JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Seven Pounds" is next.

Radewart

I think he did a good job, not great, but good. I really liked Pursuit of Happyness and I can't wait to see what they're doing with this pic.

Anyway, @ Tim, others... seems like that 'Clint Howl' project WAS 'Seven Pounds,' same filming and release date for both projects. Both @ Sony. Yh, it defo is one and the same pic...

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are taking it too far... haven't the majority of the few drama movies Will has done been Oscar material... Ali, Pursuit of Happyness... The only one that sucked was Bagger Vance, and for obvious reasons. The negativity has gone overboard. This is the same thing we went through with POH, people whining about the director, people whining about Jaden being cast, people whining about Will only doing dramas for oscars. This movie hasn't even started filming and people are whining... Let's pump our collective brakes and see how things turn out. There is no point in jumping to conclusions off of the minute amount of information we have.

I disagree, it was not Will's movies that were oscar material, it was his own performance.

The chances of this movie getting a best pic nomination are very slim.

That's the thing, Will has been nominated TWICE, and never won. Yes the competition

has been strong, but the main reason Will didn't win an oscar (besides the political racism at the oscars) is because the quality of the movie couldn't back up his performance.People that get Oscars usually have a great movie. POH was not great, it was decent, good. Oscar material ? Hardly.

Of course, time will tell. Let's hope he made the right decision.

I disagree, it was not Will's movies that were oscar material, it was his own performance.

The chances of this movie getting a best pic nomination are very slim.

That's the thing, Will has been nominated TWICE, and never won. Yes the competition

has been strong, but the main reason Will didn't win an oscar (besides the political racism at the oscars) is because the quality of the movie couldn't back up his performance.People that get Oscars usually have a great movie. POH was not great, it was decent, good. Oscar material ? Hardly.

Of course, time will tell. Let's hope he made the right decision.

While Will's performances stood out, those were great movies, and we have to remember that there are a finite number of nominees every year. As it stands, Ali and POH stood better chances of being nominated for Oscars than Independence Day and MIB. It's funny because there is such a split... some fans want to only see the blockbuster action movies, or comedies... others have been complaining for years that he needs to diversify his roles and take on more dramas... now that he's taken on more serious roles, people still aren't happy.

As for Will being nominated TWICE and not winning, have we so quickly forgotten how long it took Denzel to win an Oscar? Malcolm X was an outstanding movie, and Denzel's acting was excellent... how did that go? The fact that Will hasn't won an Oscar yet isn't an indictment of the movies he has done... he's only done a few serious movies for goodness sakes. Most actors do several before they even get proper notice, which indicates that Will isn't nearly as "average" an actor as some have made him out to be (even people on this forum) and that the movies he has done aren't simply "decent."

Like I said earlier, lets wait and see what these movies turn out to be like... People are doing so much complaining now, there won't be much to talk about in the movie threads if the movies turn out to be like what people expect... I would think people would have learned to reserve judgement after POH...

Edited by MaxFly

While Will's performances stood out, those were great movies, and we have to remember that there are a finite number of nominees every year. As it stands, Ali and POH stood better chances of being nominated for Oscars than Independence Day and MIB. It's funny because there is such a split... some fans want to only see the blockbuster action movies, or comedies... others have been complaining for years that he needs to diversify his roles and take on more dramas... now that he's taken on more serious roles, people still aren't happy.

:yeahthat: :iagree:

You took the words out of my mouth, Max! :thumbsup:

I loved WWW when most people didn't. I love whatever Will does, regardless the outcome.

But it's not about what I want, it's about the concept. I'm pretty sure Will is doing this more for the oscars than he is doing it to become a better all around actor. I love Will but the man has all the talent in the world to receive an oscar, and he deserves it too. BUT, when you look at Will's movies, I love all of 'em, but you can't tell me one movie that could go in the top 200 movies ever.Again, i'm not talking about Will's performance, but the movies he's been in. Maybe MIB is considered unique and fits in that category of best ever movies, but it sure isn't a lot. And when Will is regarded as the most bankable actor in Hollywood, you wonder why he doesn't work with the best of the best that often. He's worked with the best around the 90's and in 2001, but after that he's worked with medicore directors, producers. I'd love for once that he works with the likes of Ridley Scott, Paul Greengrass, Christopher Nolan.My problem isn't with Will's acting, it's with the team he's working with in the past couple years, the quality level hasn't been very high when you compare it to the ID4, Enemy of the State, MIB movies. Again, I'll be there opening day and I'll buy his DVD's regardless of how dissapointing it may be, but I'd love for once that he starts working with those A list directors, producers in the future, he hasn't worked with them much or at all for the past years. Look at Denzel, look at the upcoming movie, American Gangster. I just want him to star in those movies with those directors. That's all.

I think Will Smith doesn't need to work with famous directors to make good movies. Like I said, POH was a great movie for me and it wasn't directed by a famous director. Now everyone knows Gabriele Muccino and, most important, Will wants to work with him again. Why? Because he likes playing serious roles, he feels confortable and, why not, he thinks it's the correct way to get the Oscar. There's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Anyways it's his career, it's his life. He has to do what he wants to do, and we have to be happy with that. :thumbsup:

• Admin

You guys are taking it too far... haven't the majority of the few drama movies Will has done been Oscar material... Ali, Pursuit of Happyness... The only one that sucked was Bagger Vance, and for obvious reasons. The negativity has gone overboard. This is the same thing we went through with POH, people whining about the director, people whining about Jaden being cast, people whining about Will only doing dramas for oscars. This movie hasn't even started filming and people are whining... Let's pump our collective brakes and see how things turn out. There is no point in jumping to conclusions off of the minute amount of information we have.

hang on.. Ali was never nominated for best film..pursuit of happyness was never nominated for best film.. only Will's performance.. thats the problem with these movies.. they were "good" not "great" If Will is going to do drama's he needs to select better directors..why not go after the very best?

• Admin

I loved WWW when most people didn't. I love whatever Will does, regardless the outcome.

But it's not about what I want, it's about the concept. I'm pretty sure Will is doing this more for the oscars than he is doing it to become a better all around actor. I love Will but the man has all the talent in the world to receive an oscar, and he deserves it too. BUT, when you look at Will's movies, I love all of 'em, but you can't tell me one movie that could go in the top 200 movies ever.Again, i'm not talking about Will's performance, but the movies he's been in. Maybe MIB is considered unique and fits in that category of best ever movies, but it sure isn't a lot. And when Will is regarded as the most bankable actor in Hollywood, you wonder why he doesn't work with the best of the best that often. He's worked with the best around the 90's and in 2001, but after that he's worked with medicore directors, producers. I'd love for once that he works with the likes of Ridley Scott, Paul Greengrass, Christopher Nolan.My problem isn't with Will's acting, it's with the team he's working with in the past couple years, the quality level hasn't been very high when you compare it to the ID4, Enemy of the State, MIB movies. Again, I'll be there opening day and I'll buy his DVD's regardless of how dissapointing it may be, but I'd love for once that he starts working with those A list directors, producers in the future, he hasn't worked with them much or at all for the past years. Look at Denzel, look at the upcoming movie, American Gangster. I just want him to star in those movies with those directors. That's all.

quoted for truth :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Not to bash Wil,l but he has a pretty big say on the "ins and outs" of what happens in a movie he makes, espically since he's a producer on most of them. Big name directors want to call their own shots and make the decisions, and not have interference. Someone like Muccino will pretty much let Will decide things and change around the script and such.

While I don't consider Gabriele Muccino mediocre, I also agree that he should work more with different directors, also looking for the best. 'I, Robot' could've been a memorable movie, Alex Proyas is a great filmmaker (just watch 'The Crow' and 'Dark City'), but... well, Fox isn't the most supportive studio in Hollywood. I've also interviewed Proyas, good guy, agreed in a second to do an interview (per mail).

• Admin

Not to bash Wil,l but he has a pretty big say on the "ins and outs" of what happens in a movie he makes, espically since he's a producer on most of them. Big name directors want to call their own shots and make the decisions, and not have interference. Someone like Muccino will pretty much let Will decide things and change around the script and such.

That's an excellent point. You will find Will's best movies have been with directors who challenge Will and disagree with him! He had huge fights with tenant..but Hitch turned out well.. same with Bay and Bad Boys II..another good job.. someone like sonnenfield and muccino will just agree with Will & co

the problem is, most people on this board are hung up on will smith the musical performer, those days are over, raps pretty much a dead genre for now, you've just got to let it go and accept will smith the actor now.