JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BRANDY: HER STORY EXPOSED

BRANDY: Her 'Story' Exposed

Posted Jun 11th 2007 1:19PM by Karu F. Daniels

Filed under: Entertainment Newswire

By Karu F. Daniels, AOL Black Voices

If you think you've known Brandy, you haven't seen anything yet.

The BV Newswire has learned that the former multimedia superstar will be the subject of an E! channel expose which will detail how she went from singing in a Mississippi church to rise to international stardom. The show also talks in detail about her professional ups and downs.

"Brandy: The E! True Hollywood Story" will premiere June 23 at 6pm et/pt on E!

Following in the path of a niche that was carved out by late hip-hop soul starlet Aaliyah, Brandy Ryanna Norwood stormed the music scene with her infectious pop and soul sensibilities. Previously known as a TV actress (on ABC's short-lived sitcom 'Thea'), the camera-ready musical prodigy seemed poised for mainstream success -- which she did achieve with a string of chart-topping singles, including 'Baby,' 'I Wanna Be Down' and 'Brokenhearted.'

From there, the precocious teen morphed into a superstar -- with a starring role in the TV show ('Moesha'), a CoverGirl contract, movie roles ('Cinderella' and 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer,' respectively) and a Mattel doll. She garnered a Grammy Award for the record-breaking hit single duet 'The Boy Is Mine' (with Monica).

Along the way, she dealt with personal insecurities, a string of high-profile relationships (with then sought after black, rich young bachelors Kobe Bryant, Wanya Morris, Mase, and Quentin Richardson), and tragic loss including her involvement in the highly-publicized car accident that resulted in a fatality last December.

On the show, close associates, co-stars and industry colleagues sit with E! to disclose the personal and professional ups and downs of the young star, who when life spun out of control, never lost sight of her dream.

Some highlights below...

Producer Chris Stokes on the fatal car accident -- "I was just so overwhelmed and so sorry for the family and so sorry for Brandy. I was completely a loss for words."

'Moesha' co-star Sheryl Lee Ralph on the fatal car accident – "I do not believe that Brandy got up, got in her car with the intention to hit somebody."

Producer Mike City on Brandy's debut album – "To find out that she was only 14 years old, it sounded like she was 24. I was like this is crazy."

Former 'Vibe' magazine chief Emil Wilbekin on Brandy's mother taking over as her manager – "Sonja is definitely a pit bull, but I think she at the end of the day has Brandy's best interest at heart."

'Moesha' producer Ralph Farguhar on Brandy's initial reading for the show – "She was horrible. I called up my wife, I said 'I'm dead. I just sold the network a bag of smoke.'"

Sheryl Lee Ralph on show fans during their cross-country tour – "Oh we got trampled with the police and everything, everybody trying to get us to safety. It was just Moesha madness."

'Moesha' co-star Countess Vaughn on rumors of her fighting with Brandy – "What really pissed me off was because we were 15 years old, and these adults were coming in on an argument that would've blown over, but it didn't because of the outside and the media."

'Moesha' co-star Shar Jackson on Brandy's hectic schedule – " It got to a point where I'd see her, we'd spend the whole day together, and the only thing I saw her eat was a trail mix or something."

Sheryl Lee Ralph on Brandy's breakdown – "She just flat passed out. She was exhausted. She just passed out. That was it, boom."

Countess Vaughn on Brandy giving birth to daughter Sy'rai – "I believe it changed her life. She really brought something out of Brandy."

Shar Jackson on tragic death of co-star Merlin Santana in 2002 – "It hit her hard. It his us all really, really hard, but we were all there and being really, really supportive of each other."

Shar Jackson on tragic death of co-star Lamont Bentley in 2005 – "Losing Lamont, we're still not through that."

Music super-producer David Foster on Brandy – "She definitely caught lightning in a bottle and beat the odds because there's so many actors that are actors because the singing thing didn't work out, but she is one of the few that made the cross."

Through archival footage, Brandy also speaks on her relationships.

About her mother, she said, ""People hate on my mom so much, like they say, 'Well, Brandy's mom needs to let her grow up.' And sometimes she can be like a little over protective, but I don't know what I would do without her."

About the faux marriage to producer Robert Smith -- her daughter's father, she said, "Unfortunately, I didn't have the love so I had to be brave and say this is not where I want to be. I'm not happy. I need to move on."

About breaking up with Morris, who is believed to be her first love, she shared, "It's kind of hard because that was my only boyfriend in the whole world, so I'm still getting over him. I still can think about it and cry."