scuttled the title idea. But Nas told MTV that he has had no opposition from the label, and said his intent in naming the album the N-word was to take the sting out of it.

"We're taking power from the word," he added. "No disrespect to none of them who were part of the civil rights movement, but some ... in the streets don't know who (civil rights activist) Medgar Evers was ... they know who Nas is," the rapper said, referring to the civil rights leader slain in the 1960s.

"And to my older people who don't know who Nas is and who don't know what a street disciple is, stay outta this (expletive) conversation. We'll talk to you when we're ready. Right now, we're on a whole new movement. We're taking power from that word."

A representative for Def Jam did not immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment from The Associated Press sent after business hours.

The use of the N-word is common in rap, though rapper Chamillionaire recently declared he would no longer use that word or curse in his rhymes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd personally prefer he didn't, I'm sure the label is thinking the same thing. I think the big retailers won't even sell the album with that name. I think there's a good chance it ends up getting changed, but you never know. What do you guys think?

God Blessa!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 2Pac had an Album called "Strictly 4 My N.*.*.*.*.Z...

...Personally, I really don't mind, as long as the music's good. But yea, I think in the end, they might decide that the Negative Press just might not be worth it...

Edited by Vipa

I kinda like this....the word has been debated and attracted so much controversy in the recent past that it cannot be ignored. And having a album title marking the hot button issue is a rather clever socio political statement. I personally dislike the word, I wish it weren't an issue, but since it is we need people addressing it. And I know Fox news and Bill O'Reilly are just waiting to pounce on this....but that was exactly the kind of heated rage and debate Public Enemy,Dead Prez etc have wanted to spark. So I am excited yet a little apprehensive, because just like his album title Nas needs to choose his words very carefully or otherwise he could be bombarded with negative energy from all directions.

i mean, this will definatly be a highly talked about cd, thats if the name stays the same. especially the 'er' and not 'a' aspect of the word. i mean you need a reason to name it that, which im sure he does. but like, it better be something that will change everything you know what i mean? i have a feelign that stores like target wont hold it, or if they do they will have a slip of paper covering the word but you can take it off when you open the wrapping (ive seen that before). so i mean, if its that title, i might feel weird going to buy a cd titled "ni**er."

lets see how it pans out

EDIT: so i just learned that columbia made him change the title, says my friend.

Edited by Mike

I remember Nas wanted to originally title "Hip-Hop Is Dead" as "N***er" but Def Jam stopped him from doing it, the same thing'll probably happen again

Yeah, i think this is old newz or recycled newz. Hip-Hop Is Dead waz originally titled this. I think 99% of the time, that word is used in an ignorant way and it's inappropriate. Most of the people who use it ignorant themselves. I gained alot of respect for Nas on the last album, i really hope he isn't trying 2 use this as a title again. I just think it's stupid.

Controversy sells...looks like Nas is crying for attention to sell his record! Very sad day for hip hop, when a legend like Nas goes that way, i guess hip hop is really dead.

Bill Cosby:

The n-word was, and still is, a very hateful word. It was at the forefront of the civil rights movement. That word stripped black people of their humanity, and made them second class citizens

EDIT: so i just learned that columbia made him change the title, says my friend.

this album will have no ties, financially or contractually to columbia. LA reid (of Def Jam that will release the album) was just shown supporting the title of the album, "and anything our artists do. Nas is prophetic and whatever it will be it will be smart."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572402/20071019/nas.jhtml

I, while I don't use nor support the word, think it's genius of Nas. As he said in an interview, it's obviously going to be intelligent, focused stuff.

It also keeping him relevant in hip hop today. I mean, most guys his age have to sit back and accept people not talking about them anymore.

I think it's also interesting because Jermaine Dupri was interviewed by MTV today and he said that Nas initially approached him about being a little more radio friendly for this album months ago, but since has completely abandoned that for an album with meaning.

should be interesting....and ya, 50 cent, king of controversy....move aside.

(50 was quoted today by hiphopdx.com saying "Nas sucks. What's the point of that being a title?")