JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I want to pull the trigger on Hip Hop

I have been going through song after song tonight. The good and the bad of hip hop. Let me be clear right away- there is a lot of quality stuff out there right now, I know this. My beef lies in what's popular right now (or even not so popular as demonstrated by today's declining rap sales). We can say all we want that it don't matter what sells if we still get our quality music but that theory is garbage, really. When what we like sells then what we like gets better production and promotion.

My language is a little rough for this board and even me (this is what happens to an angry, tired hip hop fan at 2am) so just note that before going on.

I used to see Ja Rule as everything that was wrong with hip hop.

Then it became 50 Cent.

My beef is LIL' WAYNE. I've never hated a rapper so much. Best ****ing rapper alive? lil' Wayne makes Ja Rule look like a rap God. When a stupid kid says something stupid, it's usually okay because people will make fun of him for it but I think we've got a problem when 89% of BET's viewers believe he is the best rapper alive. He says he's the best rapper to date.... he says he's the best rapper there has ever been... and people give this confused mother effer props like he deserves anything short of the type of violence he claims to be associated with.

I've never been so confused as to why people like a rapper so much. What about these lyrics give anyone the impression that they're listening to greatness?:

I rekindle the flame

She remember the name

It's Weezy Baby January December the same

Mama gimme that brain

Mama gimme that good

Cause I'm the fireman

You hear the firetruck

I think I've got his style down to a science: mumble whatever broken thought that crosses through your head and repeat a word for the hook. His flow sounds like a long, stuttering "Uhhhh." It seems like people are really diggin rap that's easy for them to learn. The little yellow rap bus is gettin shorter and shorter.

Can y'all help me out on this? I. REALLY. DON'T. UNDERSTAND. Why does the dude get so much respect? Even people that claim not to like him always acknowledge somewhere that he can spit. What happened to anything resembling standards? Dude is lowering the bar. I don't think being from the south gives you the right to put a handicapped pass on your rear view mirror. If there's any Wayne fans in here I'd love to hear what makes him so good because I'm sure I could name some of the most talent-challenged rappers out there that piss all over Mr. Weezy.

He isn't rapping about anything special and when he raps it falls far short of anything special. He's a summarization of everything wrong with the game now, only his negative impact is highlighted by the fact that he's so popular. If he isn't the definition of Lost then I don't know who possibly is.

I feel like people have given up on Hip Hop and I hate them for it. I could never really see myself "pulling the trigger on Hip Hop" when there is still quality music coming out. People make it easy to load the gun and cock it though.

I apologize for any ranting that may have occurred. I am a tired, amazing man.

Make it rain some talent on these labels.

God Blessa!

Silver Tiger, while things are frustrating...realize this. Their truely is 2 different genres. True Hip-Hop and Commercial Rap. Hip-Hop is never changing, always honest, always real, always fun, and usually quality. Commercial Rap is trendy crap that usually isn't any good. Realize that true Hip-Hop music is doing fine. The music that mostly gets radio play is garbage and embarassing. Let your frustration stop with that. I can totally identify with u on what u are feeling. Lil' Wayne has been a hot mess since he released his 1st single.

:werd:

Also remember that when it comes to commercial rap, popular artists and trends die out. Hammer was all pop and dance and hype, no real skills even when he tried to be "gangsta". He was leading the "dance rap" craze until gangsta rap took over, then everyone started copying Dre and Snoop Dogg. The south may be on top now, but the public will get tired of it and move on and Wayne will be gone.

I feel you on that, I even point it out EVERY TIME I tell someone what kind of music I like. I say I like Hip Hop- butnotwhatyouhearonMTVandBET. No matter who they are. I'm tired of defending Hip Hop. It's a game of finding the next gimmick right now. I know the difference between Hip Hop and rap but most people don't and wouldn't care if you told them because you're insulting the songs they listen to. So it blows my mind when people say that lil' Wayne is the best rapper alive. His remedial songs are better than Lupe Fiasco's songs? You can debate who's got the catchier song but you just can't debate who the BETTER rapper and it ain't Wayne.

I feel like an elitist when I hear people my age claiming what Wayne does as skills. I can't be that snobby on the subject. I'm beginning to hate the generation for their embrace of ignorance. I go to college and I feel like I'm one of the last people who should be there seeing as I have no major and no drive to pick one- but I manage to find people less deserving (in my mind at least) when I hear them give him props as a good rapper. See, I've already come to the conclusion that there's Hip Hop and there's rap. Rap has got a choke hold on the industry (a slowly loosening choke albeit) and it's at the cost of Hip Hop's limelight. As a result Hip Hop is suffering. LL is riding with G-Unit, KRS ONE and Will give 50 props (whether or not we can see in his mind to know exactly what he thinks, he's given the "props" and had him "help" his nephew with his music), and people give lil' Wayne the title of "The Best Rapper." It's like we've been fed so much trash that he featured on the most songs wins.

Wayne is an insult to my intelligence.

God Blessa!

Edited by Silver Tiger

Lil wayne baby!!!!!!!!!!, lol, the best rapper alive? please......... the truth is that hes not even good enough to me me get sick as he did to u. People, this forum is getting really annoyed with this type of rappers, and believe me, we shouldnt be. Every single person is entitled to sing the way they do. To get money and to say and believe they are great even when theyr not. We need to get real. All of the lil´'s, all of them young´s, all of them new rappers are the ones people are liking right now, and theres nothing we can do by hatin, by cursing them, by saying all the bad things we think and know about them, because it only feeds them and make them get mo money.

pulling the trigger on that music? nah man, we should give our support to the music that really matters, to the music we can really call hip hop. Being positive and talking about the positive stuff thats really happening somewhere in all this darkness is what is gonna bring hip hop back. Nas said hip hop is dead. Its not!, but he didnt help people know it. He just made people think that hip hop is really dead and made people get more and more confortable with this new sucky thing we call commercial.

Jazzy tried to bring it back, he couldnt make it because he made the same mistake we are making. Lets try to point out whats good about things, lets not throw the towel this quickly, lets give rap a last breath, help it come back and give support and comment and talk about rappers that really count. Talking about the lil's and the young's only make them stronger, just remember that. Dont get mad, just get glad this is not over yet.

I said I could never really give up on Hip Hop as long as there is quality music coming out. What you're saying is nice but it just isn't feasible for a person in my position. I agree with you completely, he can say whatever garbage he wants- my problem comes when the majority of people echo his words as facts.

What you're saying- just do you, enjoy what you like- I've been doing that and will continue to do so. My problem is that what I like is getting second string treatment. I've seen that if I blast quality music, people do take note, they ask who that is playing- I tell them, but that's not enough. Some of the worst music is considered better than music made with heart.

Really, the original post was just a major vent for me. People are just the radio's sheep and blah, blah, blah. The major reason I'm so upset about all of this is that I feel like we're dumbing ourselves down like never before and I don't understand why people are so eager to do so.

Yeah, lil' Wayne's stuff is what's hot right now, I just want the real heavy-hitter music to take the hot spot back.

God Blessa!

It will man, it will, just give it time, this guys are drowning themselves drop by drop. I just hope they leave something for real rap when it comes back.

A lot people don't even think about the lyrics. They just bump it if it's catchy and has a hot beat. Even though it's trash. :thumbdown:

I agree though, Lil Wayne is getting really annoying. :nhawong:

For some people its all about the beat, other like the video, and who can blame them because they actually selling the stuff that sells, lots of money, xpensive alcohol and hot easy lookin girls dancin and looking dumb troughout the video.

They show and sing about the things the average american dude cant even imagine of getting even though they want to. That opens their imagination to think that they are actually kells being a flirt and having a bunch of girls in the vip room of a famous club in LA. Before we used to hear: throw ur hands in the air like u just dont care. Now we see: throw ur money in the air cause we just dont care.

And thats not new, Dre invented that, and people like it theres no discussion about it. But what can we be sure of? we can be sure that in a couple of months they wont even remember the name of the song they suppousely liked so much but they will always remember the ones who really had thought, the ones we cannot forget and get even more famous dont matter if the singer dies or stop rapping.

Im talking about quality gentleman, and we cannot and must not stop fighting to bring it back to the radio, and to the billboards. We simply must not..

Exactly. A lot of people are just frontin on themselves. But really they're gettin fronted at the same time.

Big Mansion? Rented

Million Dollar Cars? RENTED

Raining Cash? You can bet that skinny little punk scrammed to pick it all up once the director yelled "CUT!"

All I'm hearing about is what people got. Clothing labels and car companies get a bunch of free plugs. And every song has the same stuff. It's a culture completely devoid of variety on the commercial side. This is the side of rap that I can't relate to. I'm not gonna front and sing about things I don't have. I want people to go out and be something rather than singing like they are. I've got the whole "I am Hip Hop" vibe emitting from me right now. I'm very engrossed in the culture, the good and bad. If I'm true to my word, I'm naturally going to call out the bad.

You've got a good head on you VIsqo and usually I'm more laid back about the subject but I feel like I've been fed the crap too much and I need to vent.

God Blessa!

I grew up with Cash money and No Limit... Before the south was "pop" like you say.. Lil'Wayne have skills.. Not the greatest rapper alive, but a decent one.. HE does rap about money and Bling Bling(The term Cash Money brought on the world), but alot about serious things to.. ST, you hate Ja and 50... They hate eachother. Somebody hates you, somebody hates those who hates you.. But that dont make you wack as a MC does it? Dont hate the person..Hate The songs.. You cant say you havent bumped in da club or some of Ja's records.. But back to topic.. Wayne does have a crazy flow.. Listen to his old songs... Be openminded people.. dont say yes you agree to every hating topic on this board.. Thats all it is... Every topic on this board is about other rappers and how bad they are.. Nothing positive..

Peace