JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Record Labels Now Agree Hip Hop Is Dead

JamesUK

Was reading this article about British artist's in America and this caught my eye:

"Interland, who signed Blunt on a "gut feeling" that his music would appeal to audiences around the world, says the time is ripe for British acts to make headway in the US.

"Right now, the American market is in a little bit of a black hole with regards to good music.

"There's some interesting things but most of it is a bit samey. Hip-hop has got into a bit of a glut," he says.

Chris Dwyer at Universal Records agrees"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6506763.stm

I think now were really gonna see a big change in whats played on the radio, it's already happend in England, now other country's are starting.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, no matter how crappy the mainstream is right now, hip isn't dead in my opinon. As long as there are real rap artists (KRS One, Nas, ect.), taggers spraying up the subways, dudes making up crazier breakdances moves, and dope DJs throwing mixes and scratches (JJ, Premo), hip hop will not die.

Its good its commercially dead to a certain extent. Hopefully it'll have a rebirth soon in a new better form.

Yeah I agree with that, there's no reason for me to check the mainstream radio for good hip-hop since they don't play it, I'm happy with playing my CDs and tapes, I love digging through ebay for stuff, plus I enjoy online radio stations, you could see a lot of cool videos from that pc as well, the internet really has become the new underground source for hip-hop to exist, Chuck D from Public Enemy calls MP3s the new 45 inch records, it's much more convienant now, even when you see Jazzy Jeff doing shows he has less stuff to carry than he'd 20 years ago with Fresh Prince, technology is the rebirth to me... Word of mouth travels far around the worldwide web, now as a friendly reminder we gotta get that JJFP.com radio back again one day Tim...

Yeah, in reference to Mims saying "I could sell a million saying nothing on the track". That's very ironic. One, because we all wish he would say nothing on the track. And two, because in true sense, the beat is what's gonna "sell him a million". Yeah, Ted we should have the radio back. Or do another music podcast. Or better yet, actually do this Community Album. Hopefully, this small instance grows.

Yo, no matter how crappy the mainstream is right now, hip isn't dead in my opinon. As long as there are real rap artists (KRS One, Nas, ect.), taggers spraying up the subways, dudes making up crazier breakdances moves, and dope DJs throwing mixes and scratches (JJ, Premo), hip hop will not die.

wrong! you can't always take the originators as an indicator for the state of hiphop. where are all the young talented MCs? those who should continue where KRS, JJ, PE stopped? i can't see them. i just see all the bad influence "hip hop" is making right now. Like Jeff said, HipHop is around the world, well thats great but all you hear is bull****.

don't tell me that hiphop is alive or whatever or are you happy with the fact that Will doesn't get the respect he deserves? thats just one example, there are many more, just think about it.

FUQ FUQ!!!... ha. i was just thinkin bout you... and was thinking about the community album just yesterday!!! Hip Hop aint ALL the way dead, with alla this talent comin up on THIs site!!... I really wanna see you guys get buzy on this album...

xo,

cookie

wrong! you can't always take the originators as an indicator for the state of hiphop. where are all the young talented MCs? those who should continue where KRS, JJ, PE stopped? i can't see them. i just see all the bad influence "hip hop" is making right now. Like Jeff said, HipHop is around the world, well thats great but all you hear is bull****.

don't tell me that hiphop is alive or whatever or are you happy with the fact that Will doesn't get the respect he deserves? thats just one example, there are many more, just think about it.

Dude, if hip hop exists around the world and exists in the uderground, then it STILL exists. Thats all I'm trying to say. There are talented MCs that still do their thing today no matter what how screwed up the main stream is. J Live, Common, Talib Kweli, Lupe, ect. Just because there aren't as many young talented hip hop artists out today doesn't mean that hip hop is dead. Just like the NBA. There aren't as many great young players today as there were in the past. Just because MJ, Bird, Magic, and Kareem are retired and nobody in the NBA has their skill level, doesn't mean that the NBA is dead. Same thing with hip hop.

Hip Hop IS alive in my opinion, and if you want to go ahead and let main stream destroy hip hop for you, then go ahead. But I choose to not listen to that BS and listen to real hip hop.

Will does get some respect from fans and other hip hop artists. Many videos and articles have been posted on this site with rappers saying they have love for Will. Sure, he might not get the respect that is due, but he still gets some respect.

Also, you are forgetting that hip hop is more then just rap. If rap does indeed died because of commercialized rap, then graffiti/breakdancing/djing aren't neccessarily gone.

These are my opinions on this bro.

Edited by bart5

Like many have said. Hip-Hop will never die. It's just pretty dead when it comes 2 Hip-Hop getting commercial success. Which is sad...but sometimes u gotta kill something off so that it can be reborn. In the meantime, there is some good stuff out there, u just gotta dig 4 it. Besides, there's tons of 80's and 90's Hip-Hop 2 look 4.

Otherwise, depending on your taste, there's other genres 2 check in2.

The main reason why mainstream rap music is dead not hip hop is because the hip hop audience...record labels and radio stations just do their job by playing the most popular or the best selling artists! Back in the golden era no one would have called artist such as Eminem or Jay-Z legends!

Hip-Hop aint dead...just gotta clear some differences, hip-pop & hip-hop

Yeah really that's what sums it up