JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TROTM Reviews

Yeah, when i read that this morning i waz 2 rushed 2 say that...but i agree. I think "My Soul Ain't 4 Sale" is maybe my favorite song off the album....until the good version of "Brand New Funk 2K7" is released that is.

• 2 weeks later...

DJ Jazzy Jeff :: The Return of the Magnificent :: BBE Records/Rapster

as reviewed by Arthur Gailes

"I got this rental car, and all it got is the radio, so you know I'ma hate that."

From the moment Jazzy Jeff says that on "Skit 1", it's assumed that "The Return of the Magnificent" will be taking a raw, back to the basics, underground approach. Not that that will surprise anybody familiar with Jeff's solo work. Most well known for his group work with Will Smith, DJ Jazzy Jeff has since moved deep into Philly's underground scene, producing great beats for himself and others.

Like his last album, "The Magnificent," this album is produced entirely by Jazzy Jeff, with a host of established names, and just as many unknowns. Like that album, Jeff's production contains a fairly large range vibes, influences, and tempos. It's mostly smooth and mostly hip hop, but he flips around with some very raw, stripped down beats ("The Definition") and some more lush ones ("Run That Back"). He even delves into R&B with "My Soul Ain't for Sale" featuring Raheem DeVaughn and "Touch Me With Your Hands," although the latter is the album's only misstep.

"The Return of The Magnificent" is the rare modern hip hop album that melds rapping, DJ cuts, and melodies efficiently, probably its biggest draw. Nearly every track gives him a chance to display his scratching technique, but in never feels forced, or takes away from the music. He can play the background of the hook on the upbeat "Hold it Down" featuring Method Man, or he can create it on "Let Me Hear U Clap" featuring Pos from De La Soul, or he can step back completely. He moves effortlessly between more and less active roles without causing a break in the music of the album, which gives it a very united feeling.

The beats are mostly slow and smooth, and mostly dominated by piano notes. Jeff doesn't operate entirely within this blueprint; the Latin-touched "Jeff n' Fess" (featuring Rhymefest) and the funky "What's Wrong with Him" (featuring Raheem DeVaughn) both break from his usual format effectively. The latter might be the best beat on the album, based entirely on drums and bass rhythms. He has a few other departures, which mostly work well, but Jeff's beats are usually at their best when staying within the low-key, piano-based blueprint.

Jazzy Jeff's production is almost always good, and sometimes even great. It's very consistent, which places the onus on the rappers to interact with him as well as possible. For the most part, they do well. Some big underground names show up here, more than on "The Magnificent." Jean Grae, Method Man, J-Live, Rhymefest and Black Ice all come up big for him. A couple of big old school names show up here as well: Big Daddy Kane on "The Garden," and C.L. Smooth on "All I Know," and they freak two of Jeff's best, smoothest beats:

Big Daddy Kane, "The Garden":

"Reflecting on the game, kid, I have to say

Much love to the one, Jam Master Jay

A loss that hit the world of hip hop like John Lennon

Chapter out of life that prevailed the wrong ending

Steal from the Notorious, hearts is shifting

The streets started looking like we miss a part of Brooklyn

A disappointing flavor that we tasted before

But the spot lay secure for the late Shakur..."

C.L. Smooth, "All I Know":

"I'm just an ordinary man, with an unordinary lifestyle

Seemed early I would live as a child

I was conceived a mistake

But through God is really all it take

For me to be born and make the earth shake

This was raised from the bottom

So before them plain clothes got him

Soak up the four square mouths to pop 'em

It's me in the flesh, here to put the rumors to rest

And let you celebrate hip hop's best"

The basic concept of this album is that Jazzy Jeff is going on a road trip with only the radio in his car, and this is what he hears. There are a few short skits that chronicle this which are mostly amusing, and he ends up declaring that "maybe there's hope after all." If this were to make the radio, it would mark a complete shift in modern tastes, but it would also mark a very good one. "The Return of The Magnificent" is one of the most smoothly produced albums in the past few years, and a more than worthy pickup for even the most casual Rap fan.

Music Vibes: 9 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 7.5 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 8 of 10

source: rapreviews.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a question about "Go See The Doctor", especially the end of the song (the skit)

I'd like to know what Will & Jeff are saying in this extract :

http://blog.kokoom.com/uploads/r/Romano338/235235.wav

The only part I can clearly understand is "Where you at?".

I posted that on 2 english forums, and the suggestions are really diversified :

"- Where you at?

- ???

- Ok You still feel me?

- You're a legend"

(I'm sure it's not that)

"- Where you at?

- ???

- Ok You still filming?

- Yeah, I Am Legend"

(someone suggest me "You still filming", and I added "Yeah I Am Legend", cause I think I hear "legend", and the song is from 2007, like the movie's filming)

"- Where you at?

- I'm still on the other side.

- Ok, still affermative?

- Yeah, major"

(I'm pretty sure it's not that)

And what I personally think :

"- Where you at?

- I'm still on the other side. (or "On the other side")

- Ok You still filming?

- Yeah, I Am Legend"

(the "other side" part is not sure, cause Jeff is at Philly or Atlanta (cf : what he is saying before in the song), and I Am Legend is in New York, so it is on the same side. But maybe Will is at L.A., and not exactly filming I Am Legend ?)

Can anybody help me please ?

PS : maybe I will ask some help for an other moment of the song later !

Thanks

Edited by Romano338

This is what is said:

WILL

Schnazzaline

JEFF

What's up man?

WILL

Just a match and a little bit of gasoline

JEFF

What’s up with you?

WILL

What’s going on man?

JEFF

Where you at?

WILL

Err. On the set

JEFF

Oh ok. You still filming?

WILL

Yeah. Legend

JEFF

Oh ok. Let me ask you a question. Man I’ve been riding, I’m on my way down to Atlanta just thinking about this. But um... do people...ever...ask you...where’s Jazzy Jeff at?

WILL

What you mean?

JEFF

You know like when people..people see me on the street. They be like “you Jazzy Jeff ah man, you know where’s Will Smith at?” Like, I’m just curious like do people ever say “Hey Will, where’s Jazzy Jeff at?”

WILL

Errrmm....uh ah...I mean...nah

JEFF

Like...never?

WILL

I mean like...let me see...uh ah

JEFF

Hmmm.

WILL

Yeah like.. Like pretty much...like nah

JEFF

Cool...ummmm....alight well ummmm I am...

WILL

I mean, I mean sometimes you know they’ll say you “Yo yo where’s Carlton”

JEFF

Hmmm

WILL

You know something like, most of the time like certain people say “Hey where’s Jada?” You know stuff like that. Now with errr The Pursuit of Happyness like people be like “Where’s Jaden? Where’s your son?” I love that

JEFF

Ok...Alright man, you know, I was just reaching out. Just finding out you know how, how how everything's going

WILL

So you driving?

JEFF

Yeah yeah, I’m I’m driving. I’m just going.. You know get back. Listen to some music and all that. So ummm..you know I’m a holla at you next week. You know make sure everything's cool

WILL

Alright...we straight?

JEFF

Yeah I’m good...I’m good...cool

WILL

Why you sound funny?

JEFF

Nah I’m I’m alright man. You know, I can dig it. But ummmm... so...I’m a holla at you you know I’m a call you next week. I may try to come up there

WILL

Alright I’ll be there man

JEFF

Alright man

WILL

Nothing but love baby

JEFF

Alright man