JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

RICHEST RAPPERS

FP gets 20 million for just doing a movie. How can all of these "rappers" be making more than him?? I think they are looking over him since he released no album or becuz they are overshadowing his status as an emcee with the blockbuster movies.

---------------------------------------------------------

Jay-Z Tops Forbes Rap 'Kings' List

By Christine Kearney,Reuters

Posted: 2007-08-17 06:58:43

Filed Under: Celebrity News, Music News

NEW YORK (Aug. 17) - Hip-hop star Jay-Z's talent for extending beyond rap to the executive worlds of music, fashion and other businesses has earned him the top spot on Forbes magazine's "Hip-Hop Cash Kings" list.

Forbes Thursday said Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter, raked in $34 million in 2006, the year he released a comeback album "Kingdom Come."

But the boyfriend of pop singer Beyonce earned much of that income as chief executive of New York-based Def Jam Recordings, owner of a sports bar franchise and holder of endorsements deals with Budweiser, Hewlett-Packard and General Motors, Forbes said.

In March, Jay-Z, 36, sold his Rocawear fashion label for $204 million -- a sum that will again place him high up in the music world's earnings for 2007.

Coming in at No. 2 was rapper 50 Cent, a.k.a Curtis Jackson. He earned $32 million from his music and businesses such as a record label, video games and a line of books, the survey said.

Diddy -- real name Sean Combs -- came in third. He owns the Sean John clothing label and a cologne that he licensed to Estee Lauder. He also is an MTV television producer. Timbaland, whose real name is Timothy Mosley, was No. 4 with earnings of $21 million from collaborations and running Mosley Music Group.

Dr. Dre, a.k.a. Andre Young, grabbed fifth place with $20 million from ventures that include running Aftermath Entertainment, followed by Eminem at No. 6, who brought in $18 million, and Snoop Dogg at No. 7, who earned $17 million.

Forbes associate editor Lea Goldman said the hip-hop stars are "masters at branding and cross-promotion" so that "they're still making a killing as the rest of the music industry suffers."

"They get that it's not just about selling albums, but about selling a lifestyle," she said. "So they've plowed their earnings into media empires that include their own record labels, clothing lines, restaurants and bars."

Grammy award winner Kanye West was No. 8 with $17 million followed by Pharrell Williams, who has his own sneaker and clothing lines, and Scott Storch, a former keyboardist with the Roots turned hip-hop and pop writer and producer. Both also earned $17 million.

let's be real though... these guys are trying to make all of this money, Will isn't... he doesn't have deals with clothing companies, own/run a massive record label for the money... if his objective was to make as much money as possible, hw would be making double any of the people on those lists

Well I don't think Will's gonna lose any sleep over not being on this list, I find it wack that people care more about what rapper makes the most money than who puts out the most quality, that's why the rap game is the way it is right now :thumbdown:

i heard It Is What It Is and it's not 6 mins long and Cassidy doesn't shout Will Smith

the one on his mixtape yes it is cause he shouts out every rapper and at the end he shouts out almost every rapper outta philly and Will Smith is one of them, and Will Smith isnt on this list because he didnt really do that much in '06 that is what this list was who made the most money in '06, but all the people on that lst deserve to be on it because they are all true bussiness men

• Admin

Well I don't think Will's gonna lose any sleep over not being on this list, I find it wack that people care more about what rapper makes the most money than who puts out the most quality, that's why the rap game is the way it is right now :thumbdown:

Ted you talk a lot of sense.. what you been up to, how's life?

Ted you talk a lot of sense.. what you been up to, how's life?

Life's good for me right now, been working a lot recently so I haven't had much time to come on here as much as I used to

I just happened to watch this last nite. Nah Turntable, they counted movie money. They included Ice Cube, Outkast, Eminem, and 50. I don't know why Will wasn't on the list. I thought maybe it was the most recent and most rich in 2006. Or maybe they were truly stupid and didn't research enough and forgot his name. The list is obvious to be honest. I was surprised to see Lil Jon, Swiss Beats, Pharell, and Scott Storch. It must be nice to a millionaire when your music isn't selling too much of anything nowadays.

well lil jon was the first indie rapper to go platnium, Pharell produces the Clipse one of the hottest rap groups out, and Swiss Beats has about 1 track on every cd now, and scott storch i really don't like but they are all sellin beats.