JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Music sterotypes

Why is it that everytime you mention ''Hip hop'' to people they automaticly think of artists like Eminem and 50 Cent instead of real artist like Run-DMC, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince, Tupac, LL Cool J etc

and everytime you mention ''Pop'' to people they automaticly think of artists like The Backstreet boys instead of real artists like Michael Jackson

That's just a little pet peeve of mine. Especially the Hip hop thing cause i really wish that the general public would understand that not every rapper is like 50 Cent

True dat...or that there is more to rap/hip-hop then the materialistic, violent and sexual content that is promoted in both music and in videos. I'm hesitant to say I like hip-hop to some people because I don't want to be judged by what they see/hear about it. I was proud to wear my rap t-shirts back in the day, now I don't want to be associated with what "hip-hop" is associated with.

Another reason to "bring `88 back".

fair play. I'm happy to say i like Hip-Hop but generally go on to mention what sort of artists im into. I'll be repping band T-shirts all the time. Although the only Hip-Hop ones i have are Run DMC and JJFP.

I don't know that people really associate artists with a genre...i think people associate the stereotype of the KIND of artists that get success in a genre. And like it's been said, it depends on who u ask. Some people are truely fans of music. They buy albums, listen 2 lyrics and so on. Some people just listen 2 the radio and watch MTV and they think that makes them a music fan, which i wouldn't agree with.

And i don't think anyone who is actually a true music fan would associate 50 Cent with Hip-Hop. These days, even non-Hip-Hop fans know there is a difference between Hip-Hop and Rap. I thin most people think old school when they hear Hip-Hop. When they hear Rap, i think they think of the top 20 people.

When i think of pop, i don't think of Backstreet Boys...maybe i would have 7 years ago. But i do think of Britney. I've always considered MJ R-N-B...reguardless of the title King of Pop, i think many people would agree with that. Pop isn't even really a sound...it's just music that's popular reguardless of the genre. Sometimes Pop music is good, sometimes it's bad.

Emo is a term that has changed drastically. Nowadays its not really even a genre but is basically pop-punk/post-harcdcore rock music with string vocals. Most of the stuff in the charts is poor but there are some good bands allegedly in this genre.