JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Both "Graduation" and "Curtis" Leak

Bob

Timbaland is an originator. Reguardless of people's opinions of his music, he's always been an originator. His sound has been imitated (but never duplicated) since the late 90's. He's stayed fresh over the years. How many producers can u think of who have kept doing their thing since 1996? Commerically Jermaine Dupri is the only one who comes 2 mind. More on the Hip-Hop side of things, DJ Premier, DJ Jazzy Jeff, Dr. Dre (tho' most of that time has been dryspells), and Pete Rock are the only others doing their thing. Just Blaze, Scott Storch, Swizz Beats, and The Neptunes are all "new school." They have staying power 2 prove or they have dryspells and inconsistant sounds and success. Timbaland has kept the music coming in the mainstream and under the radar. Hundreds of talents go 2 him and rely on him for hits. On top of that, his a positive person who isn't wrapped up in the idea of fame and success AND, in my opinion, his solo albums (other than Shock Value) are some of the best Hip-Hop records done in the past decade.

Ain't nobody got anything on Timbaland. His longevity, staying power, talent, and originality are in a class all their own.

He was interviewed 3 months ago saying how he's too creative for the game and no one is on his level. He said that it's boring for him. To me he is the 50 cent of producers: egotistical...distinct in his sound, and repetitive in his technique...while limited in skill.

I haven't heard innovation for the last 5 years from Timbaland. I hear repetition. I hear deep bass sequences with a digitally enhanced snare. I hear no experimentation with sound but rather molding every new idea or old technique to this techno-based style Timbaland loves. He takes a rock band and shoves the bass on the drum way up...and then adds a couple snaps...maybe a swishing sound.

Yes, everyone goes to him for A SONG...but no one goes to him for AN ALBUM...because where a Pete Rock, a Kanye West, a Just Blaze, a Jonathan Rotem, a Jazzy Jeff, a Dr. Dre, a J. Dilla, a Scott Storch can produce a wide range of sounds and themes...Timbaland sticks with the one style.

I don't see any fresh style from a guy who puts the same fundamental sound on every track he does. He is very caught up in the fame and his own hype.

Also, his singles disrupt the flow of albums. If you look back, none of the candidates for last year's top Hip Hop albums had a Timbaland track. Nas, Game, and Jay-Z stayed away from the Timbaland sound. In doing so, the stayed away from conforming to the standard, uncreative movement to single over album.

And here's the dagger:

Timbaland knows one thing. Europe has it right regarding the most catchy, most despensable genre of music. It's techno and for that, yes his music gets played over and over, since the voice on the track is different. All he does is take the hottest thing in Germany...like the beats he admitted to have plagerized. So the time for people to become fed up takes longer, yet eventually that sound saturates the market.

Kanye almost did so, and then took a huge course in production by collaborating with that composer on his Late Registration album.

I think Timbaland is one of the most overrated producers to have stepped foot into the game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and just adds bass to everything he touches. his album was terrible....

I'll agree, he does add bass to everything, but the track with Fall Out Boy on his album is brilliant

but the track with Fall Out Boy on his album is brilliant

I completely disagree...that's actually one of the tracks that I'd reference in my argument. It's a live band with a new sound (relatively) and Timbaland put claps, a deeper bass, and then used a flanger on their guitar. It's really basic and to me, not innovative. He really only did audio engineering on their usual style, with his technique. Production was very limited on that track. He really just adapts their sound to his, rather than the other way. Where a pete rock or will.i.am are versatile regardless of the artist, Timbaland stays relatively stagnant.

Ha, at least we can agree on that. I think that song with Fall Out Boy sucks. But i don't like Fall Out Boy so that didn't help much in the 1st place. But people are going 2 Timbaland 2 albums. Just ask Justin Timberlake + Nelly Furtado (2 of the biggest artists with 2 of the biggest albums of the past year). Aaliyah, Ginuwine, Missy, and LL Cool J have also benifited from his executive album producing. Omarion, Bobby Valentino, and Pussycat Dolls all had hits with him this past year. And the big names like Snoop Dogg, Nas, and Jay-Z have all gotten hits with Timbaland in the past. 2 me, Tim is in the in the longevity game alongside Jazzy, Premier, Jay-Dee, Jermaine Durpi.

Ha, at least we can agree on that. I think that song with Fall Out Boy sucks. But i don't like Fall Out Boy so that didn't help much in the 1st place. But people are going 2 Timbaland 2 albums. Just ask Justin Timberlake + Nelly Furtado (2 of the biggest artists with 2 of the biggest albums of the past year). Aaliyah, Ginuwine, Missy, and LL Cool J have also benifited from his executive album producing. Omarion, Bobby Valentino, and Pussycat Dolls all had hits with him this past year. And the big names like Snoop Dogg, Nas, and Jay-Z have all gotten hits with Timbaland in the past. 2 me, Tim is in the in the longevity game alongside Jazzy, Premier, Jay-Dee, Jermaine Durpi.

Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado are the only two currently who will go to him for albums yet neither are hip hop artists. All the names you've mentioned have not done so in recent years. As I have said, within the last 5 years, nothing he's brought to the table has been innovative. Before that, definitely. He used to be so creative that no one really could even compare. Yet, in the last 5 years I've seen nothing but laziness on his behalf.

Yes, Nas, Snoop and Jay have gone to Timbo for songs in the past, yet they haven't worked with him recently. Jay was reluctant to get on anything Timbaland made last year, even for Timbo's own last album. He passed over the beat now used for "Ayo Technology" when recording "Kingdom Come" and basically was pleaded with by Timbo to get on a remix for Shock Value. Nas, after the one song in 1999 I believe, hasn't gone to Timbaland for anything.

The only Timbaland song I can honestly was somewhat creative in the recent past was probably Busta Rhymes "Get Down" just for the acoustic feel.

And yes, I don't enjoy fallout boy as well so it was tough enough to muster the strength to listen to such a collaboration ha.

apparently Kanye is outselling "fiddy" by 5 to 1 on pre orders in the uk :wiggle:

i don't know if Mr Cent is including the numbers from the UK in his little, i'll retire if i don't beat kanye' thing

I think this is the most manufactured beef hip-hop has ever seen. People are so stupid, number one they performed together and number two they did the latest Rolling Stones magazine cover together. Ridiculous.

I don't think that this has been made out to be a beef at all... a competition, yes. A beef... no. To my knowledge, neither Kanye no wack rapper #1 has spoken too negatively about the other. I'd almost be willing to call it a friendly competition.