JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Our TROTM Reviews!

Hero1

Ok here's my review -

I'm not usually one to complain about the state of hip hop.Admitted commercial rap is often wack. There are too many dope albums from the middle school era and contemporary underground that I have yet to acquire. Even so, I love this album more than anything I've heard for a long time. The Magnificent was a great underground album, classic if I may say so myself...But this new album not only crosses over to old-skool heads and nineties enthusiasts but also quality wise surpasses "The Magnificent".

So let's go track by track-

Hip Hop

After establishing the underlined story line behind the skits in the album for about one and a half minutes a smooth beat with scratchings of Common saying "Hip Hop" kicks in. This one dope beat. Twone Gabz, being a previously unknown rapper with, does not disappoint. Interesting perspectives are offered by him about hip hop and the black community. 8.5/10

Let Me Hear You Clap

The beat isn't extraordinary, but it serves it's purpose laying a back drop for Pas to deliver his witty and playful lines. A dope track which could have been better...but was great nontheless.7.5/10

Run That Back

I have Black Ice's album and think it's quite dope but I think that his lines on this track are his dopest and he flows more like a rapper that a spoken word poet which enables a better listening experience. Speaking of listening experience, this has an amazing beat. Eshon Burgundy holds his own too!The lyrics are simple yet intelligent and above all heat felt. This song gave me goosebumps...10/10

Definition

So Jazzy Jeff and Kel Spencer?...dope, what did you expect? This should give Kel some much needed recognition. A smooth laid-back track complimented by Kel's unique style. Feels really good first thing in the morning! 8.5/10

Touch Me With Ur Hands

A really dope laid back beat! Something I could have imagined Baby Blakk and Pauly Yamz ripping up. While I'm not averse to the idea of it being an RnB/neo soul track, I'm not really a big fan of the vocals...but it's a dope track if your in the mood for it. 7.5/10

Jeff N Fess

Nice beat with a very old skool feel to it.They reuse a sample used for a old Gangstarr track and Rhymefest drops some lines quoting it....they could have called this "Words I Manifest 2k7". I like Rhymefest and although his voice is a little hard to get used to - after a while and a few listens I find myself liking this track more and more and sometimes even singing along. 8.5/10

Practice

This should be a critics favorite. A great laid back and varying beat while J Live delivers intelligent and wise lines. The chorus is a little hard to get used to, but you have to appreciate how creative it is. 9/10

Supa Jean

I'm actually a fan of Jean Grae...although shes a relatively unknown rapper I have one of her albums. Jazzy Jeff drops an old skool beat as Jean drops great party rhymes yet avoids any modern day cliches associated with party rap. I simply love this one. 9/10

The Garden

Smooth summery beat, one of the best on the album. Big Daddy Kane lives up to his legendary status and drops wisdom and yet displays his skill with the best of his ability. This song acts as Big Daddy Kanes open letter to Hip Hop.Amazing. 10/10

She Was So Fly

Nice smooth beat...but Kardinal Officiall jumps on it with full energy, kinda clashes yet works in a weird way. I love the hook on this! And there are some great lines here...8/10

Hold It Down

Being a fan of Method Man, I think this is one of the best tacks he's had for a while. The beat has a soulful sample yet had hardcore feel to it, something like Just Blaze. Great scratching. Method Man drops some forgettable lines but rhymes and flows as amazingly as ever.8/10

All I Know

One word...classic! CL Smooth does what he does best dropping smooth and wise lines over great sounding beats. The beat is sort of reminiscent of Pete Rock. One of those tracks you can listen to again and again! 10/10

Go See The Doctor 2k7

I'm actually a fan of Kool Moe Dee's original track and Twone Gabz drops funny lines serves as a worthy homage! A profound message instilled within the humor too. Jeff drops a funky beat making the listening experience dope too! 8.5/10

My Soul Ain't For Sale

My favorite track on the album...smooth, laid back and lyrically on point. Raheem DeVaughn's silky vocals act as a perfect compliment to Jeff's smooth beat.Listened to at least a hundred times.

Come On

Dave Ghetto being another relative unknown, lays yet another wisdom fueled lyrical affair over a beat using overly familiar sample.Inspiring.8.5/10

Brand New Funk 2k7

If homage had to be paid to an undisputed old skool classic, a cover song is usually disappointing. If you ask majority of the fans of the original song they will tell you no different. But in my opinion this isn't too bad.Could have been better but is a fitting conclusin to the album. 7.5/10

Overall rating - 9.5/10

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm a tad dissappointed so far, but I've only listened about twice through. I guess my expectations are kinda screwing up my reception, since I was kinda hoping for more clean hip hop (since my collection sorta lacks there) and didn't really find it, but just waiting for my lofty expectations to wear off a little. The beats are almost unanamously great, but some of the guest vocals didn't uphold their end of the bargain I think.

Hip Hop

- I wish they would have separated the skit from the song, but oh well. Pretty decent song, I feel what he's saying. He goes on a cussing spree in the second verse, but gets serious in the third. I like the chorus too. 7/10

Let Me See You Clap

- One of my favorite MC's. I wish the song were longer, and wish they did more with the chorus. I like that tamborine noise instead of a drum, makes the track memorable. One of my top 4 of the album. 8.5/10

Run That Back

- Great lyrics, awesome chorus. The third verse is outstanding too, as the two MC's kinda speak at the same time. The only reason this ain't a ten is because it is a little too downbeat depending on my mood. 9/10

The Definition

- I'm not too familiar with Kel. The beat is nice, and the lyrics are playful and coherent, but this song does grab me too much. It's one I'll have to listen to more. 6.5/10

Touch Me With Ur Handz

- Not really my style, and you can tell this singer doesn't have much range. I think this is one that can grow on me, because it is smooth, I'll give it that. It's kinda too long though. 6/10

Jeff N Fess

- Rhymefest I'm quite familiar with, and he is an up and coming MC. This seems like 3 verses of freestyles, but this is what I like about Rhymefest: a witty style, with some punchlines that are kinda meh mixed with punchlines that are poignant or hilarious ("f**k a pepperoini, what 'chu want on your tombstone"). An old-school styled track with the old-school way of freestyling. I wish there were a little more to the chorus though. One of my fav's. 9/10

Practice

-Man the beat is nice on this. I like the sample of Allen Iverson too. Jeff makes it sound like A.I. meant to say this for a song, he says "practice" so smoothly. J-Live was okay, but I've heard a lot better from him, he doesn't bring a lot of charisma to the track. Perhaps the sample of the chorus limited his creative ability with this one, but the song is highly listenable. 7.5/10

Supa Jean

- This was the only beat I didn't care for. I don't care if it's old-school, but it's been used time and time before. Jean actually gives a very good performance (as her style usually annoys me or turns me off) but this is a case where the chemistry wasn't quite there. It does give the album some variety however. 7/10

The Garden

- Sorry to say it, but quite disappointed by BDK's appearance. He sounds tired, and the second verse is cliche-ridden as well. This may grow on me, but the song is very downbeat. While BDK proves that he can still spit it lyrically, his topics are quite tired (at least coming from an underground perspective), and the chorus is poignant, but kinda cliched too. 7/10

She Was So Flyy

- Kardinal has a great rapping voice and flow. Some of his lyrics I didn't care for, but the chorus makes this one memorable. One of the more lighthearted tracks of the cd, but it works pretty well. 8/10

Hold It Down

- Nice beat here, and Method Man comes with a tight flow too. The first verse was surprisingly lyrical, but the second was kinda meh, and the chorus is either good or lackluster, depending on the listener's mood. 7.5/10

All I Know

- Like the opposite of "Supa Jean," this is a case where the chemistry makes the song better than the sum of its parts. I think CL gives an okay performance, but his voice just fits so damn well with the beat, making it near-classic status. The only minor gripe is that this song kinda lacks a topic. 9/10

Go See The Doctor 2K7

- I guess if I let my guard down, I might like this song a little more. The beat is pretty good, and the vocals are lighthearted and over the top. This song feels kinda awkward on the cd, and I think Cam'ron (of all people) did a better and funnier take on this topic a few years back. The ensuing skit is classic though. 6.5/10

My Soul Ain't For Sale

- This is a case where the second time I listened to the song, I had the window down and was driving through a crowded shopping center parking lot when I realized the strength of the song. It is quite good, and the chemistry is evident between Raheem and Jeff. Was Raheem on Jeff's first cd "The Magnificent"? Raheem does some pseudo- spoken word/rapping near the end that is a little corny, but overall the song is great. 9/10

Come On

- I like the recreation of a Marvin Gaye song. The rapping is literate and thoughful, if not kind of whiny. This song hasn't really grabbed me yet, although the elements are there to. I wish they would have played on "You're all I need to get by" theme a little more. 7/10

Peedi Peedi

- Surprisingly, I've only heard the original once or twice. Jeff definitely picks up for any of Peedi's deficiencies, although Peedi's style is kinda growing on me. 8/10

Overall and so far, this falls in between a 7 and 8 rating from me. I will be listening for weeks to come, and it will probably grow on me more. The content is a little more explicit than I'm used to Jeff supplying, but at least there are no rappers advocating drugs, guns, and materialism on here. The cd goes on a more downbeat and melodic vibes, but it good for riding around at night and the mood is cohesive throughout. Peace.

Finally found the able today at Circut City. I'm definitely glad I found the last TROTM that they had.

My Review

Hip Hop:

I like the intro skit, its definitely very original. But like others have said, I would have liked to seperate the actually track from the skit. The song itself is amazing. I really like this beat, Twone really fits over it. Scratches are fresh as usual, using the samples "Hip Hop" from Mos Def's Hip Hop among many other classic hip hop tracks and Common saying "Hip Hop." The rhymes are dope, and on point. Really great way to start off a classic album.

10/10

Let Me Hear You Clap:

This track is pretty nice. The beat sounds good. Gotta love the "Jeff's the DJ, I'm still the rapper" reference. The flow of De La Soul's is good. The rhymes are pretty laid back and has some cool lyrics. The vocal sample "Now Everybody Clap," sounds like some simon says/karoke thing though. Good track but not great.

7.5/10

Run That Back:

I gotta say this track has a little ol school feel to it. Nice and smooth, reminiscing of the golden age of hip hop. I gotta say its gem that has a great feel to it. I really like the chorus, and both verses are sick. Rhymes are flowing on this. At first glance, this song doesn't seem all that great, but if you actually give it a good listen, it sounds dope.

9/10

The Definiton:

Wow, another great track, no wonder why this album is what hip hop is missing. Kel definitely shows all his skills on this track, rhyming to a nice piano beat with more dope scratches. Definitely on a postive vibe, Kel definitely brings the real rhymes to the table for dinner. He even does a little singing at one point. As most JJFP fans already now, Kel has a lotta potential. Hopefully he gets his name out there.

9/10

Touch Me Wit Ur Handz:

Not really my type of song, due to the fact I don't listen to r&b. The production is good for being an r&b song. This song is very intimate, and chill. I probably won't be listening to this track very much any time soon, I'm just not feeling it. But if you like r&b, you will probably like this.

6.5/10

Jeff N Fess:

As any Gang Starr fan will recognize that this tight beat is from Manifest, Fess does well over it even though I personally like Manifest better. Good cuts and rhymes show on this jam. Not much to say about this because almost everyone has heard it.

8/10

Practice:

Now this song is AMAZING! Definitely one of my favorite tracks on the album, everything about it is perfect. I love the originality and concept of using Iverson's vocals for the chorus (very hilarious). I love the beat, very pete rockesque. To top everything off, J Live laces this song great lyrics. J Live is such a dope MC. I definitely need to buy more of stuff. Pure hip hop, enough said.

10/10

Supa Jean:

Like Touch Me Wit Ur Hands, this track really doesn't do it for me. Jean's rhymes aren't bad, but I'm just not into hearing the females spit (never really got into MC Lyte). The beat is decent, but not as good as most of Jeff's other stuff.

6/10

The Garden:

The Garden is another hidden gem. The beat flows well and has the signature JJ style to it. Like Run That Back, the Garden brings back good memories. I love the shout outs to JMJ, Biggie, 2pac, and Big L. More postive rhymes from the Big Daddy, showing that he can still flow well. Its cool to hear from Kane, cause he has made an album since Veteranz Day in 98. "Never let the game make you." Awesome stuff.

9/10

She Was So Flyy:

Nice love song, the beat is tight. Got an r&b feel to it, but it works well. I am kind of getting sick of hearing the word Fly though (no thanks to the mainstream), but this song is way better then anything else on the raido. Nice lyrics, good feel.

8/10

Hold It Down:

Lets just say that this track will be on repeat on my ipod for a long time. The beat along with the cuts are perfect. This song bumps very well and deserves to spun by every dj out there. Some funny lyrics by Method Man are awesome. Truthfully, I didn't think Method Man would kill the MIC like he did on this, but I was wrong. Another personal favorite.

10/10

All I Know:

Classic, timeless, and dope are all words that come to mind when I hear All I Know. Being a huge Pete Rock & CL fan, this song is the best track on TROTM in my opinion. Everything about this song fits perfectly. CL rhymes like he is in the prime of his career. Hip hop from the soul no doubt. All I know is that this is one of my favorite songs ever.

10/10

Go See the Doctor 2k7:

Silly concept to this song. I need to listen to it more though before I rate it and analyze it.

My Soul Ain't for Sale:

I know everyone like this song, but it I don't think its the best on the album. I personally think its pretty good. The beat is silky smooth, and the rhymes/singing flows with it.

7.5/10

Come On:

Deffinitely a very reconisable sample on this tune. Decent track, not up to par with the others though.

7/10

Brand New Funk 2k7:

Remake of a classic that wasn't as good as the actual classic but turned out alright. Nuff said.

7.5/10

Overall: 9.5/10 the TROTM is what all JJFP fans have been waiting for and Jeff never disappointed. There are some songs that aren't my flavor but there are too many stand out tracks that make up for them. Great album with clever skits. I know that I will be bumping this cd all summer and will always have it on a constant listen.

Edited by bart5

• Members

ok, so here comes old rockthehouse's review.... i won't review every single track...just what i like most after having listened to it twice...and what i don't like....

so i begin with that track feat. biz markie i'm just listening to for the first time: dope!! haha, i like it that biz raps and sings awful like he always did :)

the interludes are just damn funny...never heard better and funnier interludes on an album...i just can imagine jeff trying to get away with fast drivin by saying he's the "aaaah"-guy from TFPOBA...haha! ...and...people ask: yo will, where's carlton...ib et they do! haha

the definition has a great beat, but i'm afraid it's not a timeless like all i know in the sense that after a while you don't like it that much anymore....i always liked kel's style. so i do here.

i really like touch me with ur handz...that track easily could have been on Who's jill scott...very very good soul music.

all i know...best track on the album. perfect

go see the doctor...well i don't know the original, but what a grat track...has something jjfp-like to it...great beat, manages in a magical way to combine the feeling of a 80's hiphop track with nowadays conception of hiphop...love it.

come on....more of that! great lyrics dope dope dope

so, that's what i like most about the album after listening to it twice....what i didn't like was:

brand new funk 2k7....all those interlude just evoked soo much jjfp nostalgia in me that i'm really mad at jeff for not recording that track with will....that echoing of peedi's voice i don't like either ....so thumbs down

the other thing i don't like is: too much self-referentiality... for me it's ok if 2 or 3 songs on a hiphop album are about hiphop, rapping, mcs, djs and the music business...but here it's just vice versa....boring

so, i'll give it a 7.8 out of 10 .... maybe more after some more times listening to it.

Guest Guest_MIX PROFESSOR_*

OK I GOT TO ADD MY 2 CENTS IN ON THIS-GOING TO GET MYSELF IN THE RITE MOOD(LOOPING "FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME " ON SERATO-LOL).

GOING TO MAKE THIS BRIEF AND TO THE POINT:

1. HIP-HOP-7/10- IT IS A COOL TRACK BUT I FEL IT COULD USE A BETTER BEAT OR REMIX IT.

2.LET ME HEAR YOU CLAP-10/10-POS FLOWS NICELY OVERA FUNKY BEAT. NICE SAMPLE FROM THE "BEAT STREET"MOVIE BY JEFF. WOULD LOOP THE CHORUS TO START A PARTY OF(LET ME HEAR YOU CLAP).

3.RUN THAT BACK-7/10- COOL TRACK THOUGH THAT CAN USE A REMIX TO IT AS WELL.

4.THE DEFINTION- 7/10-COOL TRACK. IT HAS STARTED TO GROW ON ME MORE AS I LISTEN TO IT.

5. TOUCH ME WIT YOUR HANDS-8/10-SMOOTH TRACK TO CRUISE TO.ALSO PLAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH THAT SPECIAL SOMEONE JUST CHILLIN.

6.JEFF N FESS-9/10-I'M AN OLD SCHOOL HEAD SO THIS IS A GOOD REMIX OF THE GANGSTARR CLASSIC.JEFF LETS YOU KNOW THAT THE M.C. AND D.J. ARE ESSENTIAL FOR A TRACK.

7.PRACTICE-9/10-J-LIVE AND JEFF A DOPE COMBO. THEY NEED TO DO MORE SONGS TOGETHER.

8.SUPA JEAN-8/10-I'M FEELING THE USUAGE OF ONE OF THE FAVORITE BEATS IN HIP HOP(SUBSTITUTION).THOUGH I HAVE TO HEAR MORE OF JEAN GRAE'S STUFF TO REALLY SEE IF SHE IS AS DOPE AS OTHERS SAY SHE IS, STILL SHE DOES THE TRACK NICELY.

9.THE GARDEN-10/10-WITHOUT A DOUBT MY FAVORITE TRACK ON THE ALBUM-THIS HAS BECOME ONE OF MY FAVORITE TRACKS OF ALL TIME THAT JEFF HAS DONE(SIDE BY SIDE WITH "FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME"). KANE DOES THE DAM THING WITH MEANINGFUL LYRICS AND THE SMOOTH GUITAR TRACK BY JEFF. A TOAST TO KANE AND JEFF-THEY NEED TO DO SOME SHOWS TOGETHER SERIOUSLY!!!!

10.SHE WAS SO FLYY-10/10-DEFITELY HAS THE POTENTIAL TO REALLY BE A DANCEFLOOR ROCKER.NOT TO FAMALIAR WITH THE MATERIAL THAT KARDINAL OFFISHALL HAS DONE ,BUT IF HE KEEPS THIS UP I WILL LIKE TO HEAR MORE STUFF FROM HIM.

11.HOLD IT DOWN-8/10-JEFF BRINGS MR TICAL ONA BARRY WHITE SAMPLE TO GET BUSY. PRETTY GOOD STUFF. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE A REMIX TO THIS AS WELL-SOMETHING REAL GRITTY AND FUNKY!!!

12. ALL I KNOW-9/10-JEFF DID THE TRACK SO NICELY YOU THOUGHT C.L. SMOOTH'S FORMER PARTNER PETE ROCK HAD MADE IT. IT HAS C.L. SMOOTH WRITTEN ALL OVER IT. NICE HOOK.

13. GO SEE THE DOCTOR 2K7-7/10-I HAD A 6/10 FOR THIS TRACK BUT IT HAS GROWN ON ME SOMEWHAT.

STILL,CERTAIN SONGS DON'T NEED TO BE MESSED WITH!!!! BUT WITH ENUFF PLAY IT CAN BE A COOL DANCE FLOOR PLEASER.

14.MY SOUL AIN'T 4 SALE-10/10-ONCE AGAIN THE TEAM OF JEFF AND RAHEEM HAS REALLY PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE.THIS NEEDS MORE PLAY ON THE R&B STATIONS. THEY NEED TO WORK ON AN ALBUM TOGETHER. I'M SURE IT WOULD BE HOT!!! IF THIS TRACK AND MY PEOPLES FROM THE MAGNIFICENT IS ANY INDICATION OF THE GOODNESS FROM A FUTURE COLABORATION, THEY NEED TO REALLY THINK ON THE POSSIBILITIES-SMILING!!!!

15.COME ON-9/10-A DEFINTE HEADNODDER AND FOOTTAPPING SONG THAT CAN MAKE U APPRECIATE A SONG WITH A MESSAGE IN IT.

16. BRAND NEW FUNK 2K7-7/10-I ADMIRE THE ATTEMPT TO REMAKE THE CLASSIC TRACK BUT TO ME IT JUST DOESN'T HAVE ENUFF OF THE LIFE LIKE THE ORIGIANL DID. I WISH JEFF WOULD HAVE FREAKED THE SCRATCHES A LIL MORE DURING THE BREAK OF THE SONG. HE SHOULD HAVE FREAKED THE "ROCK THE BEAT "CHORUS MORE.

OVERALL, I AM PLEASED WITH THE ALBUM AND JEFF STILL RETAINS HIS TITLE AS THE MAGNIFICENT-OH YEAH THE SKITS WERE A PLUS AS WELL.

CONGRATS AGAIN JEFF!!!! :thumbsup:

P.S. SORRY YA'LL FORGOT TO SPACE OUT THE COMMENTS TO EACH TRACK. DID NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE CONGESTED FOR YOU TO READ.

I finally was able to pick it up. I avoided the songs on his myspace cuz I wanted to listen to the album all the way through. It's classic quality stuff from Jeff that'll only get better the more I listen to it. The skits were funny too (the one with Will was hilarious).

I've been waiting for a Hip Hop album like this to come out. We need it.

God Blessa!